max for live devices accessible to 'normal live 8 users????

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
blackboab

max for live devices accessible to 'normal live 8 users????

Post by blackboab » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:04 pm

Anyone know whether Max for Live devices will be accessible to live 8 users who don't own Max for Live? I only mean the devices, not the ability to edit said devices.

Using some of these devices would be fantastic, but I am no programmer, and I have absolutely no interest in what is going on under the hood, or in editing my own MAX patches.

For example you don't need to own MAX in order to use devices created in MAX, you only need the MAX runtime environment in order to run devices created in MAX. Will there be a similar setup for Ableton Live users who want to use MfL devices, but who don't want the full editing environment.

I can only imagine some of the great devices people are going to create using MfL, and it would be great to have access to the devices that others are willing to share (or sell ... fuck that would be a great business opportunity to experienced MAX programmers).

Anyone have any idea or info about this?

Keddy

Post by Keddy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:53 pm

Yeah, but if you don't pay for the software, then no lap dances for Abes, so...
Inspiron 1520 - XP SP3 - Ableton Live7 - Reason 4 - M-Audio Axiom25 - Novation ReMote ZeroSL - Korg PadKontrol - M-Audio MobilePre - Ibanez SGR Bass - Hilo Ukulele

stringtapper

Re: max for live devices accessible to 'normal live 8 users?

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:41 pm

blackboab wrote:Anyone know whether Max for Live devices will be accessible to live 8 users who don't own Max for Live? I only mean the devices, not the ability to edit said devices.

Using some of these devices would be fantastic, but I am no programmer, and I have absolutely no interest in what is going on under the hood, or in editing my own MAX patches.

For example you don't need to own MAX in order to use devices created in MAX, you only need the MAX runtime environment in order to run devices created in MAX. Will there be a similar setup for Ableton Live users who want to use MfL devices, but who don't want the full editing environment.

I can only imagine some of the great devices people are going to create using MfL, and it would be great to have access to the devices that others are willing to share (or sell ... fuck that would be a great business opportunity to experienced MAX programmers).

Anyone have any idea or info about this?
So far there's no indication that this will be so. Gerhard Behles specifically cited the fact that non-patchers could still use devices made by others if they have Max for Live as a selling point in the "Extend" video.
Unsound Designer

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:02 pm

Rave wrote:Abes should open an APP store like itunes and apply the same rate i.e. 70% for the developer and 30% for Abes (hosting, management etc...) Abes could coin in some cash that way.
Why? Why should they sell the patches that people make?

The Reaktor UL is extensive, and FREE. Tool like CList's BeatLookUp are a boon for the software performer...
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:09 pm

They've already said there are no plans for a runtime for Live at present, so the only way you'll be able to use M4L devices is by buying M4L.

I wasn't aware of there being a Max runtime, is there one? I know there is a Pluggo runtime but I thought that devices had to be created specifically to use with that.