Content - "Kit-GranularStretch" six key CPU bomb?

Sales Dude McBoob

Content - "Kit-GranularStretch" six key CPU bomb?

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Instruments > Drum Rack > Kit > Kit-GranularStretch

If I press the first six keys simultaneously (Kick Long > Tom Low) it drives the CPU to 80% with nasty clipping. Pressing all of the keys shoots me up to 200% with the audio begging for mercy.

Is this an issue with the instrument or my grandfather-like Apple?

Nogi

Post by Nogi » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:33 pm

I'm seeing 28%(6 keys)/75%(all) reported CPU usage under these conditions. That's a lot but then that's a whole bunch of Operators+FX.

scientist

Post by scientist » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:46 pm

on my 1.83 ghz core duo...6 keys hits 50%. there's a lot of stuff in this kit...

db

Post by db » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:18 am

Hi,

the GranularStretch is indeed one of the heavier Kits, it's all Operators with Grain Delays and other effects.

A single Drum Rack only utilizes a single core, so it is not really maxing out your multicore computer. Additional tracks in the Live Set will be diverted to the other CPU core(s).

Increasing the buffer size or reducing Sample Rate in the Preferences/Audio will help a lot on older machines.

We're currently working on gathering and providing CPU usage information for each preset to indicate how "heavy" a preset is.

Daniel

dcease

Post by dcease » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:52 pm

you otta try the 'santoor's gold' construction kit... 8O that sumabitch eats my cpu for breakfast in the fourth scene :lol: sounds cool tho...

db

Post by db » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:29 pm

dcease wrote:you otta try the 'santoor's gold' construction kit... 8O that sumabitch eats my cpu for breakfast in the fourth scene :lol: sounds cool tho...
We were able to reduce the CPU in that particular Set to about half. One particular Instrument Rack had 3 parallel Operator chains, each of them with its own Reverb, which was causing most of the CPU usage. The next Beta Library will have various performance improvements.

Daniel

dcease

Post by dcease » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:21 am

db wrote:
dcease wrote:you otta try the 'santoor's gold' construction kit... 8O that sumabitch eats my cpu for breakfast in the fourth scene :lol: sounds cool tho...
We were able to reduce the CPU in that particular Set to about half. One particular Instrument Rack had 3 parallel Operator chains, each of them with its own Reverb, which was causing most of the CPU usage. The next Beta Library will have various performance improvements.

Daniel
very cool! thanks for the reply. what i have been thru has been pretty nice thus far, but i haven't delved in too deep just yet... lot's of new goodies to check out, and see if they play nice :) shaping up to be a smashing release 8)

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:25 am

db wrote: We're currently working on gathering and providing CPU usage information for each preset to indicate how "heavy" a preset is.
Sounds like a smart idea because the way I came across this is by loading the kit and playing a basic beat on the keys. If a beat can't be played on a drum kit without warning it would be off putting for a newcomer.