Who wants access to Ableton's Python API? .. You? .. Ok!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nathan Ramella

San Francisco / Bay Area Ableton Live User Meetings?

Post by Nathan Ramella » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:22 pm

Just a note to any SF/Bay Area folks, if there are any Ableton user-groups that get together I'd be happy to take a trek up from Santa Cruz to present the LiveAPI stuff and maybe give a tutorial or something, there's currently a documentation gap between 'What is this?' and 'How do I use this effectively?' that I'm pretty sure putting together a demonstration would help me nail down.
Also, some of the basic 'How do I use Python?' stuff could be covered.

I've got some nice functionality fixes I'll be comitting to the tree this weekend as well! :D

I've been rethinking some of the structure of LiveOSC from the standpoint of aiding fledgling developers and should have some sexy solutions to get people making neat stuff faster.

-n
remix.net - versus / liveapi / hangthedj / ammobox

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:39 pm

ooh, ooh, I thought of a good one.
Setting the master BPM by the tempo of the first recorded loop.

How?
record the initial loop by stabbing at the track record button - that will give you a sample of weird length. Unrelated to the current master BPM most likely.

get the loop length attribute, work out what BPM that is. (I'm guessing the float is the length in seconds, ifso - not too hard.)

set the master BPM from the extrapolated clip BPM.

right, all I have to do is install it now!
;)

Tone Deft

Re: San Francisco / Bay Area Ableton Live User Meetings?

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:12 pm

Nathan Ramella wrote:Just a note to any SF/Bay Area folks, if there are any Ableton user-groups that get together I'd be happy to take a trek up from Santa Cruz to present the LiveAPI stuff and maybe give a tutorial or something, there's currently a documentation gap between 'What is this?' and 'How do I use this effectively?' that I'm pretty sure putting together a demonstration would help me nail down.

I've got some nice functionality fixes I'll be comitting to the tree this weekend as well! :D

I've been rethinking some of the structure of LiveOSC from the standpoint of aiding fledgling developers and should have some sexy solutions to get people making neat stuff faster.

-n
Maybe the guys at Robotspeak could host this? www.robotspeak.com They host Live clinics and gear demos and love the weird side of electronics and music. I'd say there's a good chance they'd host. Nice offer!!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:16 am

axou wrote:
3dot... wrote: If this is what I think it is then the 'Lemur's days are numbered....
huh ??
This is more like the beginning of a new era for Live & Lemur owners, who have the most configurable OSC-native controller out there. Those are the best equipped to take advantage of this new layer of access to Live's functionalities
With multitouch screens available around the corner...and being able to comunicate directly with all paramaters of the DAW What makes Lemur 'Unique' will be gone... and users will be able to Build their own 'dexter's...

leonard

Post by leonard » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:23 am

drats and double drats. crumbs even. the sooner an os x version gets out there, the world will be a better place, imo.

leonard

Post by leonard » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:24 am

oh, i gather theres math libs for python (like computing cosign, exponentials etc?). i don't know anything about it, but i assume there is.

Nathan Ramella

Post by Nathan Ramella » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:54 am

leonard wrote:oh, i gather theres math libs for python (like computing cosign, exponentials etc?). i don't know anything about it, but i assume there is.
Yes, Python includes math libs.

DrJay

Post by DrJay » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:40 am

First of all: congratulations, brilliant work! This opens lots of new possibilities to create a customized controller.

But one question: Last night I've been playing with the OSC connections. I set-up a patch in pd and connected against Live.
Sending commands works fine, but I could not get any data back from Live to pd. I created a 'dumpOSC' object (listening for incoming OSC data) listening on port 9001, but never received any data from Live.

Could somebody please explain to me how to get the data back from live?
I need this in order to get the info on the LCDs of my remote control.

Thanks a lot

Nathan Ramella

Post by Nathan Ramella » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:52 am

DrJay wrote: Could somebody please explain to me how to get the data back from live?
I need this in order to get the info on the LCDs of my remote control.

Thanks a lot
A couple ways to respond to this.

First, it looks like the callbacks have a bug. heh. Instead of using 'self.oscServer.sendOSC()', it's using self.oscServer.send() which isn't bound to anything, so that might be the problem. :D

However, during the initialization you _should_ get some OSC messages sent out, by default they go to localhost port 9001. If you're not seeing _anything_ sent back you may have a firewall issue, make sure that Live.exe is in the firewall allow list.

As far as how to get data back from Live, look at the callback tempoCB, it gets an incoming request, services it, and then does a send (tho, should be sendOSC()) back.. That's pretty much the template.

I've added the send() thing to the bugs list and I should have a fix in shortly to SVN.

[edit]Fix is checked into SVN[/edit]

-n

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:23 am

maybe this is a good time and place to ask any electronics heads out there - how easy and cheap would it be to say make a simple unit with a basic LCD displaying clip names and fire buttons?

I have a UC-33e to fulfill my knob requirements, and all this stull seems like a good place to get onto building your own unit for buttons and display

I just got myself a beginner electronics kit to learn the *very* basics

I'm learning coding at Uni - (doing C# next semester, did Scheme this semester and apparently Python is somehow related to Scheme) so I'm happy to get into this python thing - just at the moment I'm not sure what I would want it for

Tone deft is already on to making a step sequencer, so I'll just wait for his! :P :lol:

but I would Love to make my own controller of sorts - I just havent got a clue where to start

in fact i even just use an external USB computer keyboard for buttons to trigger clips etc so the main thing is just display

anyone got any ideas/testaments??

amigo

Post by amigo » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:57 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Nathan Ramella wrote:Just a note to any SF/Bay Area folks, if there are any Ableton user-groups that get together I'd be happy to take a trek up from Santa Cruz to present the LiveAPI stuff and maybe give a tutorial or something, there's currently a documentation gap between 'What is this?' and 'How do I use this effectively?' that I'm pretty sure putting together a demonstration would help me nail down.

-n
Maybe the guys at Robotspeak could host this? www.robotspeak.com They host Live clinics and gear demos and love the weird side of electronics and music. I'd say there's a good chance they'd host. Nice offer!!
It would be great if you could record the demo and post the video to LiveAPI.org or Youtube.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:59 am

FORGE-

www.ucapps.de
...is where you want to haunt. It might look huge up front but read about the projects, that seems to be the site where the DIY crowd gathers to help each other out. A lot of projects are completely laid out. Take advantage of student discounts on compilers, programmers and parts while you can.

LCDs, I've never done a project from the ground up, check uCapps for what people use and print out the spec sheet and just start reading. I like to print them 4 pages per side of 8x11 sheet to makes them quicker to read, less intimidating easier to get to info. Forge, feel free to e-mail me on any ideas. LCDs are static, they don't change until you tell them to, write a byte of what to display, another byte to tell it where.

Dunno about the Python step sequencer, my fingers wrote some post or another about that, they have some ideas. I think my summer will be spent on Monome 40h tweaks (RGB LEDs) I'm more of a hardware than a software geek. I'm thinking Python might replace MAX/MSP for the monome interface, Live 7 will guide that decision. Then at some time the Live 7 beta will start and bye bye free time.

Python voodoo... Sqook I'm looking at you!! There's quite a few software gurus around here.

A year from now the Live landscape will be completely different. Very interesting times for Ableton and its users.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Nathan Ramella

Post by Nathan Ramella » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:00 am

[quote=Amigo]
It would be great if you could record the demo and post the video to LiveAPI.org or Youtube.[/quote]

I'm not much to look at, but this sounds like a good idea. Consider it noted!

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:12 am

thanks tone
I'll check it out!

DrJay

Post by DrJay » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:08 pm

@Nathan Ramella

thanks for the quick reply. Firewall settings are not an issue. Looks like I created a wrong connection in pd. At least I managed to get the 'welcome message' when selecting LiveOSC in Live.
As far as I got you, I have to replace 'self.oscServer.send()' by 'self.oscServer.sendOSC()' in the tempoCB procedure, when I query the tempo. I'll try that tonight.