Ableton 9.1 Dual Monitor Support + more

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mothergarage

Re: Ableton 9.1 Dual Monitor Support + more

Post by mothergarage » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:06 pm

A still from this video

compared to what we have now:

Notice the save button in the upper right and the lack of fxb load/save above the XY field.

Seems you can now save VST presets without racking them?
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

roringtonsmithe

Post by roringtonsmithe » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:46 pm

That could be an Audio Unit.

Excited for dual monitor. Floating midi editor window is a massive boon. Hoping for tighter automation also.

Good to see forward moving development.

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:39 am

damn. and I thought I was going sherlock holmes...

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:03 pm

Angstrom wrote:First - note creation by clicking is much much slower with the new system, I have many gifs uploaded and sent many mails to Ableton about this. Double click to create notes in L8 : instant. In L9 there's a weird little dance the note and my cursor does. Sometimes notes aren't even created. It is a lot, lot, lot slower than the old note method. It feels buggy as hell in use.

Example: big animated gif >>>link<<< Look at the note being created, flickering like that. Awful. Never mind the freaky CPU jumps, who knows what causes that!?
I see, it looks indeed very bad in the gif! I have tested it here, but I have no cpu problem here(0-1% when creating notes)and my curser doesn't jump or anything (using win7 with mouse). It only jump to the note end when I keep the mouse button down after the second click, but I never had a problem with this, because I a) drag the note immediately after I created it to change the length or I release the mouse button after the second click.
secondand most important : because the off-grid behaviour can activate accidentally and so will be un-noticed by me, it's only a lot later that I'll be zoomed in and see off-grid notes. That will be after I have duplicated that clip all across my timeline. Examples of ways to accidentally trigger snap-off: Move notes upwards diagonally. Move a selected group of notes accidentally forwards a smidgeon (not a grid division), and then say "ah shit", and move them back to the line. They will be off grid
I had that in the beta too, but I haven't noticed this problem anymore lately. I don't know if they changed something or if it is because of my "adapted" workflow.
third: the method of trying to get them to be on-grid: move them across a grid line. This fails because if I have contiguous notes, D3, D3, D3, D3 and I accidentally move one then "dragging it across a line" to trigger snapping this action will momentarily delete the following note. Of course it's temporary deletion, but it's note deletion. You see - It now requires an ACTION to make notes be on time, from their new default of being OFF time! Which leads me to.
I understand all your points, I can can say I have adapted. I move the note just to the next line to get snapping (supported by the cerebellum, I didn't think about it anymore). Regarding the D3,D3,D3 problem, I never had a problem with the temporary deletion because as you said it's temporary as long as you drag the note.

fifth No option for the basics!
Now, sure some people will love this Smart-Snap and that's great. But personally I like the basics of on-time notes. Always snap and use alt-drag. This is perfect for me. In L9 I have had many songs where I have discovered off-time notes because of this magical note position system which is trying to GUESS where I want my notes, and getting it wrong. Yet I can't turn it off!
on-grid notes are not even an option

The competition know that you can't just leave magical note-positioning as the ONLY option, and remove the basics of snapping. However, Ableton seem convinced they know better as to where my notes ought to land.

I just want the option of On-time notes as a basis. Is that so weird?

However - the L9 ass-backwards flickery snapping is merely laughable, when considered in scope next to the browser. That thing makes me rage quit. It is so against my methods of working.
[/quote]

I agree, I also think there should be at least an option for a fall back solution - even when I understand the "reduce all overhead" concept ableton tries to archive.

My biggest problem with the snapping is the following, I like to draw notes and adjust the length freely in one step (faster and less mouse movment). I like to to draw chords this way because you get an automatically variation from the note length:

- press "b" to to change to draw mode, keep "b" down and press "alt" to release the grid, click with the mouse to draw a note without a snapping note ending (only one click, then while keeping the mouse down drag the note length).
- after a short time note end snaps to the grid automatically without a interaction.

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:19 pm

Beta is out.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

drez

Post by drez » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:49 pm

Does anyone know if retina support made it into 9.1?
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:38 am

Funk N. Furter wrote:Some tips on ways to use the second window if you don't have two monitors

http://www.macableton.com/news/ableton- ... ve-91.html
Seems to miss the point of having 2 monitors if you are toggling between virtual desktops. Wouldn't that just be the same as already available basically with TAB?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:50 am

yes.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:55 am

Matt_Quinn wrote:Beta is out.
Signed up, can't see where to download beta from.
Where can I download the Live 9.1 Beta?

We use the Centercode bugtracking system to collect and maintain any reports related to the Beta, and this is also where we offer Live 9.1 Beta downloads. Please refer to the Live 9 beta page.
"You are not currently enrolled in any Projects"

Hmmmm, Anyone managed to download it?

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:24 am

Sibanger wrote:
Matt_Quinn wrote:Beta is out.
Signed up, can't see where to download beta from.
Where can I download the Live 9.1 Beta?

We use the Centercode bugtracking system to collect and maintain any reports related to the Beta, and this is also where we offer Live 9.1 Beta downloads. Please refer to the Live 9 beta page.
"You are not currently enrolled in any Projects"

Hmmmm, Anyone managed to download it?
same problem here! no download! have you found it?

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:50 am

Do you find it on the centercode site under Home/Live 9/Beta Releases/Live 9.1b13 ?

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:53 am

mothergarage wrote:Do you find it on the centercode site under Home/Live 9/Beta Releases/Live 9.1b13 ?
Page Not Found
An error occurred and has been logged.

This error has already been forwarded to a System Administrator.

Error Reference Number: 404

No :-(

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:55 am

This reminds me of the Live 9.0.1 false start :|

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:03 am

mothergarage wrote:Do you find it on the centercode site under Home/Live 9/Beta Releases/Live 9.1b13 ?
so i`ve entered this url: https://ableton.centercode.com/Home/Live 9/Beta Releases/Live 9.1b13
No success