What PRO isn't using a Mac on stage?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: What PRO isn't using a Mac on stage?

Post by H20nly » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:59 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
gjm wrote:
citizenchris099 wrote:if you ask me Kraftwerk are probably one of the most influential groups of the 20th century.
:lol: I never heard of Kraftwerk until 2008, and I still have never listened one of their tunes
That's not something to be proud of.
Personally I think it's important to have at least a basic understanding of the history of modern music.
How does knowing who Kraftwerk is give you a basic understanding of the history of modern music?

OR

How does not knowing who Kraftwerk is mean you lack a basic understanding of the history of modern music?

subdef

Post by subdef » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:04 pm

aizo wrote:I'M a Mac fanfag and all but I know for a fact that Otto Von Shirach hates Mac and of course doesn't use one. He's not a stadium packer but he can drive a laptop better than an F1 driver can take curves....
is that why i saw him with a macbook recently? ;)

Verbal

Post by Verbal » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:11 pm

[quote="Bynar"]Microsoft just stopped supporting windows 3.1 a few years ago. quote]
A few years ago? You can't be serious.

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:25 pm

What part of knowing history don't you get? If you are at all interested in the history of modern music then Kraftwerk are probably the biggest influence on it...followed closely by Kool Herc and King Tubby (imho)
Not knowing about them means you lack a significant piece of the puzzle that is modern music. Why are they a significant piece of said history? When one considers that "electronics" seem to permeate nearly every aspect of modern music and Kraftwerk are primarily responsible for this then its pretty obvious why. Kraftwerek are to electronic music what The Velvet Underground were to punk, post punk and early grunge/alt rock...that is to say read an interview w/the breakout artists and you will inevitably see them referenced as an influence.
They are probably one of the first mainstream groups to use sequenced electronics to create popular mainstream music. Everything you're doing now that you think is so creative and original....these German guys were already doing w/o the aid of software back in the 70s.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:17 pm

^ Les Paul was doing multitrack recording long before the 70's does knowing about him mean you don't have to know about Kraftwerk?

So they influenced some artists in a small portion of a much larger pie... the comment made implied that one doesn't know anything about the history of modern music if they don't know Kraftwerk.

I call bullshit.

Bleep Blop Ima Robot

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:04 pm

fuck history, and music that isnt new, im tired of oldies shit, im moving on kthxbai
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

subdef

Post by subdef » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:02 am

this discussion is really getting ridiculous

serioulsy, the premise was also like really stupid

anyhow whatever

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:50 am

H20nly wrote:^ Les Paul was doing multitrack recording long before the 70's does knowing about him mean you don't have to know about Kraftwerk?

So they influenced some artists in a small portion of a much larger pie... the comment made implied that one doesn't know anything about the history of modern music if they don't know Kraftwerk.

I call bullshit.
You're trying too hard for a debate here.

Not knowing who Kraftwerk are means you don't have a basic understanding of modern music. You might know some things, but not knowing who Kraftwerk are is like not knowing who the Ramones, Black Sabbath, Throbbing Gristle/Cabaret Voltaire etc. are. Those people pioneered Punk, Metal, and Industrial. Kraftwerk pioneered electronic music in general. The stripped down beats of Kraftwerk were influential on early rap and Hip Hop, among many influences. No other group in the 70's had the sort of lasting effect on electronic music they did. Their influence was in no way small. It's perfectly normal for a listener to not care about music, and where different genres originated, but as musicians IMO there's no doubt that doing so limits you.

It's a lot like wanting to play Brit Pop, not knowing who the Beatles are, and using Oasis as your reference.

To me, not wanting or caring to take apart music you love, and follow influences to see what influenced them to produce music that moves you doesn't make any sense at all? If all you're influenced by is 'modern' music, then there's no doubt IMO that your music will blend into the background, too closely related to the songs around it.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:07 am

Just a start of how crazy influential Kraftwerk are. (and one of my favorite hip hop genres)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXw3SwMNldM

Pretty much every synth pop and electronic act owes their left nut to Kraftwerk. You don't have to like them, but you have to respect their influence. :)

gjm

Post by gjm » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:19 am

Machinesworking wrote: Not knowing who Kraftwerk are means you don't have a basic understanding of modern music.
OMG that is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time.
I googled "the most influential bands of the 20th cen" and came up with this list
For the sake of a list, Ktaftwerk come in at no.8.
But I have heard of everyone else in the top 20.
Last time I was missing 5% of the puzzle pieces I had more than a basic understanding of the big picture.

You should stop making myopic outlandish sweeping statements.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:42 am

gjm wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: Not knowing who Kraftwerk are means you don't have a basic understanding of modern music.
I googled "the most influential bands of the 20th cen" and came up with this list
Last time I was missing 5% of the puzzle pieces I had more than a basic understanding of the big picture.

Wow? So the only electronic act in the top ten most influential acts of all time? yet I'm being myopic by pointing out on a company forum for a piece of software that's mainly used to, big surprise here, make electronic music, that it shows a lack of a basic understanding of modern music to not know who they are??

You're not making much sense here. Perhaps I should state that when I said 'modern music' I meant all types of electronic music, and computer based music. Not the last 100 years of music. There are whole genres of music I know nothing about, but if I was interested in dixie music and somebody pointed out a big name in that field, and I didn't know who they were, I certainly wouldn't be proud of it, or hide my lack of knowledge behind insults.

gjm

Post by gjm » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:10 am

Machinesworking wrote:
gjm wrote:

Wow? So the only electronic act in the top ten most influential acts of all time? yet I'm being myopic by pointing out on a company forum for a piece of software that's mainly used to, big surprise here, make electronic music, that it shows a lack of a basic understanding of modern music to not know who they are??

You're not making much sense here. Perhaps I should state that when I said 'modern music' I meant all types of electronic music, and computer based music. Not the last 100 years of music. There are whole genres of music I know nothing about, but if I was interested in dixie music and somebody pointed out a big name in that field, and I didn't know who they were, I certainly wouldn't be proud of it, or hide my lack of knowledge behind insults.
Yes, you are being myopic. Try making the same statement on a non electronic centric music forum.

And I'm the one not making much sense, holy moly, you were the one who had to clarify what you meant by 'Modern Music.' Oh, I did not mean ALL music, I just meant the small electronic segment, not music in general from the modern era. H20nly started in on you at the top of this page but you did not clarify then. You made a generalized sweeping statement without thinking about what you were saying.

Where on earth did you get the idea I was proud of not knowing who Kraftwerk are. I am amazed at that. However, at lunch today I asked the other 4 people at the table if they had heard of a band called Kraftwerk and not one of them had. These folks were in their mid 20's to late 30's in age all with University educations. Go figure.

Also I never insulted you. I called you out on your silliness. :D
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:27 am

interestingly, if you asked my parents, they all knew kraftwerk back then. only youngsters of today don't know them. shows how they're history, and an important one.

it's quite amazing to listen now to them, noticing how a lot of the most modern constructs in electronic music are just sorta copies of what they created back then.

they are to electronic music what pong, space invaders, mario, tetris and such are to video games. the roots, and the most important ones at that.

but his statement of "modern music" was not that obvious, yeah.. then again, with modern music, we on the ableton forum think of ableton style electronic produced or supported sound, and then it fits :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

depnaker

Post by depnaker » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:31 am

I didn't use Mac on the stage

D K

Post by D K » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:36 am

gjm wrote:[ at lunch today I asked the other 4 people at the table if they had heard of a band called Kraftwerk and not one of them had. These folks were in their mid 20's to late 30's in age all with University educations. Go figure.
you eat lunch with dorks :P