Critical: any way to nudge clips automatically?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Max Oepen

Critical: any way to nudge clips automatically?

Post by Max Oepen » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:32 am

The dilemma is: I am recording both MIDI and audio tracks to the click in a live situation, and since actual "zero-latency" cannot physically be achieved...
Is there a way to nudge the actual clips on individual tracks according to a preset amount of samples or miliseconds?

"Track delay" doesn't work for me (because it affects the click and everything else, thus keeping things out of sync. Track delay would only work after the fact in this case, something i cannot do while audio is already playing.)
"Loop Start" doesn't work for me (because it cannot be set in samples, only bars/beats/16ths)

The current workaround for me is to have two click tracks:
One for Midi, and one for audio. The one for Midi is delayed by the amount of samples equaling the audio latency. Goes without saying that this is definitely not an ideal scenario, though it works.

I also posted this as a feature request:
"Early on I was trying to remedy latency woes by using Live's track delay, which can be set to negative values. Alas, this only delays everything else by the set pre-delay value.

A way to accomplish actual pre-delay, would be for Live to nudge the recorded clip into place (by the specified predelay value) as soon as the clip has finished recording.

Solution for concern of overlap: If the recorded clip is to play back immediately, it will have to start as many samples into the clip as it has been pre-delayed by.

(I wish I was good at creating illustrative graphics, because there's an easier way to explains this visually).

If this was implemented into Live, it would make syncing-up-while-playing-along a breeze. (Currently, I have to sync to Live's click-track in my ears an play "ahead" of what's playing. A real headache).

Could this possibly be solved with Max/MSP & Live8?

Thanks,
Max Oepen"

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:01 am

Idea : set clip quantize to none, and then use the clip nudge feature- this must nudge the clip forward or back by a set number (very smalll for each nudge) of samples, since clip quantization is off. How many? I don't know.

Well, probably not ideal either, but might help.

Max Oepen

Post by Max Oepen » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:58 pm

...use the clip nudge feature...
Yep, that's possible, but neither very accurate nor convenient. Thank you for the input though!
I had actually already assigned a rotary controller to nudge the clips in this way as an experiment.
Another draw-back of this method is that every time I stop and then restart the clip, it'll start in the original place and needs to be nudged again...

Please Henke, Behles et al., incorporate assignable (in ms/samples) clip nudging in a future update. It would solve my most consistent and long-standing problem with using Ableton Live, well, live.

Of course I'm still holding out some hope that someone will come here and say, "oh yeah, you can already achieve this in Live by doing...". You'd be my personal hero.

Thanks,
Max Oepen.

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:25 am

Yeah, nudge by track is one of the features I asked for last year in that online poll they sent around.

But it would be interesting to know how many samples one "nudge" corresponds to when quantization is off- it must be a set amount don't you think?