M-audio Axiom Pro 25 & Live 8: Anyone have this?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
elxicano

M-audio Axiom Pro 25 & Live 8: Anyone have this?

Post by elxicano » Thu May 07, 2009 12:35 am

I'm in the process of shopping prices for a decent portable set up and right now I'm looking at 25 key midi-controllers.

This one stands out pretty nicely, just by reading the specs, but I was wondering if anyone has used this with Live and of course how easily it was to integrate with Live's features.

I also wanted to know if someone can comment on the feel of the keys, since these are supposed to be different than the previous version.

SO.... Anyone got one?

QNJ

Re: M-audio Axiom Pro 25 & Live 8: Anyone have this?

Post by QNJ » Thu May 07, 2009 1:22 am

I have a M-audio Axiom 25(not pro) and use live 7 and I LOVE IT!. Nice and portable, all i had to do was plug it up and it synced with live. Just went 2 options and selected axiom 25.FEELS GREAT LOOKS GREAT TOO got it off amazon only paid $159.

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Thu May 07, 2009 1:33 am

@QNJ... sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but how does this fit into a backpack? Or if not a backpack how do you transport it?

I'll look back on the M-audio page for dimensions, but was just curious if you have any experience with this and if it feels heavy, bulky, etc...

MetalCube

Post by MetalCube » Thu May 07, 2009 2:25 am

elxicano wrote:@QNJ... sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but how does this fit into a backpack? Or if not a backpack how do you transport it?

I'll look back on the M-audio page for dimensions, but was just curious if you have any experience with this and if it feels heavy, bulky, etc...
Its not bulky per say... It feels more sturdy than anything. The backpack thing... not so much. Its just 2 inches two long for a normal backpack... Im looking into just a gig bag to solve that dilemma.

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Thu May 07, 2009 2:42 am

MetalCube wrote:
elxicano wrote:@QNJ... sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but how does this fit into a backpack? Or if not a backpack how do you transport it?

Its not bulky per say... It feels more sturdy than anything. The backpack thing... not so much. Its just 2 inches two long for a normal backpack... Im looking into just a gig bag to solve that dilemma.

If you find one that works, would you mind posting a link, or just including the brand name or something?

So far I'm really leaning to pick up the Axiom Pro. It's pretty pricey for just 25 keys, but it looks rock solid and I like what I've read about the feel of the keys and key response. If I do get it, then transportation will be my dilemma too.

donnydonny

Post by donnydonny » Thu May 07, 2009 5:17 am

The Axiom Pro is SUPER easy to set up. You just set it up in the MIDI Sync menu, load up the Ableton preset, and voila... it controls everything. There's no other controls that you need to program or anything. It's already programmed to be mapped to everything and anything you load into Live (or any other supported DAW).
Macbook Pro 2.16GHz, 3GB, OS X 10.6.2, Live 7.0.18 (Triceratopz), Torq 1.5.2, M-Audio Xponent, Access Virus TI Polar, Trigger Finger

jamester

Post by jamester » Thu May 07, 2009 5:23 am

I've got the regular Axiom 25, I've gotten it to work with everything except the Rack Macro controls. The keys are fantastic, I can't imagine how they've been improved for the Pro (and hadn't heard that they were).
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

sacredgeometry

Post by sacredgeometry » Thu May 07, 2009 5:58 am

axiom 25 here works great, not as sophisticated as some other offerings like novations remote sl but its defiantly a goodun, mine did go on the wonk but i sent it back to the supplier (now because of this my main source for music hardware etc) and by luck they where meeting with people at m-audio to discuss products etc and they repaired it for free for me....which is what they should have done to be honest seeing it hadnt moved in a year and still had the plastic bit over the led haha

i have heard that m-audio dont like gigs much caus of the ehat and condensation but then i have heard the opposite and have seen many people using them live even big names so its all a matter of situation i suppose.

Peace

brian
Peace + Hugs

Brian

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Thu May 07, 2009 6:00 am

jamester wrote:I've got the regular Axiom 25, I've gotten it to work with everything except the Rack Macro controls. The keys are fantastic, I can't imagine how they've been improved for the Pro (and hadn't heard that they were).
It's supposed to have a new keybed. I was reading some reviews comparing the Axiom Pro 49/61 to the Axiom and the reviews said the keys were better and the rubber pads were more responsive. It was also mentioned that this one eliminates the Enigma library, which I hated using with the Trigger Finger (I've replaced this w/a padKontrol).

I can't find anything on their website explicitly saying it's a new keybed, but on the Axiom Pro, it's called "TruTouch semi-weighted, piano-style, professional-action keybed" and this is not the same description for the Axiom.

Now, how much of a difference, I would not be able to tell you (the main reason for the thread :wink: ) but I'm just trying to bury my head in reviews and everything else before pulling the trigger and purchasing this one.

I've been using a CME UF80 and this is definitely not portable (60 pound/ 27.4kg beast) and it will probably be in storage for the next 6 months to a year while I get situated in NY. Anyways... shorter version of a long story... I just want to get as close as possible to decent feeling keys in a portable size.

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Thu May 07, 2009 6:03 am

sacredgeometry wrote:axiom 25 here works great, not as sophisticated as some other offerings like novations remote sl but its defiantly a goodun, mine did go on the wonk but i sent it back to the supplier (now because of this my main source for music hardware etc) and by luck they where meeting with people at m-audio to discuss products etc and they repaired it for free for me....which is what they should have done to be honest seeing it hadnt moved in a year and still had the plastic bit over the led haha

i have heard that m-audio dont like gigs much caus of the ehat and condensation but then i have heard the opposite and have seen many people using them live even big names so its all a matter of situation i suppose.

Peace

brian
For freeeeee? (sorry you have to picture Adam Sandler in Bedtime Stories). That's amazing luck there. I've had my share of failed hardware and definitely none of your luck! :evil:

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu May 07, 2009 8:28 am

How are the knobs on the Pro version? I have the regular Axiom 61, and the way the knobs work in
Live is just moronic; it's impossible to make e.g. a proper filter sweep (0-127) with them - you
simply have to let go of the knob, and make a new grip in order to complete the sweep. This does
not have anything to do with the knobs physically, but how they interact with Live specifically.
In Reason, there's no problem.

QNJ

Post by QNJ » Thu May 07, 2009 2:16 pm

Im a beginner and my m-audio axiom 25 is great for me. Wont fit in a standard backpack but i recommend a duffle bag.

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Thu May 07, 2009 4:08 pm

QNJ wrote:Im a beginner and my m-audio axiom 25 is great for me. Wont fit in a standard backpack but i recommend a duffle bag.
Beginner or not, it looks you made a good choice from all that I'm reading with reviews and such. Even if you buy another larger midi controller, the 25 key controller will definitely have use.

Good to know about the back pack... I'm looking now at Gig Skinz, but am not liking those prices, so a duffle bag just might be what's needed.

QNJ

Post by QNJ » Thu May 07, 2009 6:30 pm

yeah i read alot of reviews online before buying anything especially my music stuff

Brian Park

Post by Brian Park » Thu May 07, 2009 7:15 pm

My regular Axiom 25 fits in my backpack. It's a little bigger than most though.

Also, I'm not a fan of the endless encoders they used, I'd much prefer standard rotaries.