What PRO isn't using a Mac on stage?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
davepermen

Re: What PRO isn't using a Mac on stage?

Post by davepermen » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:46 am

btw, around here in switzerland, a lot of djs don't use mac. and i've seen some live artists not using macs. i think here macs could be the minority, but i'm unsure.

don't know if i could call myself famous :) but i don't use macs myself, too. i only know dj noise right now who wouldn't give his mac away ever. then again, it's quite an old mac, and an old version of traktor he uses, as he trusts in those two, and doesn't want to update ever. he's quite famous here in switzerland.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

gjm

Post by gjm » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:51 am

D K wrote:
gjm wrote:[ at lunch today I asked the other 4 people at the table if they had heard of a band called Kraftwerk and not one of them had. These folks were in their mid 20's to late 30's in age all with University educations. Go figure.
you eat lunch with dorks :P
:lol: :lol: Thats what I think too.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:59 am

and you know what? when you lack some knowledge, google and youtube help to very quickly aquire the missing pieces at least a bit :)

for kraftwerk, a simple youtube should help you give an idea what you missed so far. i love the really old-looking videos (because they ARE old) together with sound that sounds like it could be from a todays club or similar.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:10 am

gjm wrote:
D K wrote:
gjm wrote:[ at lunch today I asked the other 4 people at the table if they had heard of a band called Kraftwerk and not one of them had. These folks were in their mid 20's to late 30's in age all with University educations. Go figure.
you eat lunch with dorks :P
:lol: :lol: Thats what I think too.
not knowing kraftwerk is an amazing hole in your head, no matter what music you are into, or let's put it another way...

the only excuse you can have to not ever have heard of kraftwerk is not having ANY interest nor knowledge about music at all.

i could not think of a more outstanding and innovative / influential band from the 21th century.
*** Image GAFM ***

Parametex

Post by Parametex » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:47 pm

H20nly wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:if you ask me Kraftwerk are probably one of the most influential groups of the 20th century.
:lol: I never heard of Kraftwerk until 2008, and I still have never listened one of their tunes
That's not something to be proud of.
Personally I think it's important to have at least a basic understanding of the history of modern music.

Ignorance is bliss

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:51 pm

H20nly wrote:^ Les Paul was doing multitrack recording long before the 70's does knowing about him mean you don't have to know about Kraftwerk?

So they influenced some artists in a small portion of a much larger pie... the comment made implied that one doesn't know anything about the history of modern music if they don't know Kraftwerk.

I call bullshit.

Its cool not to know things....thats fine but to willfully promote ignorance and then get defensive about it...thats something else entirely. So you didn't know who Kraftwerk were a few days ago...nothing 10 min on Wiki can't fix. Quite frankly I find much of their music dated....but to deny a groups place in history due to personal taste and or ignorance is foolish.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:58 pm

gjm wrote:this list
that list is silly... 'Morbid Angel' ?! 'xray specs' ?! 'beat happening' ?! seriously?!...
'stone roses' albums was good... but I wonder what about Herbie Hancock ? Marvin Gaye ? Faith no more ? RHCP ? Otis Redding ? King Tubby ? Serge Ginsburg ? Fela Kuti ? etc..

in short it should be named... '100 OF the most influential'...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:26 pm

gjm wrote: Yes, you are being myopic. Try making the same statement on a non electronic centric music forum.

I'm not making that statement on a generalized music forum, and it would still hold true, a person would not have a basic history of modern music without Krafterk in the equation. I really shouldn't have to clarify what I mean by modern music, let's for the sake of argument say within the last 40 years?
And I'm the one not making much sense, holy moly, you were the one who had to clarify what you meant by 'Modern Music.' Oh, I did not mean ALL music, I just meant the small electronic segment, not music in general from the modern era. H20nly started in on you at the top of this page but you did not clarify then. You made a generalized sweeping statement without thinking about what you were saying.
Nothing small about electronic music, and I still stand by my statement. I'm sorry, but as a musician, especially a musician playing modern music, it shows a lack of history, period.
Where on earth did you get the idea I was proud of not knowing who Kraftwerk are. I am amazed at that. However, at lunch today I asked the other 4 people at the table if they had heard of a band called Kraftwerk and not one of them had. These folks were in their mid 20's to late 30's in age all with University educations. Go figure.
Already stated that as non musicians it's not surprising that people wouldn't know who they are, but for musicians I think it shows a lack of history. Why is this a bone of contention? I suppose the word basic is a bit harsh, but we're not talking about some big name in electronic music back in the day, we're talking about people who changed music permanently. When some guy informed me that punk started more with Blue Cheer, MC5 and the Stooges, I went and researched them, I didn't argue semantics on the interwebs?

....and the list is silly, it's just some guys list, and misses huge players, Throbbing Gristle for one.

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:29 pm

Am I the only one here who thinks kraftewerk is utter shit? yeah maybe they were a head of their time or some other shit like that but they suck, its not even bare-able to listen to.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:33 pm

ThrowAway wrote:Am I the only one here who thinks kraftewerk is utter shit? yeah maybe they were a head of their time or some other shit like that but they suck, its not even bare-able to listen to.
I feel the same way, but am ashamed to admit due to the ridicule from all the fanbois.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:35 pm

SubFunk wrote: i could not think of a more outstanding and innovative / influential band from the 21th century.
You have every right to disagree, but Black Sabbath were just as innovative and original with as wide reaching influence.
The Ramones as well. Cool thing about Kraftwerk was they were using new tools, also Trans Europe Express, Man Machine and Computer World sound great to this day IMO, unlike most electronic music from the 80's, it's not dated by the crappy 80's production and vocal style.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:43 pm

pulsoc wrote:
ThrowAway wrote:Am I the only one here who thinks kraftewerk is utter shit? yeah maybe they were a head of their time or some other shit like that but they suck, its not even bare-able to listen to.
I feel the same way, but am ashamed to admit due to the ridicule from all the fanbois.
You don't have to like the music to appreciate their influence. I'm not a fan of the Ramones, but if I played punk I certainly wouldn't call the Ramones music utter shit.

Anytime you use break beats and other more organic funk/rock elements in electronic music, you're just doing something Kraftwerk did 35 years ago.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:55 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
SubFunk wrote: i could not think of a more outstanding and innovative / influential band from the 21th century.
You have every right to disagree, but Black Sabbath were just as innovative and original with as wide reaching influence.
The Ramones as well. Cool thing about Kraftwerk was they were using new tools, also Trans Europe Express, Man Machine and Computer World sound great to this day IMO, unlike most electronic music from the 80's, it's not dated by the crappy 80's production and vocal style.
i absolutely agree that many bands or musicians did severe influential work...

led zeppelin, sly and the family stone... and so on and so on... and so on...

maybe i should have said in terms of 'electronic' music.

and yes i agree, the most amazing thing compared to all other electronic artists of the between 60s and 90s sound 'dated' kraftwerk not at all.

and i also agree that you don't need to particular like a musician or band to appreciate or respect there influence / uniqueness
*** Image GAFM ***

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:59 pm

Machinesworking wrote: You don't have to like the music to appreciate their influence. I'm not a fan of the Ramones, but if I played punk I certainly wouldn't call the Ramones music utter shit.

Anytime you use break beats and other more organic funk/rock elements in electronic music, you're just doing something Kraftwerk did 35 years ago.
I like a lot of electronic music. Their work is at the bottom of my list, below even tiesto,sasha and digweed. Its worse than garbage, its cringeworthy elevator music at best.

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:01 pm

You guys are high on your "music history intellectualism" if you think kraftwerk doesnt sound dated. That statement alone almost discredits anything else youve said.

I can appreciate some bands talent even If i dont like their music but this is not the case at all with kraftwerk. 100 years from now no one will be listening to kraftwerk because its good, if at all they will be listening because of when they came out.
Last edited by ThrowAway on Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.