suggestions

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
iplaylive

suggestions

Post by iplaylive » Fri Jan 11, 2002 11:15 am

hi all,

i already posted these to ableton. but this seems to be the place to post suggestions. some of them have might been posted by other before...

0. midiclock output. quite essential. for studio as well as live use. i have tried to work with the sync-in feature but i found that it doesn\'t always work steady enough. being able to use live as a master clock would make things much easier. you probably heard this one before...

1. loop clip to end. i often use very long clips. 32 bars or more. i often have problems switching long clips at the right moment, especially when i have a lot of tracks running. the max value in the global quantization menu is 1 bar. so if you want to switch 6 clips at the same time things can become messy. i don\'t think this should be solved by increasing the max quantization value to 2 bars or more, and a option to set quantization to individual clips would make things too complicated. so a good solution would be to introduce a \'loop clip to end\' check box in the clip section in clip view. when checked the clip loops to its end, ignoring the global quantization value.

2. loop number. in addition to a \'loop to end\' function there could also be a function that makes a clip loop an x amount of times before a new clip will launch. this could be interesting to use with very short clips. and it would also work very well with a \'chain clips\' function [see below]

3. chain clips. it would be really cool if clips could be chained. i often find myself copying clips to a new slot in the same track to make some variations. it could be interesting to be able to select multiple clips in the same track and chain them, so when one clip is launched, the othes in the chain will play in succession, looping back to the 1st one when the last one has finished. the clip that is clicked will launch first. this would allow for easy mini arrangements within the session view. and also for very interesting timesignature experiments [chaining clips with different lenghts] of course there should be some sort of visual clue to see what clips are chained. maybe an outline similar to a rubber band selection.

the functions described above would make it possible to make much more complex variations without loosing the ease of use. you can have live play more complex patterns and also introduce a degree of automation [chaining, loop number], keeping it easy enough to operate live.

4. lastly it would be good to have customisable key commands. for obvious reasons.

please let me know what you think...

-i

mateo

suggestions

Post by mateo » Mon Jan 14, 2002 11:23 pm

iplaylive wrote: 1. loop clip to end. i often use very long clips. 32 bars or more. i often have problems switching long clips at the right moment, especially when i have a lot of tracks running. the max value in the global quantization menu is 1 bar. so if you want to switch 6 clips at the same time things can become messy.
Something you can do is select multiple clips using the Ctrl button, then hit enter to have them launch at the same time.
mateo

-------------------
www.mateomurphy.com