[5147] 8b5 - crossfade bug? - adjacent clip muted

Bunky Freaks

[5147] 8b5 - crossfade bug? - adjacent clip muted

Post by Bunky Freaks » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:23 pm

a wierd thing is going on, might be a user error due to not understanding how exactly crossfades work. Anways here goes:

http://www.torpedotrickser.de/live8beta ... ck_Bug.zip

In this simple project, two clips are aligned in arrangement. Crossfade is active.

But the second clip is muted / does not play back if playback is started in front of/at the first clip.

The second clip plays fine if playback is started at its beginning.

db91977

Post by db91977 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:35 pm

I was playing with the crossfades this morning, and noticed a similar bug:

I loaded three sample files (.aif) from the Library onto a Track in the Arrangement view, butting them up against each other so I could try the crossfades from Clip to Clip. When playback goes through the second Clip into the third, the third clip's audio drops out for one bar.

But, if I click near the beginning of the third Clip in the Scrub Area, to start playback there, the audio is heard.

I thought that since the audio dropout occurs for one bar only (and my Global Quantization (GQ)was set to one bar) that changing the GQ to a different value might change the length of the audio dropout, but this is not the case. The audio is still muted for one bar at the beginning of the third Clip, no matter what the GC is set to.

Just noticed this bug detail:

If the crossfade is after the junction between the Clips, the one-bar audio dropout occurs.
If the crossfade is before the junction between the Clips, the one-bar audio dropout does not occur.

[Btw I haven't been able to get this bug to occur predictably, but I'm trying various scenarios now]

--Doug

db91977

Repeatable scenario found...

Post by db91977 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:12 pm

I was able to find a scenario for this bug which is repeatable:

1. From the Library in the folder /Samples/Waveforms/Texture, drag the following three samples into an Audio Track in the Arrangement View, butting the second & third samples up against the end of the previously-loaded sample(s):

a) Rising Klic.aif
b) Swepdustry.aif
c) Vinyl KI3.aif

(NOTE: Load the first sample so that its start is somewhere after 1:1:1, like 2:1:1. The bug does not seem to occur when the first sample is loaded at 1:1:1, fwiw)

2. In the Fades/Device Chooser, just below the Track title, choose "Fades" from the pull-down list.

3. In the Track, select a range of time that includes the boundary between the second and third clip.

4. Right-click on this selection, and in the context menu, choose Create Crossfade, or press Ctrl-Alt-F. A crossfade will be created across the range of time you selected.

5. Start playback of this string of Clips, from the beginning, or anywhere up to the Fade Out Handle of the crossfade you created. When playback reaches the third Clip, the audio drops out.

6. Start playback from anywhere to the right of the Fade Out Handle. Audio from the third Clip is heard.

Note: In my post above, I mentioned that the audio drops out for one bar, but I was mistaken. The audio is gone for the duration of the third Clip. If you select and duplicate the third Clip, and perform the above steps, the audio drops out on the original third Clip, but it comes back on the duplicate of the Clip.

--Doug

db91977

Post by db91977 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:52 pm

Further notes:

If I extend the length of the third Clip on its left end, so that it's partially overlapping the second Clip, and then do the crossfade, the third Clip audio is heard OK. The crossfade start and end points don't seem to matter in this case.

BUT,

If I extend the length of the second Clip to the right, so that it partially overlaps the third Clip, and start the crossfade before the original boundary between the second and third Clip, the third Clip audio is not heard.

If I extend the length of the second Clip to the right, as above, and then start the crossfade after the original boundary between the second and third Clips, audio is heard on the third Clip.

Also, if I create the crossfade to get the bug, then drag the Fade Out Handle of the crossfade to the right, so that it is to the right of the original boundary between the second and third Clips (dashed vertical line in the Track), audio is then heard OK on the third Clip. I can drag the Fade Out Handle back and forth across this Clip boundary marker to make the third clip audio go away or come back.

I also just downloaded and imported Bunky Freaks' Live Set and was able to verify the crossfade bug in his Set. As noted above, I was able to get the second clip's audio to play in Bunky's Set by dragging the Fade Out Handle to the right, past the boundary between Clips.

While playing with his Set, I noticed something else, too- If I drag the Fade Out Handle all the way to the left to make the second Clip's audio disappear, the bug doesn't occur on the first try. Only when the boundary marker between the Clips flashes, does the bug occur on the next playback.

--Doug

naph

Post by naph » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:22 pm

experienced the same problem tonight while playing around with two full tracks.

i noticed that the weirdness started after i moved to the right the second track start point when the crossfade was already set.
the waveform would still be displayed fine, but the second track was muted.

i wasn't able to reproduce it consistently so i didn't sent in a bug file.

Amaury

Re: [5147] 8b5 - crossfade bug? - adjacent clip muted

Post by Amaury » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:05 pm

Hi,

This should be fixed in beta 22. Can you confirm?

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

Bunky Freaks

Re: [5147] 8b5 - crossfade bug? - adjacent clip muted

Post by Bunky Freaks » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:31 am

Hi Amaury,

I can confirm that crossfades in this case now work as expected in B23.

cheers