suite 8 is sluggish

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TRS80

suite 8 is sluggish

Post by TRS80 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:23 am

Just messing around with a single warped house track and dragging some midi clips into arrangement view and....

- I see the mac spinning wheel every time I try and drag in a clip
- the program hangs
- with 1 audio track playing and 5 midi clips the orange D (disk) light comes on, processor bar jumps to 50%
- try to duplicate a midi track and get the wheel again

it didn't crash, but the audio staggered.

this never happened back with 7. i don't see how anyone could confidently use live 8 yet.

this program is anything but quick and responsive. I hope they iron this out soon cause this isn't fun. boooo.
Ableton Suite 8.2.2 suite; OS 10.6.7

elxicano

Re: suite 8 is sluggish

Post by elxicano » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:39 am

Funny, I don't have that problem... 8 runs faster and smoother than 7 for me.

PC, XP SP3, 32

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:59 am

Yeah, I was just talking about teh sluggish in the thread about vocoder...I saw the disk overload phenomenon when I was working a couple nights ago. I've taken to freezing tracks to get by, something I'd only have to pull out in the 12+ track nightmare zone with 7. It's more like 6 tracks with v.8. You might be able to cure some of the slowness messing around with the buffers, but I haven't been able to cure it that way completely.

TRS80

Post by TRS80 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:02 am

yeah, i will get to tweakin' i was just surprised, cause 7 was quick right out of the box.

on the flipside, i love many of the sounds, esp right now the operator.

but god i hate tweaking; and anyways i have a feeling it's the newness of the software build...

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:29 am

Define MIDI tracks.

What exactly are these MIDI tracks doing, are they routed to 3rd party vst/au instruments or Live's own devices (i.e. Sampler, Tension, Operator etc).

I haven't upgraded yet, but during the beta there wasn't a huge difference between 7 and 8 Suite, except mostly Corpus and Collision which were pretty CPU heavy at that point- the vocoder didn't seem that bad to me.

Track freezing is almost inevitable anyway, especially on dual core or single core machines and especially laptops. A quad or octacore desktop gives you a lot more control.

Hopefully an update will provide some improvements, but I don't think you're going to see a MASSIVE amount of difference. Also think - did something else get ttweaked? Did speedstepping get turned back on, did some driver update affect anything, is wireless internet get turned on. Also thinks such as - is your power supply working properly - a faulty AC adapter caused a huge performance loss for me recently, the full power wasn;t being delivered and turned my P4 3.2 Ghz pentium 4 computer into a pentium 3 800 in terms of performance. I only noticed it with Live though !! New power supply, cooking with gas again ...
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:40 am

Maybe someone else with 8 (for Mac) can post if 8 is LESS sluggish than 7? I find it hard to imagine that I'm the only one that has had a better experience with 8 than 7.

Yes Corpus and Collision cause major spikes in CPU. I had repeatedly posted about that in beta testing. That has been my only negative experience with 8... this much I understand that I am one of the few, as Live 8 has only crashed once, which I believe is the result of bad software coding for a demo, but not faults of Live.

I never had any problem with the vocoder, but it would make sense that the CPU demands depend on what you're using as your carrier.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:45 am

How much free space do you have on your hard drive.

Have you opened 7 back up and checked if it has more snappiness?

Live 8 is running amazing for me, with the exception of this weird memory issue I'm having. That doesn't affect performance, and Live 8 generally runs extremely well, and the CPU usage is quite low, and I put all my clips on complex pro as well.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:47 am

sparklepuff wrote:How much free space do you have on your hard drive.

Have you opened 7 back up and checked if it has more snappiness?

Live 8 is running amazing for me, with the exception of this weird memory issue I'm having. That doesn't affect performance, and Live 8 generally runs extremely well, and the CPU usage is quite low, and I put all my clips on complex pro as well.
Seriously nice specs on your mac! :) I'd be very concerned if you were having performance issues with Live.

For the time being, I have very modest specs, but still have a very smooth experience with 8.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:57 am

Yeah, thanks, it certainly helps for troubleshooting. Can't ever really blame lack of quality hardware on any problems that arise, so I know to look elsewhere.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:02 am

sparklepuff wrote:Yeah, thanks, it certainly helps for troubleshooting. Can't ever really blame lack of quality hardware on any problems that arise, so I know to look elsewhere.

I think I hear one of those MasterCard commercials coming on, ending in... "Priceless" :wink:

No, seriously that's a great setup and it certainly beats the the worry of troubleshooting hardware (which has been my issue sometimes, but thankfully not with Live8 ).

TRS80

Post by TRS80 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:16 am

sparklepuff, my jaw hit the floor when I read your sig. doesn't get any better than that!

So, here is some detail about my setup and the particular live session that's causing my laptop to crawl.

2 audio tracks
- 1 is a full length remix, warped.
- the other is a 8 bar loop. A sample that came with Suite 8.

7 MIDI tracks
- operator
- Kit-909 Classic
- Kit-D55 Klondike
- LP (Latin Percussion) Funk 1; duplicated 2x for a total of 3
- Latin Percussion Kit-A

The MIDI data isn't dense; simple loops; no automation; none are routed through 3rd party plug-ins, they're only using the instruments that come with suite, as listed above.

Maybe these instruments are putting a strain on my 2 GB of RAM, but that would be a surprise as this doesn't seem like a lot of things going on and I'm running with the recommended amount of RAM for Suite 8.

Here's an overview of the session...

Audio Prefs...

File Folder Prefs...

CPU Prefs...

I saw in Prefs that I was 'logged in' so just now I logged out.

Activity monitor tells me that Live is using 32% of the CPU; as it idles while this project is open.

It also tells me that a process called "WindowServer" is using 45% of the CPU. I haven't noticed this process before and am wondering if it has something to do with Live? When I quit Live, this "Window Server" uses only 10% of the CPU. It must have something to do with Live, but what? And can I disable it? I don't need Live to talk to the net, except for when I need to authorize or update.

I have 2 Gigs of RAM, a 232GB hard drive (77 gigs in use and 154 gigs free).

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:24 am

live 8 suite is pretty darn slow for me too. Seems to be something wrong with either it or my computer. but everything else seems fine . bah.

this is on a pc by the way, on my mabook it runs the same as live 7
Last edited by Emissary on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

m:o

Post by m:o » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:29 am

Live 8 runs absolute smooth for me....except when i load
Latin Percussion it get's real slow and sluggish.
when i load a sample kit with a similar data amount there's
no problem.

some users reported the same thing...

Bonehead

Post by Bonehead » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:46 am

Live 8 is definitely sluggish. :cry: Running a full mix, it even crashed several times. I'm on Leopard with 4GB RAM. It's especially sluggish when you are loading something or dragging files.

barstu

Post by barstu » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:31 am

I think WindowServer is a native OSX task. Whenever my Mac grinds to a halt (which is very rare) that seems to be near the top of Activity Monitor.