CPU?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
matsimpson

CPU?

Post by matsimpson » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:37 pm

Hey, I just upgraded to Live 7 from 6, and I've noticed a huge rise in CPU usage. Running the same Live Set, (which is a DJ template made up of 7 audio tracks and 3 returns, with every track but one having an effects rack, and an effects rack on the master channel), in Live 6 Task Manager tells me that I'm using about 150-200,000 K of CPU. In 7, Task Manager says im using 350-400,000K (which it says is about 50% of CPU, even though Live's internal CPU monitor says only 15% or so). Is this an error? Or does Live 7 seriously double the CPU as a matter of course? I can't see myself using Live 7 to play live simply because it was so slow (playing one song in the aforementioned set, with no midi controllers or anything plugged in) that the music slowed and glitched when I changed a parameter on an effect..
I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad R61i with 2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo 1.5ghz, XP Professional.
Thanks

Gurulogic

Re: CPU?

Post by Gurulogic » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:59 am

Welcome to the great mystery of how Live's CPU distribution does and doesn't work...
The alternating tracks explanation tends to fall rather short from time to time..!

jameshkfr

Post by jameshkfr » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:57 am

I've got this problem too. A live set works fine in 6 but not in 7. CPU is double and jumping around from 10% to 30%. In 6 it stays around a constant 11%. I thought maybe it was my windows vista but i see your using XP so it can't be windows.

Can anyone help?

jameshkfr

Post by jameshkfr » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:31 pm

Just thought i'd post an update in case anyone searches this problem in the future...

After trying loads of things with no change I set the power on my laptop to "high performance". It works like a dream now. My laptop is far quicker and my basic ableton DJ setup runs around 10% CPU, even with 3 tracks playing.

This drains the battery far quicker but as i plug my laptop into the mains this is of no issue for me.