Live 8.0.1 - occasional buffer hickup (not often)

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Nokatus

Live 8.0.1 - occasional buffer hickup (not often)

Post by Nokatus » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:30 am

8.0.1 is working very well here, overall. The most noticeable bug I have come across is a slight buffer stutter glitch, very much like the software hanging and the output buffer "microlooping" for a fraction of a second and then continuing without a problem.

This happens only a few times a day, and it doesn't seem to depend on any particular instrument or effect, or the complexity of the set. (I once got it with just the vocoder and two samples loaded.)

I am sure there are no interfering processes in the background which would suddenly occupy resources for a short while. I installed Live 8 Suite on a completely new system installation, fresh WinXP Pro SP3 with the latest drivers for my E-MU 0404, and everything unnecessary disabled (network hardware/services, ports I don't need, etc). Live 7 didn't exhibit these glitches with the same hardware and installation procedure. [Edit: Although I didn't try this with 7.0.15, but went straight to 8.0.1 after 7.0.14. Hmmmmm.]

Is anyone else hearing such things? Don't get me wrong, they are a very minor annoyance. I'd just like to know if there's something wrong in my system only.
Last edited by Nokatus on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foxymethoxy

Re: Live 8.0.1 - occasional buffer hickup (not often)

Post by foxymethoxy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:45 pm

Nokatus wrote:8.0.1 is working very well here, overall. The most noticeable bug I have come across is a slight buffer stutter glitch, very much like the software hanging and the output buffer "microlooping" for a fraction of a second and then continuing without a problem.

This happens only a few times a day, and it doesn't seem to depend on any particular instrument or effect, or the complexity of the set. (I once got it with just the vocoder and two samples loaded.)

I am sure there are no interfering processes in the background which would suddenly occupy resources for a short while. I installed Live 8 Suite on a completely new system installation, fresh WinXP Pro SP3 with the latest drivers for my E-MU 0404, and everything unnecessary disabled (network hardware/services, ports I don't need, etc). Live 7 didn't exhibit these glitches with the same hardware and installation procedure.

Is anyone else hearing such things? Don't get me wrong, they are a very minor annoyance. I'd just like to know if there's something wrong in my system only.
+1

I just made a post similar to this one. Is there any particular activity you are doing when this occurs? Mine occurs anytime I launch a clip or adjust tempo. It's just a tiny little stutter but it is certainly noticeable.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:28 pm

It didn't seem to depend on any particular action on my system. I think...

It MIGHT be that the glitch occurred a short time after starting playback, but I'm not sure. I'll keep an ear on it.

Anyway, as your post shows, even though this really isn't such a big deal when producing, it can be highly irritating if it happens during a live set.

gavinwhiteley

Post by gavinwhiteley » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:30 pm

Hmm, sounds familiar. Could it be this?

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=111313
Ableton Certified Trainer
Cirque du Soleil - Las Vegas, NV

Mac OS 10.5 MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM / Win XP 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4GB RAM
RME HDSPe MADI & MADIface

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:36 pm

gavinwhiteley wrote:Hmm, sounds familiar. Could it be this?

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=111313
Possibly, yes. But this...
gavinwhiteley wrote:It takes a lot of tracks to amplify the problem enough to be clearly audible.
...tells me it's at least manifesting differently if it's related. The issue I'm hearing is clearly audible when it occurs, no matter how simple the set is.

purplenoise

Post by purplenoise » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:38 am

I have seen something that may be similar. With a simple set (just the vocoder and a synth) so it does not depend on project complexity. But for me it was not a momentary glitch, audio became glitchy and remained that way for several seconds at a time, in a couple of cases until a restart of live.

The sound was also slower, as if live was processing buffers slower than realtime.

For me it happened while using my Novation keyboard and audio IO (X-station) but it has not happened with my indigo... Haven't used it that many hours to tell if it is connected to the novation.

The novation worked great with live 7, so I don't think the setup is faulty, though it may be a factor in reproducing the issue.

-Aurelio

purplenoise

Post by purplenoise » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:41 am

I wonder if the issue is likely to happen with sessions with a lot of UI activity.... I have seen reports including the vocoder, and I saw it on a session of mine with many "follow action" clips, lots of blinking on the screen, although not much audio processing happening..... could it be a case of thread priority inversion due to blocking...??

-Aurelio

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:33 am

purplenoise wrote:I wonder if the issue is likely to happen with sessions with a lot of UI activity.... I have seen reports including the vocoder, and I saw it on a session of mine with many "follow action" clips, lots of blinking on the screen
That sounds plausible, yeah; it's interesting that you are also specifically mentioning Vocoder in an otherwise very light set.

raapie

Post by raapie » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:25 am

happens with the performance test files on 8.01 every time and NOT under Live 7.
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com