what do you think of the price of maschine

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:29 pm

doc holiday wrote:all i know is that at this point in time, mascine is giving me a woody
:lol: well said

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:34 pm

Filterheadz wrote:@ewistrand

1. how does it integrate with a host? can you drag the patterns into the host and build your song from there?

2. can you import midifiles?

3. can maschine work without the controller?

thanx,

bert
I'd like to know the answer to these questions as well.
Professional Shark Jumper.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:40 pm

Filterheadz wrote:@ewistrand

1. how does it integrate with a host? can you drag the patterns into the host and build your song from there?

2. can you import midifiles?

3. can maschine work without the controller?

thanx,

bert

From what I understand:

1. You can open Maschine just like any other vst inside of a host. Just like any other vst, you can use it's multiple outputs and record the audio into your host and add fx, etc.

2. I believe it can import midi files.

3. I don't think Maschine will work without it's hardware aspect.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:05 am

kb420 wrote:
From what I understand:

1. You can open Maschine just like any other vst inside of a host. Just like any other vst, you can use it's multiple outputs and record the audio into your host and add fx, etc.
Correct.
Not at the present.
It works without the hardware attached.

ew

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:32 am

beats me wrote: Well, it would be the coolest thing ever if you could run it with or without the computer but I really didn't expect it and I'm not pissed that it doesn't do that. This would probably at least double the price.

Maybe people should be more pissed off that the legendary MPCs still don't have a computer application like Maschine.
God yes! why the jump from hardware to software didn't include some Golden Age where you could use hardware, and edit transfer etc. it with the computer will always be a mystery to me.

Even on the fastest laptop, there's latency that a fast drummer will notice, this is why i'll never get the total abandonment of some super cool integration between hardware and software?

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:36 am

Machinesworking wrote:
beats me wrote: Well, it would be the coolest thing ever if you could run it with or without the computer but I really didn't expect it and I'm not pissed that it doesn't do that. This would probably at least double the price.

Maybe people should be more pissed off that the legendary MPCs still don't have a computer application like Maschine.
God yes! why the jump from hardware to software didn't include some Golden Age where you could use hardware, and edit transfer etc. it with the computer will always be a mystery to me.

Even on the fastest laptop, there's latency that a fast drummer will notice, this is why i'll never get the total abandonment of some super cool integration between hardware and software?
but that's what the roland mv8000 and 88 did, and that might be a better comparison as the mv8000 can be had for less than the maschine

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:54 am

starving student wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:

but that's what the roland mv8000 and 88 did, and that might be a better comparison as the mv8000 can be had for less than the maschine
Hmm? looks like twice as much. http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLMV8000
and what I'm talking about it sharing a complete library with a computer, multiple audio file dump. Every sampler I've used imported slowly at best and pretty much sample by sample. What I'm talking about is something exactly like the Maschine software wise, with built in hard drive and sample playback / sequencing capabilities.
Do all the heavy lifting with a computer attached, and the song playing and re-arranging in the device. 8) Too late though, this should have happened when firewire came out, around 2001, now it would cost too much for the benefits in most people's minds.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:44 am

ewistrand wrote:
kb420 wrote:
From what I understand:

Correct.
Not at the present.

ew
Thanks for clearing that up.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Oscar F

Post by Oscar F » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:39 am

o0o wrote:now this is something I will want to explore,

http://www.gearjunkies.com/news_info.php?news_id=3516

this software looks awesome like they really thought about people who like beats, it's like guru and drumracks in one but I think a little easier to use then either of them, I hope it won't be too expensive, I think it's going to put fruity loops out of business cause even in it's stand alone mode they don't give you any reason to go outside of the program and you get an incredible amount of work done, even alot of mixing (features they borrowed from live :wink: ), if they allow you to skin it yourself I'll be spending alot of time with this one.

anyone know the availability or price ?

I have to agree with you on this one.
I would drop the money on this bit of kit seeing as I already own an MPD32 and have pretty switched from Live to Logic Studio.
Looks exceptionally well thought out I must add and would be almost like having Live inside Logic (no rewire) for what I was using Live for primarily on my old PC.
Great implementation, of Apple Loops, Rex2, Midi Files, Audio Loops and the like also.
Definitely a way tastier option for me than Maschine that's for sure.
:wink:
Somewhere between a rock and a hard place is actually nowhere.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:29 am

Oscar F wrote:
o0o wrote:now this is something I will want to explore,

http://www.gearjunkies.com/news_info.php?news_id=3516

this software looks awesome like they really thought about people who like beats, it's like guru and drumracks in one but I think a little easier to use then either of them, I hope it won't be too expensive, I think it's going to put fruity loops out of business cause even in it's stand alone mode they don't give you any reason to go outside of the program and you get an incredible amount of work done, even alot of mixing (features they borrowed from live :wink: ), if they allow you to skin it yourself I'll be spending alot of time with this one.

anyone know the availability or price ?

I have to agree with you on this one.
I would drop the money on this bit of kit seeing as I already own an MPD32 and have pretty switched from Live to Logic Studio.
Looks exceptionally well thought out I must add and would be almost like having Live inside Logic (no rewire) for what I was using Live for primarily on my old PC.
Great implementation, of Apple Loops, Rex2, Midi Files, Audio Loops and the like also.
Definitely a way tastier option for me than Maschine that's for sure.
:wink:

BPM seems like the way to go. I agree. I also have a MPC 32. I'm really interested in BPM's 15 GB library.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:19 am

I don't see any mention anywhere that it can load battery kits or cells. Ew, is this correct? It's strange that NI came out with another Beat Machine software that can not use it's other drum formats.

Can it even load multisamples? I wonder if it comes with drum sounds for cells/pads that are multi-layered drum hits.

Also, there's a limit of two effects per drum? Are there send effects? If not, that would be a pretty weird limitation. I can understand two inserts if there are sends.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Mehalic

Post by Mehalic » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:42 pm

I think you can have multisamples from what I remember from watching the videos.

Personally, this is looking really sweet - I'll probably end up getting one to sit beside the new APC40. For me, it would be a great work flow setup. That's what I think everyone is overlooking here... Work flow is personal, what works for me, may not work for you. It's like the Kaosilator thread going on right now (is it a toy or not), well it depends on how YOU use it.

Anyways, I'm out.
MM
Symbolic Studio's
K-DUB

SoundCloud Account

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:47 pm

Mehalic wrote: Personally, this is looking really sweet - I'll probably end up getting one to sit beside the new APC40. For me, it would be a great work flow setup.
+1

i need to test drive it tho...

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:49 pm

ewistrand wrote:
kb420 wrote:
From what I understand:

Correct.
Not at the present.

ew
I'm really surprised and disappointed that you can't import MIDI patterns. A lot of drum plugs are great as a starting pointing for programming but once you start arranging it's a lot more useful to have the patterns directly in clips or the arrangement. So that's a major fail to me.

Maybe this has something to do with the patterns in Maschine having more than just note on and off and velocity messages. Dunno.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:11 pm

30 day no hassle satisfaction return policy over at sweetwater.

30 days should be a good demo period.

now to move that tr-909 collecting dust on my shelf.