[bro] share : still uploads Session Drums samples. hugeness!

Angstrom

[bro] share : still uploads Session Drums samples. hugeness!

Post by Angstrom » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:44 pm

I thought this one had been fixed, but I notice that the session drums samples are still trying to upload themselves.

One small test set was 1604.6 MB (documents/1fa914878d68) (a canceled upload ! )
I removed the session drums and it became 7.7 MB (/documents/1f5e3e8aaa51)

Bernd

Re: share : still uploads Session Drums samples. hugeness!

Post by Bernd » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:44 am

About the size display

The size displayed on the server is the size of all files used by this Live Set no matter if the files belong to an Ableton Product or not or if they where uploaded with this file or with a previous Live Set.

About the session drums

The last post from Daniel about this topic

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 52#p861452

says 'Session Drums and Orchestral Collection will follow shortly.' so I guess they aren't uploaded yet.

Regards, Bernd.
Bernd Roggendorf
roggendorf@ableton.com

Angstrom

Re: share : still uploads Session Drums samples. hugeness!

Post by Angstrom » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:23 am

Hi Bernd,
Size
yes, I realise that the size displayed is the 'total' size, regardless of whether the content has uploaded by the user, or was already delivered by the 'central repository' . In this case it was the slowness of my upload status bar which tipped me off to the huge size of the upload I was undertaking.

About Session Drums
yes, I remembered Daniels post, but since that post I also remembered another beta-user reporting an upload that involved Session Drums and only took a few seconds. I assumed that the samples had been added to your central repository.

sorry, I see that they have not. My mistake.
I thought perhaps it was a versioning issue on the Session Drums LivePack, as the Beta Content has been updated a couple of times since Daniels post.

db

Re: [bro] share : still uploads Session Drums samples. hugeness!

Post by db » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:01 pm

Hi Angstrom,

actually all Sample Content except the OIC has been uploaded, including EIC, EIC LE, Session Drums Multimic, Session Drums Stereo Kits.

Best,
Daniel

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi Daniel,
in that case I will try uploading a set which only contains a SessionDrums pattern and I will report back in this thread how long it takes to upload. a 7mb set takes about 5 or 10 seconds to upload, so I'll compare that with a SessionDrums set

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:42 pm

yes, the upload was very quick this time (less than 2 minutes). So you are correct, it all seems to be working .
http://www.ableton.com/documents/1720faad836c

I must have been mistaken with the earlier test file. I'm not sure what happened there! Apologies.

Additional comment on "total size", and users' Usage rights
I'd like to make a suggestion about the misleadingly large file size displayed on the public listing. The total filesize is quite dissuasive when it is this large. EG : this example file is listed as 1630.2 MB

But, any user who has the rights to download and use those 1630.2 MB of samples probably already has them locally. So, only displaying the total is quite misleading. Users with rights would not really be downloading those samples (due to having them locally), while users without rights would not download those samples either (as I understand the system).

Can I suggest that the 'total' is broken up into categories,

Ableton Live set: (Session Drums Content: 1,550Mb , EIC Content : 1,995Mb, Other content : 7Mb) Total Size : 3,552Mb

That way a user who has Session Drums and EIC stored locally will be reassured that they are not really downloading 3 gigabytes of data , but in fact they are downloading 7Megabytes !

I think it would be quite beneficial, because seeing a file size of 3 gigabytes is quite off-putting for a potential downloader - and it's not really 'correct' as regards what authorised users will actually download.

PATS

Post by PATS » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:00 pm

Yes, maybe at least mentioning max and min download size would be great, as I share your concerns regarding the large MB size distracting from the download.

Just downloaded your set and added a bass line btw., smile. The upload was done in a minute or so..