OT: Martial Arts - My new Keep Fit

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gjm

OT: Martial Arts - My new Keep Fit

Post by gjm » Sat May 16, 2009 10:51 pm

I have been looking for something for a couple years to fit my routine in order to keep fit and 'check out' for a few hours a week. I have 20 years of football/soccer, 15 years actively surfing, 3 years Ice Hockey, 2 years multisports (biathalons) but nothing for the last 6 years. I've tried distance running, bike riding road/trail, snowboarding, skiing. Either life circumstances, lack of money, or generally not being able to really 'connect' to the sport has left me without a focus, and generally restless.

However, 2 months ago, my oldest son (nearly 15) started Tai-Kwon-Do. He quickly asked me to join him, which I reluctantly did. WOW. Finally I've found something to sink my teeth in to. It provides for me the necessary intellectual focus and the great strength, tone, muscle memory, heart pumping physical work outs I've been looking for.

Learning the necessary techniques for belt grading is cool. There is a whole lot of body awareness going on, posture, movement, power etc. Then there is the sparing. On with the gloves, in with the mouth guard and its all on!! I find this particularly exhilirating. There are a few older guys there like me, little out of shape and slow. The younger guys, full of thoughts of dominance, get stuck into you to show you who is boss. In this controlled environment, its a rush I've not had for a long time, going toe to toe (respectfully) with someone. It requires total focus. I am not left with opportunities for my mind to wander away. I come home utterly wasted, sore, and a bit sorry for myself. But I feel refreshed, relaxed and fantastic. I also get to chill with my boy after the sessions while eating food and generally yapping about shit.

Anyone else 'fight' for fitness? Please share.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

paradiddle

Re: OT: Martial Arts - My new Keep Fit

Post by paradiddle » Sun May 17, 2009 2:11 am

Yup, I did pentjak silat and hung gar kung-fu a long time ago. I was thinking of brazilian ju-jitsu or muay thai recently but I'm not sure yet.

Martial arts are very good for the mind and the body.

mazmith

Post by mazmith » Sun May 17, 2009 2:40 am

bjj!!!!! amazing.
ASUS GL553VE- i7 2.81gHz 32gb RAM Win10 64 bit Live 10 standard
Behringer X32, Microlite 5x5, midisport 4x4, APC40
Deluge, Beatstep Pro, keystep, SQ-1
Voyager, Prophet 6, JX-3P, JX-8P, BSII, Minibrute, MB33, Eurorack
DRM1, TR-505, HR-16, Rhythm Wolf, RX15

Tohtruck

Post by Tohtruck » Sun May 17, 2009 4:22 am

I knew there had to be other fellow martial artists on this forum.

Hell yeah! It's a great way to escape all the stress and bull crap of real life. And it's a great way to keep in shape because you pretty much have to be in good shape to beat someone up otherwise you're gonna get your ass kicked.

Did Tae Kwon Do when I was in elementary school.

Trained Hung Ga Kung Fu and San Shou kickboxing when I was in high school. Also dabbled in submissions and grappling here n there.

Started training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and some wrestling in college. Then I started training at a Mixed Martial Arts gym midway and towards the end of college. Unfortunately I've taken the past couple of months off due to lack of steady income and so I can focus on internships and figuring out a career.

I've been having a hankering and plan on going back soon.

It really is kind of an addiction. Once you get bit by the bug you're gonna be martial artist for life. But then no other sports ever made any sense to me except combat sports.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sun May 17, 2009 4:26 pm

I've been doing japanese martial arts (mostly judo & jiu-jitsu) since I was 10. I'm a jiu-jitsu brown belt. It's great fun! Although I haven't been training since a few years back. Having a hard time fitting excercise into the work-family schedule. Now it's all about cycling and running. No classes you have to schedule. Just put on your tights and out you go!

Martial arts are great fun, though.

.m

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Mon May 18, 2009 12:05 am

I have boxed on and off for a while now and wrestled in school. I sparred for the first time in a year last week and had a blast. Man Im out of shape!! I took tae kwan do when I was a kid and was immediately turned off by all the stopping and starting of it but enjoyed breaking boards. If you get board try a couple of months of american boxing.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Mon May 18, 2009 9:20 am

paradiddle wrote:Yup, I did pentjak silat and hung gar kung-fu a long time ago. I was thinking of brazilian ju-jitsu or muay thai recently but I'm not sure yet.

Martial arts are very good for the mind and the body.
I been doing Muay Thai for a few months now, twice a week.. though i want to up it to 3 times. Once a week just was going to slow and doing it twice you feel like your missing out when other train for other days. It's very intense workout and am permanantly covered in bruises, but it's very enjoyable and gets you very fit very quickly due to it's intensity. Not been sparring yet... But loving all the pad work and conditioning drills.

gjm

Post by gjm » Mon May 18, 2009 9:55 am

I had a training session earlier this evening. I was a bit worried about the soles of my feet. Last session we were learning spin kicks and I wore big layers of skin off the balls of my feet. No blisters, just tender patches. All good tonight though.

One of the reasons I took it up was to counteract all the daily muscle work I do with the guitar and the mouse. I have been getting some pain, and general stiffening. I'm looking to the stretching and different range of movements to bring some relief. Get my suit next week and my first grading will be in August. Bring it on!!
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

hangar17

Post by hangar17 » Mon May 18, 2009 10:16 am

i do abit of boxing too to keep in shape
and i did abit of silat too when i was a kid but didn't stick around it for long
I fell down the musical stairs at the science museum.
It went like : C F# B D Ab A#5 E D B A THUD!

we are airfields
this is hangar 17

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Mon May 18, 2009 10:48 am

gjm wrote:
One of the reasons I took it up was to counteract all the daily muscle work I do with the guitar and the mouse. I have been getting some pain, and general stiffening. I'm looking to the stretching and different range of movements to bring some relief.
I been experiencing this in my back and hips. It's really annoying that i'm doing all this exercise and got myself pretty fit yet i hobble about like an old man. We do warm ups and proper stretches too so i dunno why i get this. I guess it must be doing the exercise then sitting in a chair for 8 hours a day in between.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon May 18, 2009 11:03 am

I'm sweating just reading this post...good on you fellows for doing it. I'll stick to ..errr....wii fit for a while I think. :oops:

the spirograph crew

Post by the spirograph crew » Mon May 18, 2009 11:15 am

Looking to start training in some sort of martial arts soon, haven't done any fitness for time, thinking of mixed martial arts if i can find a place in south manchester.

although not big on violence i do enjoy a bit of UFC those guys are sick!! im such a hypocrite :oops:
A PIECE OF SHIT HAS A THOUSAND EYES.

majais

Post by majais » Mon May 18, 2009 11:25 am

I enjoy my Tai Chi class every friday for many years already with a chinese master who is almost double my age and stronger than any of the students.
It is not so much about peaceful relaxed movement, if you learn the application of the moves, instead it's nasty fighting... (break the elbow, fingers in the eyes, kick in the groin and so forth)
The other week he said the most beautiful thing I've heard in a long a while: " If there is no feeling on the inside (Ying) the movement is not true" I find this remark fitting for anything including any art-form.
Computer & Live 8 Suite

mazmith

Post by mazmith » Mon May 18, 2009 1:54 pm

hey maja, is it tai chi chuan your taking? or another style? i went to world tai chi day in central park a few years back and got to do some "push hands" with some world champions. needless to say, in seconds they could be spinning me like pizza dough. for the most part, they just showed me what i was doing right/wrong with a lil bit of scrapping me. the experience was one i will always remember. i also found a weed plant growing in the middle of the park, about half a foot. 8O lmao. i would love to get back into tai chi chuan, but $$$$$$. :( i can still practice at the house, it's just nice to get those automatic corrections to stance and technique.
ASUS GL553VE- i7 2.81gHz 32gb RAM Win10 64 bit Live 10 standard
Behringer X32, Microlite 5x5, midisport 4x4, APC40
Deluge, Beatstep Pro, keystep, SQ-1
Voyager, Prophet 6, JX-3P, JX-8P, BSII, Minibrute, MB33, Eurorack
DRM1, TR-505, HR-16, Rhythm Wolf, RX15

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon May 18, 2009 3:02 pm

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x