Live Racks vs. Kore 2

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
ngermick

Live Racks vs. Kore 2

Post by ngermick » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:03 pm

I am in the process of figuring out the best approach to putting together a live set that will mix external hardware synths, soft synths that are played live, prerecorded and live recorded improvised loops.

I bought Kore 2 thinking that it would handle all of the soft synths that will be played live. However, much of this can be done with racks and chains. I'm concerned about the stability and resource usage of Kore. Ideally, I'd like to simplify and do it all in Ableton. But the Kore approach to performances and presets seems a bit more straight forward then configuring chains in Ableton. Also, I like that I can very easily disable plugins that aren't being used in a particular song within a Kore preset.

I'm curious to hear if anyone is successfully using Kore with Live. Or conversely, I'd appreciate any tips on setting up a live set using racks and chains to play soft synths live.

Finally, how would I go about activating and deactivating specific devices (to conserve resources) in a chain via a scene change? Say I have one large live set where different scenes represent different songs. Can I create a clip that specifies which chain to select and which devices to activate and make it part of that scene?

Thanks,
Nathan