Portishead Again :) How Many Of You Believe that

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Patch

Post by Patch » Tue May 06, 2008 11:01 am

Are Kriss Kross Hip-Hop or Rap?

I like Kriss Kross.

piZMo

Post by piZMo » Tue May 06, 2008 11:33 am

Tone Deft wrote: what is techo?
its what happens when a kool kid spells the as teh in a large empty reflective forum

8O

kaboom-tishh

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue May 06, 2008 11:40 am

piZMo wrote:
its what happens when a kool kid spells the as teh in a large empty reflective forum

8O

kaboom-tishh
woah. #1 convoluted joke of the year, mate! :lol:

Warminstrel

Post by Warminstrel » Tue May 06, 2008 11:54 am

ridiculous thread topic.

Fuckin' hip hop?!

Liek, Portishead ffs?

"Yeah man, I seen dem Portishead cats mashin up dem beats, paintin' graffiti and body poppin' all over Brissle innit?"

????????

To any righteous American Hip Hoppers on here:

Its yours bluds, its your scene....been a massive influence on UK sound over past 20 years but its yours mateys....

PS:

Thanks for the beats and that but (appart from inner city chav culture mocking/immatating US gangs) there is no true hip hop in the UK though some music could be pigeon-holed if you wish to do so.

------------------------------------------

Labels are for mabels anyway.

Yhtomit

Post by Yhtomit » Tue May 06, 2008 12:58 pm

P-head isnt hiphop
it might have some hiphop beats with melancholic female voices on top. But that ain't hiphop. Also, hiphop is more like a culture. I mean, just listen to the portishead lyrics..

I do agree Revenge Of The Number does sound like a hiphop track quite a lot. And the beat in the original Roads is a kickass hiphop beat, except for the actual (famous) Rhodes chords. So just the drumbeat basically

roby

Post by roby » Tue May 06, 2008 2:29 pm

what is electronica?
what isn't trance?
what is love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsCXZczTQXo

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed May 07, 2008 12:23 am

kriss kross is rap, not hiphop and on top of that they are all krossed out.

btw the reasons most peeps are giving for portishead not to be hiphop is exactly what makes hiphop hiphop, to many peeps think hiphop is a black thing but with all of our abilitys to be able to slice and dice up genres on a daily basis into unbelievable amounts of subdivision and with all of our tech and brain power we should be able to conceptualize the distinction between hiphop culture and hiphop music. since a 'culture' always seems to maintain a link back to it's roots and only to that extent it could be said that hiphop culture is a black thing of which portishead could never reasonably make a claim to,

but hiphop music on the other hand is much more free even in it's purity. hiphop purist without a doubt lead the way in open minded, inclusive, creative music, both in terms of sound and methods used. maybe second only to advantgarde music.

in other words a real true purist hiphop cat wouldn't hesitate to throw some vocals like that of portishead or any other sound over some dope hiphop beats to continue on making hiphop. this is precisely why dj shadow is hiphop and NOT trance, he has a canvas with in hiphop that is free enough for him to work with and do anything he wants while a trance canvas or any other is much more restrictive.

so the question should be can an artist that is not a part of hiphop culture make hiphop music and I think the answer is a resounding yes, hence portishead and tricky are not hiphop culture but when it comes down to it they make hiphop music. (i'm still thinking about this but I think thats where this thread was rooted by circle)

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed May 07, 2008 1:25 am

The nut I just rubbed out is Hip Hop.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed May 07, 2008 4:14 am

Portishead is black?

kramerica

Post by kramerica » Wed May 07, 2008 6:42 am

nebulae wrote:Portishead is black?
...in a perfect world.
\,, / (^_^) \,,? /