Invaders Must Die

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DrXparaMental

Re: Invaders Must Die

Post by DrXparaMental » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:00 pm

beats me wrote: On the more Industrial side I would listen to bands like KMFDM, Front 242, Front Line Assembly, Wumpscut, Velvet Acid Christ, Razed in Black, etc. I'm not really into the more experimental sounding stuff done sometimes by Skinny Puppy or Download.
I like a lot of stuff across the board. Skinny Puppy is a once in a while listen for me. Lately I have really been into DJ Swamp, X Marks the Pedwalk, Cherrie Blue, Econoline Crush, Diatribe, Pelican, Down, Crystal Method, Nick Terranova/Starkillers,Squarepusher etc.

I can't even explain why I like what I like, it just moves me undeniably

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:09 pm

beats me wrote: On the more Industrial side I would listen to bands like KMFDM, Front 242, Front Line Assembly, Wumpscut, Velvet Acid Christ, Razed in Black, etc. I'm not really into the more experimental sounding stuff done sometimes by Skinny Puppy or Download.
Yeah his voice (Pitchshifter) has never been terribly unique, I just prefer a bark or lower register than a sing song whine like on the later stuff. The lyrics are really pretty cool stuff though, Infotainment in some ways is a metal/industrial RATM record.

He, Bay Area metal! Those bands were around when I was in SF that puts you at about 35. Metal wise I go for the brutally hard or ridiculous. :lol: Slayer, Gorgoroth, Meshugah, Nailbomb, Godflesh..... and again for industrial though I like some of the EBM stuff, I lean further into the experimental stuff, Coil, Laibach, Skinny Puppy/Download, Techno Animal, yelworC, Allied Vision, NON, Whitehouse etc. EBM wise- Velvet Acid Christ, Suicide Commando, Combchrist, Hocico, Android Lust, and Attrition.

On this line, Throbbing Gristle are doing a tiny reunion tour, couple dates in Chicago, LA, SF etc. I already got tickets for SF, pretty certain within the next five years they'll stop playing or one of them is going to kick, so this could easily be it. <--- talk about a band that changed the face of music!

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:45 pm

Ball Sack wrote:
beats me wrote:
aqua_tek wrote:not feeling it. too much pendulum in it.
Would you like to join my The New Prodigy is Meh street team?
I don't think the new stuff is that good either. But i don't think you like this type of music anyway so stop going on negative about it.

It's not good to go on an slate someone's art, either you like it or you don't.... move on.
I don't think anyone's slating on anyone's art (though I haven't read the entire thread). I, for one part, just said I'm not feeling it.

Not the same as saying "its a shitty album and whoever listens to it needs to get their head checked" :wink:

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Too lazy to double quote….

During my metal, and later my goth, years musically I didn't get much deeper than what the diehards would consider quintessential artists, enough to have a surface conversation with people in the scene but not enough for the true fanatics. I have a friend who spins electronica at a radio station and as much as of a diverse music collection as I have he's always rifling off obscure artist names like I hang out with all of them on weekends, but I don't know who the fuck he is talking about most of the time. When you like a lot of different genres you can't be an expert on all of them.

The first time I heard Prodigy was Firestarter at a Goth club of all places. I didn't hear their earlier releases until years later and found it a little too raver cheese for my taste at the time. So I guess my point of reference is firmly planted in Fat of the Land which I think was groundbreaking on a lot of different levels. I guess I just expect them to keep breaking ground which might be a little much to ask….and yet I keep asking.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:53 pm

beats me wrote:Too lazy to double quote….

During my metal, and later my goth, years musically I didn't get much deeper than what the diehards would consider quintessential artists, enough to have a surface conversation with people in the scene but not enough for the true fanatics. I have a friend who spins electronica at a radio station and as much as of a diverse music collection as I have he's always rifling off obscure artist names like I hang out with all of them on weekends, but I don't know who the fuck he is talking about most of the time. When you like a lot of different genres you can't be an expert on all of them.

The first time I heard Prodigy was Firestarter at a Goth club of all places. I didn't hear their earlier releases until years later and found it a little too raver cheese for my taste at the time. So I guess my point of reference is firmly planted in Fat of the Land which I think was groundbreaking on a lot of different levels. I guess I just expect them to keep breaking ground which might be a little much to ask….and yet I keep asking.
I'm machinesworking, and I endorse this post.

No I can't knock Fat of the Land, and don't care as much for their earlier work, I just like this one better than Always Outnumbered, that's all.

On the obscurest tip, a good friend whom I'm in communication about a side project with is absolutely the undisputed king of near retarded obscurest music. His record collection is about 10,000 strong, CD's and vinyl, I could very easily say out of the probably 1500 or so group represented, I know less than 50. 8O Pretty cool to go over and have listening parties with, name a style and mood, and he'll try to pull up something, that guaranteed you've never heard before. He does that routine to me all the time, "Remember track 8 on Vas Deference Societies last recording!"

"Vas Deference who??"

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:56 pm

Machinesworking wrote:

No I can't knock Fat of the Land, and don't care as much for their earlier work, I just like this one better than Always Outnumbered, that's all.

On the obscurest tip, a good friend whom I'm in communication about a side project with is absolutely the undisputed king of near retarded obscurest music. His record collection is about 10,000 strong, CD's and vinyl, I could very easily say out of the probably 1500 or so group represented, I know less than 50. 8O Pretty cool to go over and have listening parties with, name a style and mood, and he'll try to pull up something, that guaranteed you've never heard before. He does that routine to me all the time, "Remember track 8 on Vas Deference Societies last recording!"

"Vas Deference who??"
:D

Sometimes when my friends and I get together sporting our laptops or ipods we start listening to music and it starts out polite and balanced with 1 song then pass, but as the drinks continue to flow suddenly the 1 track turns into 3 or 4 in a row until somebody is screaming "It's my turn now!!" Or the worst is when you go into funny youtube videos until somebody tries to bully you into watching a full movie. I don't know about you but when I'm all amped up on booze I don't want to quietly sit down and watch a 2 hour movie at 1 AM.

Then there's this situation

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/55260

Voodu

Post by Voodu » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:18 am

I take back anything bad I may have said about this album. It's been pretty much the only thing I've been listening to for a few days and it keeps getting better somehow.

The tunes on this album have a way of getting stuck in your head even thought there is nothing overtly "catchy" in the songs.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Voodu wrote:I take back anything bad I may have said about this album. It's been pretty much the only thing I've been listening to for a few days and it keeps getting better somehow.

The tunes on this album have a way of getting stuck in your head even thought there is nothing overtly "catchy" in the songs.
8)

mkelly

Post by mkelly » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:02 pm

Voodu wrote:The tunes on this album have a way of getting stuck in your head even thought there is nothing overtly "catchy" in the songs.
Even the Fatboy Slim-alike album closer?
Live 7, Logic Studio 8, Mac Pro 8-core/2.26/6GB, OS X 10.5.6, Saffire Pro 40, Alesis M1 Active 520s, Remote SL 37, Virus TI Snow, Nord Rack 2, Zebra 2, Sylenth1

Voodu

Post by Voodu » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:31 am

That little number is my least favorite and that's usually when I shut off.

mkelly

Post by mkelly » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:56 am

It's a very poor finish to an album. Pirahna is a weak track IMO, and I was hoping for a ass-kicking followup to close. Ah well, I'm sure somebody out there (besides Liam) thought it was a good way to finish. ;-)
Live 7, Logic Studio 8, Mac Pro 8-core/2.26/6GB, OS X 10.5.6, Saffire Pro 40, Alesis M1 Active 520s, Remote SL 37, Virus TI Snow, Nord Rack 2, Zebra 2, Sylenth1

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:33 am

i like it. Reminds me of Primal Scream :)

creature

Post by creature » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:10 am

I have had the album playing all weekend and I really like it. The last track is the only one I am not too keen on, but it is still ok.

Even my wife was listening to it as she loved the prodigy back in the day. I much prefer her listening to this than her robbie williams collection ;-) lol

I think Thunder is my favorite track out of the lot, I really like that vocal sample they have lifted.

I definately think this is a return to form for them, but I know some people don't share my sentiments. Always outnumbered never outgunned was a good album but it took a long time for me to get into it and I always thought it should have been a liam howlett solo album rather than a prodigy album.

Steve

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:40 am

beats me wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:

"Vas Deference who??"

Sometimes when my friends and I get together sporting our laptops or ipods we start listening to music and it starts out polite and balanced with 1 song then pass, but as the drinks continue to flow suddenly the 1 track turns into 3 or 4 in a row until somebody is screaming "It's my turn now!!" Or the worst is when you go into funny youtube videos until somebody tries to bully you into watching a full movie. I don't know about you but when I'm all amped up on booze I don't want to quietly sit down and watch a 2 hour movie at 1 AM.

Then there's this situation

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/55260

Just to follow through with this and let you know how crazy obscure my friend gets. Here's his latest DJ set. I recognize the names of two of the groups, that's all. 8O Haven't heard it yet. I'm sure it's pretty wild, he's always challenging at the least.

Blaring is Caring mix
up on Talksplosion.com

+N: Virilio
Circuit Parallele: Planete Guerre
Grovskopa: Ragnarök
Bitstream: Anno Domini
Herrmutt Lobby: Lesseviceavielsalm
Scorn: Stripped Back Hinge
Ian J. Richardson: Staff Car
Broken Note: Crux
Sully: Voidsucka
FZV: FZ-Revisited
The 65D Mavericks: The Search
Komonasmuk & White Boi: The Apocalypse
Spinks: 21 Knockouts
WhiteBoi: Germ
Armour: Iron Man
NHK: Entire Set 2
16 Bit: Chainsaw Calligraphy
King Cannibal: Flower of Flesh and Blood
Final Dream: Theology 303
Cursor Miner: Carnivore (Milanese VIP)
Orphx: Burning Flags [Surgeon remix]
Caustic Window: The Garden of Linmiri

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:08 pm

^ Scorn! And that's the complete list or artists I've heard of off that track list. :)

I must be living in a cave or something. :wink: