beatport are twits

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

beatport are twits

Post by forge » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:47 pm

I jut tried to buy something from beatport for the first time in about a year and remembered why I stopped buying from them

they actually locked me out because I forgot my password

all well and good if their support were like Ableton's, but they're not - they NEVER reply to any email I've ever sent.

so that's another sale they lost, because you can absolutely guarantee by morning I will no longer want to spend the money, or I will have just paid the 2 bucks extra for itunes

I reckon just from me alone they've lost at least $100 in sales they prevented me from making because of this weird system

and this is from people trying to survive by selling downloads to the generation that is used to downloading for free...weird

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:01 pm

I think this is the #1 reason why piracy of low value items exists.

People obtain stuff the easiest way, not the cheapest.

As long as it is easier to obtain "DJ La Funke's Greatest Hit" on mp3-ripper.ru than it is on a legit site then people will do it. Count the number of steps in each process. The illegal one is usually a hell of a lot less intrusive (IE shorter)

I think that eMusic is a classic case of making it as unpleasant as possible for potential purchasers. You visit their site and you can't even browse the store to see if there is anything you want!

Non-members get a choice of two sign-up forms before they can even search to see if they have a particular artist or song. Laughable !
http://www.emusic.com/

forge

Post by forge » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:07 pm

yep. I was at a friends house not so long ago and we were talking about some artist or other and he got the buzz to get something by them. He was totally up for buying it, had the credit card ready to go, so we went to log on to beatport and I reckon we fucked around for a good 20 minutes before he looked at me quizzically and said" you see why I just use soulseek?"

I mean, seriously, the record industry has had how long to figure out this internet thing?? Sorry, I think they deserve everything they get really. There are some that make it reasonably easy, but most of them are total twits.

FEIsaR

Post by FEIsaR » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:12 pm

forge -I had the same problem with beatport .even better i did send them copy of my purchase order to reactivate my account and no replay so... screw them1
there's so many Better places to by music try
http://www.whatpeopleplay.com/
love those guys to bits!
Beat-the-port are shit!
MBP ,Live 7 ,Absynth 4, FM8 ,Operator ,MPD24 ,Kaossilator

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:30 pm

I only shop on download.com these days. There system is way better IMHO. They have a embedded player that allows you to play your search results. Or the new releases and so on. That way I can shop wile I do the dishes. I do stuff around the house and when I hear a good track I add it to my list and cary on. Also dealing with the from a customer angle as well as a Label they respond to my emails within reasonable time frames.

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:11 pm

agreed. i just cancelled a perfectly good credit card because their fucking website was such a piece of shit. but i only buy wavs or flac (can't stand the way mp3's sound when warped!), so beatport is one of my few options. anyone out there recommend any other good download "stores" that sell wav/flac/aiff files? i get most of my dubstep from digital-tunes.net (wav the same price as mp3!), but also occasionaly buy indie hip-hop, glitch, breakbeat, d&b/breakcore, and other non-house/non-trance electronic music.
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:15 pm

memes_33 wrote:agreed. i just cancelled a perfectly good credit card because their fucking website was such a piece of shit. but i only buy wavs or flac (can't stand the way mp3's sound when warped!), so beatport is one of my few options. anyone out there recommend any other good download "stores" that sell wav/flac/aiff files? i get most of my dubstep from digital-tunes.net (wav the same price as mp3!), but also occasionaly buy indie hip-hop, glitch, breakbeat, d&b/breakcore, and other non-house/non-trance electronic music.
junodownload and bleep I prefer.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:26 pm

My #1 complaint with beatport is regional purchasing restrictions. It may not be their fault but if the system is smart enough to not let me buy it then it should be smart enough to not even let me hear the track. I couldn't tell you how many times I was consistently blocked from buying tracks I wanted one after the other.

On itunes if you can't buy it then you also can't find it. Simple.

trevorc

Post by trevorc » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:32 pm

FEIsaR wrote: there's so many Better places to by music try
love those guys to bits!
this is the one, really personal service, good player, well edited selection.. they came on board with wavs in september and haven't caught up loading a wav back catalogue yet, but that's the only possible criticism i could squeeze out about whatpeopleplay. they deserve your money....

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:39 pm

I wholeheartedly share in your disdain for SHITPORT.

Fuck 'em!

Screw em'

I hope they fail. I have actually resorted to torrents to find music because SHITPORT has locked me out so many times.

I am fervently against stealing music and yet I hate FuckPORT so much that I DO.

God I hate Them!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :!:
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

bytheriver

Post by bytheriver » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:08 pm

Funny, I had the exact same thing.

Forgot my password about 6 months ago after I stopped playing out, went over the weekend to buy a few current techno/minimal tracks to deconstruct/sample etc to help my production.

Locked out, emailed them Saturday asking for a new password and still no reply. I go through this same routine every month or so, give up, forget about it till the next month rolls round and think i'll give it another go.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:27 pm

I like beatport. But I havent had any problems so far, except for regional purchasing.
Does sound like their customer service is terrible.

http://www.trackitdown.net/
http://www.7digital.com

chevthewizard

Post by chevthewizard » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:29 pm

trevorc wrote:
FEIsaR wrote: there's so many Better places to by music try
love those guys to bits!
this is the one, really personal service, good player, well edited selection.. they came on board with wavs in september and haven't caught up loading a wav back catalogue yet, but that's the only possible criticism i could squeeze out about whatpeopleplay. they deserve your money....
dunno why i haven't checked this site out before, i think the name put me off, been playing around on it and i really like it. very nice player. the only thing that bothers me is there don't seem to be many releases on it? am i missing something like a 'show all' or are there really like 1-6 releases per week per subgenre?
My Website | Myspace | Soundcloud
birdhouse19 wrote:i was playing a club last night and had to play some rap, and i know ableton live isnt very good with rap without a sound card.

trevorc

Post by trevorc » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:43 pm

there's nowhere near as much on there as beatport.. but that's a good thing.

i get an email every day with all the new releases, usually about 15 or 20 per day. it's missing a few significant labels but most of the ones they have are worth having.

apart from mau5crap :?

chevthewizard

Post by chevthewizard » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm

hmm, well that's a bit low. juno's getting loads in these days, and still of fairly decent quality. i thrive on that stressed out "i'm never gonna be able to listen to every release" feeling of hopelessness when looking at the list of tracks!!

still, some really cool tracks on here. i will probably look on here when i feel like feeling less stressed. :D
My Website | Myspace | Soundcloud
birdhouse19 wrote:i was playing a club last night and had to play some rap, and i know ableton live isnt very good with rap without a sound card.