[frh] 8b10: corpus gain issue

scientist

[frh] 8b10: corpus gain issue

Post by scientist » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:54 am

i read up on the corpus information, and as i understand it the dry/wet knob comes before the processed signal in the signal chain, so will not gain/attenuate the processed signal. however, the gain knob information says that it will "gain or attenuate the level of the processed signal", but if you turn the decay up enough you can clearly hear that the cumulative resonance is not being reduced when turning the gain knob.

can someone clarify? at this point it seems that either the gain knob issue is a bug, or that both knobs are mislabeled and in the wrong place in the interface. imo the correct function should be similar to the filter delay.

scientist

Post by scientist » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:47 am

bump

Frank Hoffmann

Re: 8b10: corpus gain issue

Post by Frank Hoffmann » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:08 am

Let me explain how it works and the reason behind it.

The dry/wet control are set before the effect and not, as usual, behind it. The gain control is placed before the effect in the wet chain. Therefore your observation is correct. As long as you don't automate these parameters, you will find no difference.

We did this to allow the input signal to be shaped instead of the resonances. Corpus is an audio effect where you normal work with relative short resonances. An an audio effect you also want to work with loops. Think of a drum loop where you only want to add resonances to the snare drum. This can be easily done be automating the dry/wet control. And having the dry/wet before the effect allow all resonances to not be cut when the snare part of the loop is not sounding anymore. If you want to add different levels of resonances to different parts of the signal you can achieve this with the gain control. Again without influencing the volume of the other resonances still sounding.

Hope that explains it.
Frank Hoffmann
hoffmann@ableton.com

scientist

Re: [frh] 8b10: corpus gain issue

Post by scientist » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:24 pm

thanks frank, this is what i assumed. imo, it could use some layout adjustments or knob name changes to better reflect the actual signal flow, but i suppose that's a matter for feature requests.