Clip Information

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Tiger91

Clip Information

Post by Tiger91 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:35 am

Does anyone know if there's a way to display the Key, BPM and Length(bars) information that may be encoded in a clip? (I'm thinking of the info in Apple Loops / Acid / etc. formats).

I'm accustomed to working in Apple Soundtrack, and the Key info is turning out to be especially hard to live without.

Thanks in advance-

benblue

Post by benblue » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:51 am

this is live 3.
live 4 looks similar.
the BPM is circled red.
the Length is circled blue. this is the lenght of the PLAYBACK of the loop, not necessarily the lenght of the entire smaple, but quite often so.

LIVE will almost always guess the BPM and length perfect, esp for well cut loops. LONG files, you usually have to do a little warp marker maniulation.
but once you do it for a clip (wav/aif) you wont ever have to do it again if u press "save" above the transpose, it will remember the seettings for that sound, in any future song,

LIVE ROCKS!

Tiger91

Post by Tiger91 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:03 am

Thanks for the reply, benblue.

As I wrote in my first post, it's the _key_ information, as encoded in Apple Loops (and Acid, I think), that I miss the most.

I find that in Soundtrack I can audition and choose a group of loops to use in a composition _much_ more rapidly than in Live, because I don't need to hear each loop in its original key first, and then (guessing by ear) transpose it up and down until it fits (or not) in the piece I'm working on.

Don't get me wrong -- I don't want Soundtrack's auto key-match, I just want to be able to coveniently see any key info that may be encoded in a particular loop.

Obviously, much more musical things happen with a group of loops once you get them in Live, but the first step has been frustrating me.

Still looking for some workflow suggestions to address my issue. Anyone?

Thanks. This forum rocks.

benblue

Post by benblue » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:12 am

i get it now. i used acid few years ago. im done with it...more ways than one...anyways.

maybe that key info was part of the "acidization" encoded in acid files.
i cant recall if acid did that for ALL wav files, not just "acidized" files.
i dont think it could guess the key of everything you put in it...but you could specifiy a key.

soundtrack, ive never used, but id guess it has some kind of info in it like acdized files, esp if the sound came from an apple cd libaray or came with the prog.

i dont know what to tell ya...youre mostly gonna have to guess or come up with a quick way to establish the key liek play a guitar or paino, if ya got one. if not, you create some default dummy clips that are tones goin up the scale(s). then you could easily import a sound, solo it and the tone, and match them.

an idea :?: