Novation launch biggest music product of 2009?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lunabass

Re: Novation launch biggest music product of 2009?

Post by lunabass » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:10 am

chis wrote:*Laments Novation's seeming non-interest in making use of their synthesis R&D*

I still have a KS-4 and I still love it. Some programming quirks, but it makes some fabulous leads. Why are Novation not doing more with their synth tech? I'm sure most of us have all the controllers we need by now...
+1
love my KS4. loved my Nova laptop. i guess there is no money in hardware synths anymore
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

kensonic

Post by kensonic » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:43 pm

I can't find fault with most of the individual MkII / AM 3.0 improvements but as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to performing/DJing, they are going in the 100% wrong direction by reducing the display(s).

What I would like to see is a MUCH bigger LCD display, smack dab in the upper center, that lets me know what's going on and goes as far as possible toward keeping me from getting sucked back into my laptop screen! I'm picturing a ZeRO SL Mk II with maybe a 4-6 inch wide x 3-4 inch high, super clear, full graphical display. I really don't think adding a display like that would put the cost out of reach (they could kept fancier touch-screen displays for the uber high-end models). And it would be quite feasible to provide the ability to customize the controller's display via the Automap computer software. An SDK for low level customization, maybe?

Now that would be a revolutionary announcement ;-). Someone's gonna do it.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:55 pm

cutting off that 2nd lcd is lie cutting off your left leg and expecting to run a marathon
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:42 pm

beats me wrote:yawn.

and fail.

if a company is going to release a pricey controller the least they can do is throw on some motorized faders, which it this point in the game shouldn't be considered exotic.
yeah, you too AKAI. there will still be the cheap m-audio controllers for people who don't care about that type feature.
At the very least work with Ableton on getting Automap Universal to handle DAW features?!?? That this isn't an issue in EVERY Novation thread on this board?? Love the concept of Automap, hate the execution with Live. :evil:

What blows my mind is that nobody gets all of it right. I could give two fucks about Automap ( I find it buggy on my system, it's at a 20% of the time force quit ratio ), if the controller had a decent keyboard, :evil: large LCDs like the old SL series, and motorized faders like the CME and mackie controllers.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:30 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
beats me wrote:yawn.

and fail.

if a company is going to release a pricey controller the least they can do is throw on some motorized faders, which it this point in the game shouldn't be considered exotic.
yeah, you too AKAI. there will still be the cheap m-audio controllers for people who don't care about that type feature.
At the very least work with Ableton on getting Automap Universal to handle DAW features?!?? That this isn't an issue in EVERY Novation thread on this board?? Love the concept of Automap, hate the execution with Live. :evil:

What blows my mind is that nobody gets all of it right. I could give two fucks about Automap ( I find it buggy on my system, it's at a 20% of the time force quit ratio ), if the controller had a decent keyboard, :evil: large LCDs like the old SL series, and motorized faders like the CME and mackie controllers.
I know what you mean. Sometimes I think all the hardware manufacturers are in a secret cartel where they plan out the features that each of them will have on each product, purposefully leaving out useful things on each one so that they can can all keep us wanting more due to the imperfections of each, and gradually tempt to upgrade to the next fancy thing that has just one more feature that you want, but not the features of the competitors. Fishy.

But I don't know if it's novations fault entirely that ableton has no HUI control in automap universal. All the other hosts do now, so it seems strange that ableton doesn't. Maybe ableton hasn't provided something necessary, who knows.

And about the keyboards, I think they have the best feel out there. That's my favorite thing about them.

They would have had my money if they didn't make the idiotic mistake of removing an lcd display.

You know what I want to see? Kore 3 come in a full keyboard version with 16 encoders and 8 sliders like the SL. Then your setups could be preset specific. That wold kill automap for me.
Professional Shark Jumper.

condra

Post by condra » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:39 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
You know what I want to see? Kore 3 come in a full keyboard version with 16 encoders and 8 sliders like the SL.
That would be very cool.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:52 pm

condra wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:
You know what I want to see? Kore 3 come in a full keyboard version with 16 encoders and 8 sliders like the SL.
That would be very cool.
I'd money on the fact that they'll release a keyboard version of Kore, with the same level of integration as maschine. where you can do all the loading of patches, tweaking etc, right from the keyboard. It would seriously be fantastic. The only thing I'm doubtful about is that they'll include a decent enough number of controls for hardware synth style templates. I wouldn't be surprised if they released it with still only 8 knobs or something silly. While 8 knobs is fine for performance, it's crap for recreating a hardware synth setup, because there are just too many pages of controls. That's why the SL is good. 16 knobs, 8 sliders, lots of buttons. Easy to get a hands on synth setup for most synths.
Professional Shark Jumper.