*OT* Bush State of the Union

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:30 am

Kodama wrote: When comes to elevating our society out the disgusting $/Power lustpool that it wallows in, there is always talk of how impossible it is, how almost fatastical and dreamlike the very concept is and how expensive it would be.

But when it comes to creating a new force of sexy destruction that can kill billions, well - it was damn hard, almost impossible (split an atom? - wtf?), but we sure licked that sucker, didn't we?
Here's the simple answer for you;

To make the nuclear bomb, it required a small number (small relative to the world's population) of motivated people to push the envelope and achieve something of amazing technical intricacy. In a large system, you can always find SOME people willing and able to undertake these sorts of goals.

To make world peace, it would require EVERYBODY to cooperate. That's 6 billion people. Should global pacifism break out, it would only take a few dozen men to bring violence back. In a large system, you can always find SOME people willing and able to undertake these sorts of goals.

The problem is pure statistics. Violence is the lowest common denominator of humanity. It can never be eliminated, and because of this, any group or individual who values their own existance must accept that violence is inevitable and prepare for the application thereof.

glu

Post by glu » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:12 am

forge wrote:
glu wrote: Funny (not really) how the war on drugs came first...
funny's not the word I'd use!
Yeah, that's why I at least had to throw the (not really) in there...

sad is more like it. Brudy American Engrish..
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

1pauper1

Post by 1pauper1 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:53 am

M. Bréqs wrote:
Kodama wrote: When comes to elevating our society out the disgusting $/Power lustpool that it wallows in, there is always talk of how impossible it is, how almost fatastical and dreamlike the very concept is and how expensive it would be.

But when it comes to creating a new force of sexy destruction that can kill billions, well - it was damn hard, almost impossible (split an atom? - wtf?), but we sure licked that sucker, didn't we?
Here's the simple answer for you;

To make the nuclear bomb, it required a small number (small relative to the world's population) of motivated people to push the envelope and achieve something of amazing technical intricacy. In a large system, you can always find SOME people willing and able to undertake these sorts of goals.

To make world peace, it would require EVERYBODY to cooperate. That's 6 billion people. Should global pacifism break out, it would only take a few dozen men to bring violence back. In a large system, you can always find SOME people willing and able to undertake these sorts of goals.

The problem is pure statistics. Violence is the lowest common denominator of humanity. It can never be eliminated, and because of this, any group or individual who values their own existance must accept that violence is inevitable and prepare for the application thereof.

AND BE WILLING TO FIGHT BACK !!! with mankind's most powerfull weapon-

................. M U S I C ...............

when the aliens finally come to conquer the earth,let us hope that their weapons of choice are fender telecasters and macintels...

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:54 pm

M. Bréqs wrote: Here's the simple answer for you;

It took alot more than you elude to, and it also took tremendous effort to create and wage the Iraq war.

Once again, conservatives are always pragmatic when it comes to actually helping people because it helps justify excessive/oblivious lifestyles to throw our hands up as we speak of solving the world's problems as almost a joke in passing.

We must be cautious implementing a working health care system , but screw it to it - get er' done when we want a war.

But even beyond the idea of world peace, there are many good deeds that to be done, we MUST invest in our futre and stop making the conservative toddler-like "But I want it now" attitude to everything that does not give immediate gratification!

I can't wait for all the backpeddling to explain the hundreds of millions dead after we start seeing some major ice fall in the ocean over the next few decades, we were too busy fighting terrorism...
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:48 pm

Kodama wrote: But even beyond the idea of world peace, there are many good deeds that to be done, we MUST invest in our futre and stop making the conservative toddler-like "But I want it now" attitude to everything that does not give immediate gratification!
funny, I always thought that it was the "conservatives" with the long view and the "liberals" (I despise those labels personally) with the me-first-gimme-gimme-now attitude.
typical liberal attitude wrote:Why work for anything when somebody else will work, pay taxes and then support my lazy ass? Screw national debt, screw the negative impact on the economy (and transitively society) that overwhelming taxes pose, screw our children's future economic well being, we should borrow to give payouts to special interest groups to assuage my white guilt, and besides, ME WANTEE MONEE FOR NOTHING!!!
Anyways, that's how the Left thinks in Canada (the Bloc Quebecois, NDP and Liberals). It seems that the "conservatives" in the US are much less fiscally restrained than our noble Tories up here, so maybe your point is valid south of the border.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:50 pm

Kodama wrote:

MISSIONARY
Hello everyone, I am sister Hollis! I was
chosen for my mission work to come here
to Africa and teach you all about the
teachings of Jesus!

The Ethiopians look back in confusion. They don't understand
a word she's saying.

MISSIONARY (cont'd)
Okay, then! Do we have our Bibles that
were handed out freely?

The Ethiopians look down at the clean little Bibles in their
hands. One Ethiopian tries to stick the Bible in his mouth
and eat it.

MISSIONARY (cont'd)
No, no, no! We don't EAT the Bibles, we
READ them! Now, let's turn to Mark 3:19!
The Ethiopians just sit there.

MISSIONARY (cont'd)
Come on... Remember -

The Missionary pulls down a huge chart that illustrates what
she's about to say-

MISSIONARY (cont'd)
(Pointing with a pointer)
Reading Bible + Accepting Jesus = Food!

The Ethiopians quickly open their Bibles and act like they're
reading.

MISSIONARY (cont'd)
Good! Now who can read Mark 3:19? How
about MARVIN!

WHIP PAN to Starvin Marvin, looking just like he did when we
last saw him. Happy music STING.

STARVIN MARVIN
Click click click.

MISSIONARY
No, Marvin, in God's language; English.

which famous Epsiode is this from - give up? Starvin marvin in Outer Space

I don't know what that pictures about - the Ethiopians cab drivers round here look healthy and happy (doh!)
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:52 pm

M. Bréqs wrote: funny, I always thought that it was the "conservatives" with the long view and the "liberals" (I despise those labels personally) with the me-first-gimme-gimme-now attitude.
typical liberal attitude wrote:Why work for anything when somebody else will work, pay taxes and then support my lazy ass? Screw national debt, screw the negative impact on the economy (and transitively society) that overwhelming taxes pose, screw our children's future economic well being, we should borrow to give payouts to special interest groups to assuage my white guilt, and besides, ME WANTEE MONEE FOR NOTHING!!!
Anyways, that's how the Left thinks in Canada (the Bloc Quebecois, NDP and Liberals). It seems that the "conservatives" in the US are much less fiscally restrained than our noble Tories up here, so maybe your point is valid south of the border.
I think you will find that many people are glad to work if they can actually make a living.

I wish that people could at least get together on some of the points we should be agreeing on, like throwing everything at not going extinct in the next 100 years and helping stamp out hunger (at the very least in our country).

I just don't get all the talk of morality from Xians who are the conservatives here, if you truelly believed in Jesus, you would be more angry about some of these things than I am.

And Adonis, you're right, it's really lame when the original idea gets warped by religious imperialism (telling ethiopians not to use condoms).....
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

glu

Post by glu » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:30 pm

so how does one donate from afar, with utter conviction that the food donations aren't being exploited by an unintended party for profit?

The girl and I ask these questions in public when we are approached to donate, or solicited after renting a movie, etc.. there are many occasions where the option to throw some change into a charity jar is there- but we don't, it's just that it's hard to know where that money really goes. We both want to help, and other than sending money or food directly to people that we happen to know, what can we do?

As an anthropologist, I want to study self sustaining methods, those that have worked, those that haven't, and spend significant time in other countries to help develop self sustainable communities and help raise their quality of living, at least to those in the U.S. <------ has many problems as well, I would almost call the social strata in the US a caste system..

So, now that we have the internet as our humanitarian tool for the 21st century, digital grassroots has a a huge potential, as we have seen politicians recently use this medium to raise campaign funds.

So who here donates, and where do you donate, and how? I am not asking to judge people, just for info about where to donate.. and know that what I am donating is getting into needy hands who will not resort to exploiting others with it...

This thread has stimulated some good discussions. Thanks Mr. Bush for inspiring the dialogue :lol: At least that speech was good for something!

forge

Post by forge » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:02 am

glu wrote:so how does one donate from afar, with utter conviction that the food donations aren't being exploited by an unintended party for profit?

The girl and I ask these questions in public when we are approached to donate, or solicited after renting a movie, etc.. there are many occasions where the option to throw some change into a charity jar is there- but we don't, it's just that it's hard to know where that money really goes. We both want to help, and other than sending money or food directly to people that we happen to know, what can we do?
well, the way I see it is, when you're talking about a small amount of change, do you really need it? and the risk of stravation to the person on the receiving end of it if it does actually get there is greater than the risk to you for losing 2 bucks

I think we can all rationalise these things and more often than not will chose the rationalisation that supports inaction

if you were in africa and you were seeing the kids that were actually starving you would probably not even question it and you would think "2 bucks? hell what do I need it for?" - but when you're at home there is a chance to be distracted by what ifs

I think if they are registered (they have to have ID etc if they are legit - dont know if it's the same in the US) then I think you can fairly safely assume that there are a bunch of people like the person who is giving up their time standing there collecting (not a nice job in itself) along the chain at least TRYING to make it happen - there are still caring people in the world

but ironically I think you can only view these situations from a selfish point of view "do I WANT to do this? do I NEED this 2 bucks?" etc

I can understand the sentiment you describe when it's a junkie cause you know it's just going on drugs, but if they are genuine charity collectors it's not the same

anyway, I'm here going on about it and I don't sponsor a child or tithe income or anything like that - the main reason being we've actually been struggling ourselves to keep it together, but little donations like street collectors I'd probably find a couple of bucks for

the ones that put me off I guess like most people are the ones you have to sign up for something, which often people like greenpeace etc seem to

glu

Post by glu » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:48 am

I often give change to street-workers. Here in Austin they are in abundance. I do throw money here and there into those charity jars.. but not as often as the street dudes, mainly because I know it will directly go to them.

I just want to find an organization or two that I can get behind, knowing that what I donate will go directly to those in need, and not just ambigous jar that magically goes to africa or cancer children.

My job will also match my donations, so I am looking for an organization that is trustworthy if there is one..

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:34 am

glu wrote:I just want to find an organization or two that I can get behind, knowing that what I donate will go directly to those in need, and not just ambigous jar that magically goes to africa or cancer children.

My job will also match my donations, so I am looking for an organization that is trustworthy if there is one..
Doctors Without Borders (Medicins Sans Frontiers (MSF)). They're fucking motivated, and they're not politicized like Amnesty International or religious like Christian Children's Fund.

I give to them directly with a monthly automatic withdrawal from my bank, it's great; I never miss the money, and they can plan & budget on a stable income.
glu wrote:I often give change to street-workers. Here in Austin they are in abundance. I do throw money here and there into those charity jars.. but not as often as the street dudes, mainly because I know it will directly go to them.
I have no problem denying panhandlers in Canada. Here in Canada, NOBODY has an excuse to panhandle; social assistance is there along with meagre shelter, nutritious food and an address to put on a resume is available to even the most destitute and pitiable.

However, I do give money to clever capitalists on the streetcorner. Squeegee Kids? Sure, they can take my money. Buskers too. Ancient old men selling pencils? Sure, I'll buy one, why not? Offer to carry my groceries while I'm walking home? OK sure (if I think I can outrun them if they decide to make a break for it).

Panhandlers? THEY CAN GO FUCK THEMSELVES IN THE EYE WITH A KNIFE. I've been to the the slums of Quezon City and Manila in the Phillipines, rural Sudan, the slums of Cairo in Egypt, Karachi Pakistan, rural Bosnia, and rural Puerto Rico... That's poverty, and I give to MSF to try to help these places out. None of these fucking panhandlers in Canada will ever get a dime from me.

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:41 am

M. Bréqs wrote: Doctors Without Borders (Medicins Sans Frontiers (MSF)).
I should add that I've had the pleasure to know personally a doctor who volunteered with these guys. He was an arrogant prick (my roommate in University) and they sorted his priorties out quite well.

I've also worked with these dudes in Bosnia; They weren't that prevalent there (there were much worse places at the time and they're often "first in" to trouble spots) but they were professional and one of the few NGOs that wasn't co-opted by one of the ethnic factions.

forge

Post by forge » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:02 am

M. Bréqs wrote: I have no problem denying panhandlers in Canada. ....
I thought he meant real charity collecters on the street corner - the legit guys with ID etc.....that's how I took it

glu

Post by glu » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:15 am

Damn Bréqs, I am envious of your travels... obviously to a certain degree given the nature of what you were doing there.

I have been fortunate to experience two countries, other than th U.S.

I have seen impoverished filipinos in Manilla as well as the islands of negros, cebu, and mactan. I spent a little time in a small village in NW cebu, where bucket bathing and water pumping were luxuries.. Definately a life-experience for me.

In Mexico, I spent a few weeks in central arid region barrios, and deeeeep south (border guatemala) mayan villages. Very sad state of affairs down there. Thanks to Free Trade, these people cannot compete with U.S. maize prices. It's very sad.

Here in Austin,
The dude i with the sign " Need parts for my spaceship" will always get a quick buck.

I always try to buy lollypops from the girls raising money to get youth off drugs and out of gangs..

thanks for those links

glu

Post by glu » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:18 am

forge wrote:
M. Bréqs wrote: I have no problem denying panhandlers in Canada. ....
I thought he meant real charity collecters on the street corner - the legit guys with ID etc.....that's how I took it
no mainly I meant the little charity jars at movie rental stores, eat-outs, etc.. I wonder where that money really goes. I know those dudes on the coner of I35 need a 24oz, a joint, and a bump of coke- oh and 99 cent tacos...