exchanging original MBP for new unibody model

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nit

exchanging original MBP for new unibody model

Post by nit » Mon May 04, 2009 10:52 pm

since my MBP had three repairs in the last 3 months and now has a fourth issue, apple offered me a replacement. the problem is that the only thing they can offer me is the new unibody model and since it is a new model i'm afraid for issues they did not yet cover.
what ar you guys thoughts on this? is it safe to take the new model? are their issues?
when i play live i use live 7, max5, 2 usb controllers and saitek flight controllers (on a usb hub) and a firewire 400 audio interface at once. anyone having problems with setups like this?
and the fw 800 is fully backwards comatible right?

oblique strategies

Re: exchanging original MBP for new unibody model

Post by oblique strategies » Tue May 05, 2009 12:06 am

Don't know about any issues (aren't there always issues?), but you're stuck with a glossy screen. One of the main reasons I bought the model before the recent unibody stylee.

What were the nature of the problems you've had with you MBP?

nit

Post by nit » Tue May 05, 2009 11:50 am

at first there were vague white kind of smoke like spots coming from the bottom of the screen. when i took it home after the reperation of that my fans started running way too fast and after that my keyboard lightning stopped working. they fixed it all and after the third reperation apple promised me that if there was something wrong within the next six months they would replace it (i made a complain at customer relations about my MBP being cursed or something and wanting it to be replaced). so last week i discovered the first problem i had was coming back in the new display they gave me.(it is probably a cursed MBP) so they kept their word and if want to they are going to pick this one up and send in a new one within a couple of days.

jj0b

Post by jj0b » Tue May 05, 2009 7:12 pm

Dude, absolutely take a new unibody one if they are offering it. The build quality is so much better which is especially important if you are using it for performances. Yes the screen is glossy, but it is a better machine, faster CPU, bigger hard drive, faster GPU. Just my 2c.
http://www.musicalgeometry.com
Live 8.2.6
MBP OSX 10.7.2
2 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
RME Fireface UFX

jeffplaysmoog

Post by jeffplaysmoog » Tue May 05, 2009 7:31 pm

Yeah, do it, no question.
Mac Book Pro 2.33ghz, 2gig Ram, OS 10.5, Ableton Live 8 Suite, APC40

WidowTwanky

Post by WidowTwanky » Tue May 05, 2009 7:52 pm

...Or, if you really don't want the unibody, send it to me, and I'll let you have my 2.4 MBP in exchange ;)

Tom Void

Post by Tom Void » Tue May 05, 2009 8:09 pm

One more +1 on this! I recieved my new 17" unibody two weeks ago. It's configured extra with the matte screen option and a 7200RPM drive, and it's been blazing like a rocket on anything I throw at it.

Setup is Live 8, RME Fireface 400 (using a FW800 -> FW400 converter cable without any problems at all!), a RemoteSL Zero and a generic 25Key Midikeyboard. You should grab that offer pronto-presto!

GrooveNinja

Post by GrooveNinja » Tue May 05, 2009 8:31 pm

I just got a new unibody a couple of weeks ago, too, and it is a beast. I have set up my whole studio on it and have not had a single problem.

continuous

Post by continuous » Tue May 05, 2009 8:37 pm

I had the same thing happen a few years ago with my 17 inch Powerbook. Had a total lemon which they finally replaced. Def get the new one... maybe they'll let you upgrade to a matte screen if that's an issue for you.

I really prefer the matte myself but I know it's subjective.

Enjoy your new machine!