Loops in Worship, Church Settings

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:20 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
crumhorn wrote:I have a lot of sympathy with your point of view (that's why I call myself agnostic rather than atheist) but unfortunately it reminded by of this --> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=00QU2jtjkR4

Now that tune is going to haunt my brain for days.
do you know how much pussy they got with a name like The Bachelors singing those songs??

seriously, this shit is no different than an Apple fanboy ranting "buy a mac!!" in a thread where someone's looking to buy a PC. it's just rude, nobody gives a fuck about your feelings the OP just wants to throw down some church music.

stfu, gtfo, kthxbye.
Just trying to lighten the tone, and didn't want lm to think I was taking the piss out of him. this thread is already hijacked beyond repair.

What does kthxbye stand for?
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:28 pm

kewl. I'm so apathetic today, blah blah, rant, blah blah, 90 minutes until the bar opens!!

kthxbye - interweb obnoxiousness for
OK, thanks, bye.

I'm no Christian but I think it would suck if every time someone broached the topic in all earnestness is gets shut down, which is does, every single time.

interweb, meh.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:36 pm

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:09 am

Wether you believe in god or not, you should read this... either side of the argument it will raise questions. It's not a long piece... and very enjoyable to read.

http://www.nowscape.com/godsdebris.pdf

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:28 am

or read this: Omega Point

EDIT, wikipedia links don't work in forums when they have brackets, apparently...

copy paste this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Point_(Tipler)
Last edited by SimonPHC on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

terragong

Post by terragong » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:19 am

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:50 am

Other gods?

Hmmm, that already raises more questions than I care to give a shit about.

Try reading this:

"On The Origin Of Species" - Charles Darwin

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:12 am

UKRuss wrote:Other gods?

Hmmm, that raises questions
Hadn't you heard? There are quite a few universal omnipotent entities, so many in fact that lots of people think it's very important to have a big fight about which one is the best.

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:37 am

Tone Deft wrote: I'm no Christian but I think it would suck if every time someone broached the topic in all earnestness is gets shut down, which is does, every single time.

interweb, meh.
yeah but you of all people can't talk!! :lol: :wink:

you have to view this forum as like a big pub where everyone can hear what everyone else is saying and the responses back that up really - IMO there's little harm in the responses - most of the people posting have been posting here a long time and know each other well by interweb standards

and yeah as others have said, it's always a controversial topic that's bound to bring people out of the woodwork, even if only to make jokes or whatever

I kinda liked Leisuremuffins take on it actually

I'm not really sure what there is specific about "worship music" that's different to just "music" but if the OP feels there is something then fair enough, but I think by 2009 most people posting on an anonymous internet forum know the stakes

Jesus kinda screwed everyone when he said "go and preach my message to the world" and millions took him seriously - now well meaning christians have to put up with the prejudice that comes from all of us who grew up in Christian countries regarding them with suspicion and hijacking threads like this!

:wink:

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:08 pm

forge wrote:
I kinda liked Leisuremuffins take on it actually

I'm not really sure what there is specific about "worship music" that's different to just "music" but if the OP feels there is something then fair enough, but I think by 2009 most people posting on an anonymous internet forum know the stakes

:
Very romantic view, LM's view, unfortunately for me it isnt about whats nice or what someones personal experience is, it is what actually is happening that matters. I'd rather spend my time trying to understand that.

On your second point though, that was the whole reason I originally responded with my "I only have atheist loops".

Tone's liberal approach is also nice, leave and let it be, poor christians always getting it in the neck. No, not for me, sorry. The thread title says it all.

"We're different to you. In fact we're different to you in a superior way, so much so that we have our own uber music with uber loops that can only apply to worship music, with (and I quote from the title) "church settings".

OK, I might be reading too much into that in that the OP is genuinely interested in understanding how to play live music in a church and enquiring about what settings to use perhaops in terms of reverb or EQ?

However, even in this case the question could be "I play music in a large space with lots of reflective surfaces what kind of things do I need to take into account?"

Why should he not make reference to his faith though in his search for worship music loops? I don't know, perhaps the OP can clarify exactly what it is that differentiates worship loops from any other loops. I imagine there is something fundamental (sic) about it.

I, however, like most people have been exposed to churches at some stage in my life, even singing in a choir as a boy and I never, never once felt there was anything in my experience that made the music different to other music, other than the lyrics...

No.

For me, the OP knew damn well what he was doing when he posted.

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:09 pm

BTW - I really can't believe no one's mention the Amen break yet! ;-)

Incy

whatever

Post by Incy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:33 pm

i thought about this...

if fmckinnon's post engaged in some specific ideas like pumping a church organ sample with a side chain or least explained that a pastor wanted to do a sermon in a rap for fun, then i'd be inclined to help.

however, the nature of the post at the top of the thread is a promotion of an evangelical forum who's purpose is outreach. his intent is to spread the word. hence, fmkinnon is free game for criticism by stepping into this secular forum and does not deserve any special considerations over anyone else promoting an external link.

he's a christian; he's knows what to expect from a forum that's generally unmoderated.

his intent is clear:

http://www.intensedebate.com/users/294789

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:22 pm

without a doubt sir, without a doubt.

Although I thought more about it myself and thought I shouldn't knock it unless I've tried it so i am going to write a tune using some "worship loops"

These are the topcis I've chosen:

Slavery:

"When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property."
Exodus 21:20-21

Homophobia:

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives."
Leviticus 20:13

Has anyone got any cool loops i can use to really bring these themes out in my tracks?

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:32 pm

UKRuss wrote:without a doubt sir, without a doubt.

Although I thought more about it myself and thought I shouldn't knock it unless I've tried it so i am going to write a tune using some "worship loops"

These are the topcis I've chosen:

Slavery:

"When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property."
Exodus 21:20-21

Homophobia:

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives."
Leviticus 20:13

Has anyone got any cool loops i can use to really bring these themes out in my tracks?
There is one loop, and one alone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac

http://www.atechproject.com/word-stock/amen-break.html

http://www.constructingtheuniverse.com/ ... %20GR.html
Last edited by forge on Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baron von Case

Post by Baron von Case » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:40 pm

Who is God?