Live 7's Missing Features?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
diverdee

Post by diverdee » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:51 pm

Groove quantizing - it's almost there, what with lives warping features & now rex import & creation of the attendant midi files, surely groove quantize is a logical progression from this?
I see no reference to a less laborious way to copy clips together with their attendant automation included from the arrange to session view either, the pain in the arse nature of that particular operation turned me off live somewhat.

davec1

Post by davec1 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:55 pm

I would really enjoy more freedom with mapping keys to commands in live....

most of all I'd like live to accept programm change messages so I can play live without having to stand next to the laptop...but I don't think it's included in live 7...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:11 pm

davec1 wrote:I would really enjoy more freedom with mapping keys to commands in live....

most of all I'd like live to accept programm change messages so I can play live without having to stand next to the laptop...but I don't think it's included in live 7...
What do you mean "accept"?
Live doesn't record program changes but thats about all. You can send a PC from a clip or from a controller.

Nod

Post by Nod » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:13 pm

evoid wrote:OSC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WHERE IS OSC??????? can't believe it.... 8O
I assume it hasn't been included in the update because a) only a v. small minority of users would use it at this stage and b) the very large majority do still use MIDI which, since it's introduction in v4, has been poorly implemented. Still would've like to have seen an improvement in MIDI 'Automap' to include savable, manual clips/definitions for each VST/VSTi for ALL hardware rather than proprietary support for specific hardware devices alongside crossfades, bezier curves and track folders. How come the new drum rack has them, after a fashion, and this can't then be implemented across the program? And where on earth is the ability to record CC's into Session? 8O All in all tho' the update to the core program does look good.... 8)

As for the instruments/sample libraries - no big deal. Those drum machine samples are already widely available (shoulda hired Magnus and built an uberuber Microtonic for Live), there's about 3 million plugs out there for free doing similar synthage and as for the Orchestral stuffage Ableton is going up against the likes of EWQL, Vienna and Garritan - so unless they are absolutely top notch in both the sound, control & articulation options they may well have a pink elephant on their hands.

99reese

Post by 99reese » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:32 pm

Any word on the improvement of warped sounds - especially BASSLINES??

davec1

Post by davec1 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:40 pm

Live doesn't record program changes but thats about all. You can send a PC from a clip or from a controller.

I meant that live devices should react to pc messages. in order to not have to stand next to my laptop when playing live. yes, I know, there's workarounds with racks, but for one thing, if you assign switching through rack chains to a knob or a fader, how precise will actually be when trying to select a patch in a live situation? and I still think it must be a silly waste to load 29 instances of an instrument instead of just one and switching through its programmes, even though some claim it doesn't cause any extra load on the system. I find that hard to believe.[/quote]

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:52 pm

I have to say I'm pretty disapointed.

Live is still my sequencer of choice, although I have started to use Cubase more recently.

But -

The irritating ommisions still grate. Live is supposed to be about ease of use.

In addition to all the missing 'standard' DAW stuff already mentioned how about a simple right cick tool menu Scissors ?! Coloured warp markers more shortcuts for muting solo etc.

Things to make life a bit easier !

I still find it incredible that Ableton are charging so much for the add on synths etc. It wouldn't be so bad if the program actually came with some decent synths to start with. All the major and minor DAW's have this for heavens sake!

I'm hoping I'm proved wrong, but feeling pretty underwhelmed by this :|
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

CSewell

Post by CSewell » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:55 pm

My needs are so simple. So very simple. A midi command for "undo" and "next set".
Oh well.
1Ghz Powerbook, Variax 300, Axon AX100 MkII, PodLiveXT, Reason 3.0, Live 6, Stylus RMX, Trilogy, Guitar Rig, Taylor 814Ce, Boss RC-50, Gibson EDP, FCB1010

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:57 pm

If I understand davec1, then I'd like that, too. What I want, specifically, is the ability to easily assign any given MIDI PC to a saved effect preset, so that the effect loads up that preset without me having to touch my laptop. I'm a guitarist. My hands are busy enough.

I read about, and saved, the tip about using a rack chain of some kind to switch among presets with MIDI, and I'm sure it's cool, but it looks tedious to set up, so I would hope Ableton could make it simpler and make all that work unnecessary.

On the more realistic front, I really expected to see these, because they are not difficult concept to implement:
Manually defining the MIDI assignments (without having to move a physical MIDI fader)
- Improved mapping of MIDI values to parameter values (define ranges, automatic midi not to frequency conversion etc)
All it takes is some numerical input boxes. It's not rocket surgery. Sheesh.

I'd also like to see full access to all the controls that, so far, are only accessible via "Mackie Emulation". I don't buy software so that I can be locked into certain hardware. That's just plain wrong. Now I'm limited to using MIDI channel 1 because of that greedy little scheme, and that makes it tough to integrate other bits of old hardware that aren't flexible about their MIDI channel usage. The artificial obstacle is my biggest complaint with Live.

BTW, I think a pink elephant would need a lot of sunscreen.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:26 pm

davec1 wrote:

I meant that live devices should react to pc messages. in order to not have to stand next to my laptop when playing live. yes, I know, there's workarounds with racks, but for one thing, if you assign switching through rack chains to a knob or a fader, how precise will actually be when trying to select a patch in a live situation? and I still think it must be a silly waste to load 29 instances of an instrument instead of just one and switching through its programmes, even though some claim it doesn't cause any extra load on the system. I find that hard to believe.
Fair enough. No harm in trying out the claim though.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:26 pm

Nod wrote:
evoid wrote:OSC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WHERE IS OSC??????? can't believe it.... 8O
I assume it hasn't been included in the update because a) only a v. small minority of users would use it at this stage and b) the very large majority do still use MIDI which, since it's introduction in v4, has been poorly implemented. Still would've like to have seen an improvement in MIDI 'Automap' to include savable, manual clips/definitions for each VST/VSTi for ALL hardware rather than proprietary support for specific hardware devices alongside crossfades, bezier curves and track folders. How come the new drum rack has them, after a fashion, and this can't then be implemented across the program? And where on earth is the ability to record CC's into Session? 8O All in all tho' the update to the core program does look good.... 8)

As for the instruments/sample libraries - no big deal. Those drum machine samples are already widely available (shoulda hired Magnus and built an uberuber Microtonic for Live), there's about 3 million plugs out there for free doing similar synthage and as for the Orchestral stuffage Ableton is going up against the likes of EWQL, Vienna and Garritan - so unless they are absolutely top notch in both the sound, control & articulation options they may well have a pink elephant on their hands.
Agree with you on all of this. Also expected the ability to trancelate midi events into sequences of multiple keystrokes, so that when playing live, you could have a series of events happening with the pressing of just one button. (Like Kid Beyond does with midi trancelator and midipedals) And was of cource expecting custom shortcuts. Tracktion have had a fullscreen page to do only that since v1!

dpel

Post by dpel » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:40 pm

NOTE CHASE!!!???
Dave Pelman Music
http://www.davepelman.com

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:46 pm

CSewell wrote:My needs are so simple. So very simple. A midi command for "undo" and "next set".
Oh well.
I think the first one is within your grasp, via the tips outlined here:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 7&start=75

Basically, you have to use a MIDI controller on MIDI ch. 1 and set Live as if it's connected to a Mackie Control board. There are links there to a table or spreadsheet that shows what each MIDI note does. One of them is Undo.

The second one [I assume you mean "load an Ableton Live Set file"] stumps me. That's frequently requested, but I think the point of a Set is to have all you need in that one Set file.

davec1

Post by davec1 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:04 pm

guitarist here, too, mooncaine...yes, I think we mean the samen thing.

another irritating thing abouth the rack workaround is the increased load time it would cause...I'm working on having a whole live set within a "live" set. with pc, that means just one instance of every vsti etc. with racks, well...

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:08 pm

Kodama wrote: Did Operator get anything at all?
Operator got a high-quality option that uses alias-free oscillators, and it sounds amazing.