new NIN april 17

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
radib

Post by radib » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:07 am

deckme(N)tal wrote:guys....this album is good...really good...
good compromise between noise and melody...
no. its a fuckin bore.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:32 pm

I just listened to it!!! And all I can say is ---

Meh.

Serious meh. Me, I'm Not is a nice track, Zero Sum has good stuff but he needs to lose the drum track, do all his drums seem either totally recycled or like he is trying too hard to be edgey?

I am listening to the Fragile in my car and being reminded of how far Trent could take music. Well, after buying every album and single he produced until around 2002(?) I can't support this stuff. I'd rather listen to Burn 16 times in a row.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:32 pm

I am listening right now, after a hectic week of video editing and stupid shit, I am back building some Jitter patches, and I must say that I am definitely getting this album.

The attention to detail is back, and I feel it's gotten back to being edgy compositions with all the little mid-range grit bits that I love about NIN.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

glu

Post by glu » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 pm

Machinate wrote: The attention to detail is back, and I feel it's gotten back to being edgy compositions with all the little mid-range grit bits that I love about NIN.
that's exactly why I am diggin' this one.
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:18 pm

just finished the whole thing. I love it. And he's mad now, but with an ironical distance. Not as bleak as back in the day - to me he's really matured, lyric-wise too.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:23 pm

Ya I'm quite enjoying listening to the whole album now that it's posted on the site.

The only thing that kind of bugs me is that he uses the same drum beat on a few tracks. Listen to the start of My Violent Heart and then God Given, exact same. And then zero sum, another variation on the same beat.

But overall, it's a good listen.
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:16 am

Wow, reading these descriptions I feel like we are listening to different albums.

radib

Post by radib » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:00 am

the album in its whole is a very nice surprise, does it for me much better than the last piece. sure it doesn´t fuckin kill me like phm/tds did, but somehow he seems to have recovered. a great lot of really good sounds, very loopy and rhythmic, but without that ugly mtv-guitarsound he used on with teeth.

but, imo he could have done it even better. less and especially less too similar tracks, but more focused and epic at once. more telling than harsh phrasing, also in the lyrics. but that kind of album would have pushed him towards the old cruel clouds and maybe that had to be avoided by himself. so better doing just a solid work ;)

SheepFactory

Post by SheepFactory » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Loved the album so much. Been listening to it on repeat since it got released.