Dig Glitch-Hop?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Do you like Glitch-Hop?

Yes!
33%
No!
11%
Its ok!
3%
What the f*** is glitch-hop?
44%
Its nothing new!
8%

Total votes: 36

Mr Mowgli

Dig Glitch-Hop?

Post by Mr Mowgli » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:55 am

I recently came across a style of Hip Hop that is new to my ears 'Glitch-Hop' We are based in the UK so forgive me if this style has been around for ages, but I'm pretty sure its fairly new, I have produced Hip Hop for some time now and really like the idea of mixing elements of Minimal with Hip Hop including sounds like circuit bent sounds and elements for Dirty South into one big mashup - artists like Glitch Mob and others seem to be getting quite far with this style and I do have respect for their production styles.

Its deffo quite nerdy style, but some of the production is quite impressive and a far cry from allot of 'Hip Hop' around today - refreshing!

Do you think it will take off majorly? Is it the new Dirty South?

Hope so! :D

LISTEN TO GLITCH MOB: http://www.myspace.com/theglitchmob
Last edited by Mr Mowgli on Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Jay - Founder, Prime Loops [2GB Free Download for my friends...Click Banner!]

juanpablo1313

Post by juanpablo1313 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:02 am

Sorry I don't know the style,but could you post some material or info to know it? sounds interesting, but here in latin america I believe it's not known :/

eric_c

Post by eric_c » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:05 am

Does Prefuse 73 fall into this category?

Mr Mowgli

Post by Mr Mowgli » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:08 am

Prefuse are Pre-Glitch Hop lol, although definately a contributor to its roots, which I believe come from (including the above post) and also artists like Slug/Atmosphere MF Doom etc

Heres a link to the Glitch Mob, who are dominating the scene currently:

http://www.myspace.com/theglitchmob
Ben Jay - Founder, Prime Loops [2GB Free Download for my friends...Click Banner!]

juanpablo1313

Post by juanpablo1313 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:04 am

Got it, sounds good, I like it.

o0o

Post by o0o » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:56 am

the thing is glitch has been around for longer than i think prefuse 73 even has, I like glitchmob but I hope it doesn't get to saturating, i think even BT is getting tired of stuttering. btw what part of glitchmob is the hiphop part?
rabbit

Mr Mowgli

Post by Mr Mowgli » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:19 am

Well--Glitch mob is all around 90bpm, and obviosuly takes allot of influence from Hip Hop..

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:10 pm

The constituent parts aren't really new, but your example - glitch mob - do it really well. You've got to be careful with the stuttering as well, because it's easy to go over the top and just annoy people, especially in a live setting (it might be fun for you, but it will easily fatigue an audience).

Will it be 'mainstream' popular? Probably not. To get to the point of critical mass would require many more artists working in this style - and the production techniques are really involved (hand editing mostly) and quite nerdy. Perhaps elements will creep into 'mainstream' tracks more and more. There was a Britney song recently that sounded like it had a little influence from this sort of stuff.

lola

Post by lola » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:25 pm

Ah you mean like the shadowhuntaz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Kn4vPjT2M

It's just idm with rhymes on top

they did this for years now.

4ace

Post by 4ace » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:42 pm

fatrabbit wrote:The constituent parts aren't really new, but your example - glitch mob - do it really well. You've got to be careful with the stuttering as well, because it's easy to go over the top and just annoy people, especially in a live setting (it might be fun for you, but it will easily fatigue an audience).

Will it be 'mainstream' popular? Probably not. To get to the point of critical mass would require many more artists working in this style - and the production techniques are really involved (hand editing mostly) and quite nerdy. Perhaps elements will creep into 'mainstream' tracks more and more. There was a Britney song recently that sounded like it had a little influence from this sort of stuff.
What this guy said. Pretty much sums it up.......
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

thesmallisbeautiful

Post by thesmallisbeautiful » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:09 pm

I once did an interview with ediT for a magazine in NYC and he said that one of the tracks off of "certified air raid material" was almost sold to Christina Aguilera, but in the end they said it sounded "too much like a Britney Spears" song, which I thought was pretty hilarious.

Mr Mowgli

Post by Mr Mowgli » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:57 pm

thesmallisbeautiful wrote:I once did an interview with ediT for a magazine in NYC and he said that one of the tracks off of "certified air raid material" was almost sold to Christina Aguilera, but in the end they said it sounded "too much like a Britney Spears" song, which I thought was pretty hilarious.
LOL

I think there is potencial for the scene although I don't think it will catch on majorly as its not commercial, but it will definately influence the scene, is it too advanced for the mainstream?

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:26 pm

It's been huge in the burning man community and san fransisco bay area for a long time now. There are a lot of others besides glitch mob, including vibesquad, seventh swami, flying lotus, funkstorung, nosajthing, etc. Its fun to party to.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:11 pm

lola wrote:Ah you mean like the shadowhuntaz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Kn4vPjT2M

It's just idm with rhymes on top

they did this for years now.

thats actualy been a staple way before idm, that kind of music is just what's called the original underground hiphop made popular in LA from way back in the day. it's where freestyle fellowship, bus driver and tons of others came from, i think it started the backpacker thing too

check out global flowtations

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:21 pm