(ot) Torture -The Guantanamo Guidebook

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
steve-o

Post by steve-o » Mon May 14, 2007 10:27 pm

"According to a recent study conducted by Seton Hall University School of Law, 55 percent of the people detained at the facility since September of 2001 had committed no hostile acts against the United States or its allies. Only 5 percent of detainees were captured by American forces. On the other hand, 86 percent were turned over by Pakistani and Northern Alliance forces during the time when the United States offered rewards for Taliban fighters and other enemy combatants. According to the study 60 percent of the Guantanomo detainees remain imprisoned on charges supported only by vague assertions that these detainees were associated with the Taliban or Al Qaeda, rather than being members of those groups or fighting for those groups." http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/02/13/154409.php

http://law.shu.edu/news/guantanamo_repo ... _08_06.pdf

http://law.shu.edu/news/second_report_g ... _final.pdf

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/03/23/ ... 3gitmo.php

pilcrow

Post by pilcrow » Mon May 14, 2007 11:17 pm

dango wrote: if my village was bombed, invaded and pillaged by a bunch of assholes from far away i would try to defend myself to.
You're referring to the Taliban? They weren't assholes from far away. They were assholes right there. Not such a Talifan myself.

jamester

Post by jamester » Tue May 15, 2007 1:55 am

I'm not a Leftie or a Rightie. In fact, I usually dislike both "sides" equally.

I am a true American - I don't trust my government, and I demand accountability for for any proven mistakes or wrongdoings. Accountability is something this administration sorely lacks, to the point of blatant arrogance.

I love when Bush supporters try to make it seem like everything's fine NOW, and that anything in the past should be immediately forgotten.

"Gitmo's all cleaned up now, so what's the problem?"

Well, maybe it is or isn't but what about the past five dirty years? What are we doing to reprimand those that did the wrongdoings? How are the detainees being justly compensated for the cruel treatment they never should've had in the first place? By not being tortured any more?

"Don't call the new troop surge plan a failure before it has a chance to work."
Well, what about the past four years of utter incompetence and failure? Why am I to have faith in this redundant plan, when it hasn't worked in four years? Why are we supposed to be supportive of a plan NOW, when no plan yet has worked at all? We've been told consistantly all along that we're making such progress, that we're achieving great success and accomplishing our goals there.

I could go on and on and on......

Wikipedia: Guantanamo Bay Naval Base
Beginning in 2002, a small portion of the base was used to imprison and torture several hundred individuals — some of whom were captured by US forces in Afghanistan, though the majority were 'bought' for a substantial bounty (generally in the region of $US 5000) from various warlords and mercenaries both in Afghanistan and elsewhere — at Camp Delta, Echo, Camp Iguana, and the now-closed Camp X-Ray.
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

RT

Post by RT » Tue May 15, 2007 2:11 am

[quote="jamester"]I'm not a Leftie or a Rightie. In fact, I usually dislike both "sides" equally.

I am a true American - I don't trust my government, and I demand accountability for for any proven mistakes or wrongdoings. Accountability is something this administration sorely lacks, to the point of blatant arrogance.

I love when Bush supporters try to make it seem like everything's fine NOW, and that anything in the past should be immediately forgotten.
[b]
"Gitmo's all cleaned up now, so what's the problem?"[/b]
Well, maybe it is or isn't but what about the past five dirty years? What are we doing to reprimand those that did the wrongdoings? How are the detainees being justly compensated for the cruel treatment they never should've had in the first place? By not being tortured [i]any more[/i]?

[b]"Don't call the new troop surge plan a failure before it has a chance to work."[/b]
Well, what about the past four years of utter incompetence and failure? Why am I to have faith in this redundant plan, when it hasn't worked in four years? Why are we supposed to be supportive of a plan NOW, when no plan yet has worked at all? We've been told consistantly all along that we're making such progress, that we're achieving great success and accomplishing our goals there.

I could go on and on and on......

[b]Wikipedia: Guantanamo Bay Naval Base[/b]
[quote]Beginning in 2002, a small portion of the base was used to imprison and torture several hundred individuals — some of whom were captured by US forces in Afghanistan, though the majority were 'bought' for a substantial bounty (generally in the region of $US 5000) from various warlords and mercenaries both in Afghanistan and elsewhere — at Camp Delta, Echo, Camp Iguana, and the now-closed Camp X-Ray. [/quote][/quote]

I don't think its as much everythings alright there now as much as it is trying to make the best of a real bad situation bush has gotten america into. Now america is stuck with these 300 people left down there who half their own countries dont want back or even if they are sent back will face even worse treatment by their own governments being hung killed. how does bush fix this mess hes made himself? you cannot. move them to the mainland they can still be tortured, cannot have open trials with many of them because of sensitive information. cannot let them all go free because it is dangerous and the very dangerous ones might do terror acts. what is solution?