Sound on Sound realtime loop recording: POSSIBLE?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Blood diVine

Sound on Sound realtime loop recording: POSSIBLE?

Post by Blood diVine » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:45 pm

just downloaded the demo and ready to get live. BUT. still a big question (a big need for live performance):

is it really possible to loop-record and listen to the just-recorded clip while recording a new one?

i mean you start recording a 4-measure-loop from cero, and after a while you got many clips playing simultaneously without stopping the record section.

like a sound on sound where you can listen to what you record as you keep recording more, in an endless realtime loop recording.

:?: IS IT POSSIBLE?

:?: IF YES, WHAT IS THE LIMIT?

:?: DOES IT RECORD ALL CLIPS IN A SINGLE TRACK, OR IN SEPARATE TRACKS?

Wow, i hope it's clear and thanks in advance!

diVine

an example:

Post by diVine » Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:13 pm

the idea is to emulate this toy:
http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/RC-20/demos.html

how can you do that on stage?
"Things are not what they seem,
Nor are they otherwise."
The Buddha.

Anubis

Re: Sound on Sound realtime loop recording: POSSIBLE?

Post by Anubis » Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:19 pm

Blood diVine wrote: is it really possible to loop-record and listen to the just-recorded clip while recording a new one?
I'm not a power user but I came accross a thread a while back that might help you or you could ask one of those guys.
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6161
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

logickal

Post by logickal » Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:14 pm

With the new routing features in v4, it's a simple matter to set up one track as input for whatever you want to loop (guitar, for instance.) Set up two additional audio tracks with their input set to resampling. You'll record one clip in the first slot, set it looping then record a second clip in the second slot. you could then bounce back over to the first track to record a third clip, etc. if you wanted to do this kind of looping while also using midi or audio that you wanted to remain seperate from your looped material, you'd have to delve a bit deeper into your routing secotion. One possibility would be to use a return track (without effects) and set your looping tracks to use the return as the source.
logickal - audioworks and sound design
Flight Dynamics - http://www.offnominal.com
MacBook 2.0Ghz, 2GBRAM, 100GB HD, M-Audio MobilePre USB
Remote 25 SL

diVine

loop settings in live

Post by diVine » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:47 pm

great, there's a lot to explore there.

what about this:
say you don't know how long the loop will be.
you start recording,
and at some point you trigger and set the loop end on the fly
(from a pedal switch or anything via midi).
is there a way to do that on v4?
Nor are they otherwise."
The Buddha.

SkeptikTank

Post by SkeptikTank » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:45 pm

If you are on a mac, augustus looper might be what you need. It emulates a hardware looper. http://www.collective.co.uk/expertsleepers/ Per Boysen, who is a frequent participant in this forum, specializes in live lopping. He used Augustus looper for a live Live performance the other week.

SkeptikTank
Hard: G5 2*2mhz, 2,5 mb, PB15 1,5MHZ, 1,5 mb, fw410, BCR2000, Korg mikrokontroll, GI20 midi guitar, variax500, Soft: osx 10.4.1: NI Komplete, Ohmforce complete, Pluggo,zebra, filterscape, etc

diVine

many on mac but what about pc

Post by diVine » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:50 am

Yes, there are indeed a few programs providing all requierements for polirhythms on Mac. But besides I'm not a mac user, it's pretty sad to find no proper software on PC.

I do believe all this could be done with v4, but maybe some latency problems would appear here since this aplication is made for a wider use.

Any suggestions for Pc users Tank?
Nor are they otherwise."
The Buddha.

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:53 pm

The Lexicon PSP 42 plug-in can also be used to overdub loops, sound-on-sound style. http://www.pspaudioware.com/

When run in Live all parameters can be addressed by midi pedals. The 42 emulates the legendary Lexicon delay unit that many still use for looping. It's an excellent effect plug-in as well. Available for both Mac and Windows.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

diVine

gotcha

Post by diVine » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:13 pm

Thanks everybody!
This forum is really helpful. Good people here.
I'll put it to work and come back to share the fruit.
Nor are they otherwise."
The Buddha.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:54 pm

You might want to try Elogoxa's ELOTTRONIX XL plugin. It's a freeware looper with up to 80 seconds of loop time!

Definately worth a look.

http://www.uv.es/%7Eruizcan/p_vst.htm

diVine

Post by diVine » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:56 am

To set the loop end in any of these pluggins, you got either a manual tempo/delay time or a tempo/delay synchronized with your host. but what about setting this loop end on the fly?

I came across the archaic Ambiloop aplication where you set the loop length to 60seconds for example, but if your improvisation completes after 10 seconds, you stop recording there (midi trigger) and the loop becomes a 10 seconds length instead of a 60 second one. this helps a lot on the fly, 'cos you are no longer depending on the beat.

Logickal: "Set up two additional audio tracks with their input set to resampling. You'll record one clip in the first slot, set it looping then record a second clip in the second slot. you could then bounce back over to the first track to record a third clip, etc." It still doesn't clarify this point of setting the loop length on the fly...

T4M (Thanks 4 this Moment 8O )
Nor are they otherwise."
The Buddha.

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:07 am

So far I know about two ways to set loop length on the fly while at the same time defining the global tempo:

1) OSX plug-in "Augustus Loop" (recent beta version).
2) Hardware looping sampler "Gibson Echoplex".

I'm using both techniques with Live 4. However the Augustus Loop is yet in beta version and the tempo sync master function is new. It's unfortunately not avaiable for Windows either.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen

Machinate

TempoSync master?

Post by Machinate » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:59 am

Does the tempo sync master work in Live?

Anyway, I really like the ElottronicXL plugin, I use it on a return track, and send it back to another track for sampling. Its only shortcoming is the slightly fiddly way of clearing/emptying the loop - it requires either two controllers or two mouseclicks, which shouldn't be much of a problem with a programmable pedalboard like the fcb1010.

For more basic stuff I have set up 4 tracks and just record alternating through those tracks, all outs sent to a fifth track for resampling.

Andreas
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Per Boysen

Re: TempoSync master?

Post by Per Boysen » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:52 am

Machinate wrote:Does the tempo sync master work in Live?
yes, I just did it now with the Augustus Loop beta. Live starts as soon as you stop recording the first loop in Augustus (using "Tap Record"). Then, when you're up to speed you can keep on overdub recording to layer loops in Augustus. Or you can freeze the Augustus loop and de-tune it one or two octaves or kick it inito reverse.

I was also able to open more instances of Augustus Loops on other fx send tracks. But these have to be set to "Host Clock" to follow the global tempo. On these "slaved" Augustus Loopers the Triplet button provides a cool way to create polyrhytmic beats.

My next project will be to set up Live 4 on a powerbook with many Augustus Loopers and address them from a FCB1010 foot pedal board for multi-track real-time looping. Takes some time to program the FCB.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen

Machinate

Re: TempoSync master?

Post by Machinate » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:43 pm

Per Boysen wrote:My next project will be to set up Live 4 on a powerbook with many Augustus Loopers and address them from a FCB1010 foot pedal board for multi-track real-time looping. Takes some time to program the FCB.
Tell me about it! (but they're cheap: like 159 euros?!?) I have mine set up to send midi note-ons from note number fifty and up. I love the fact that no controller values are hardwired in live, that makes programming controllers that much easier.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.