Why isTraktor becoming the standard for djing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
disco judas

Re: Why isTraktor becoming the standard for djing

Post by disco judas » Sat May 30, 2009 8:07 am

Jordan Vesteyo wrote:I both Traktor Pro and Live 8 (since 4) and have used Traktor (since 2). I like Traktor for the Looping and the DJ focused workflow. HOWEVER. Live allows me a completely different take on "DJing" It blurs the lines between live performance and DJing. After 20 years behind the decks Live offers me more choices. It has pulled me away from Logic for production, which I have used since 1996 and Traktor for DJing. I software multiple workflows. If I am playing a long set 3-5 hours I would love my macbook running tracktor using timecode vinyl and Live synced on my MBPro...... but for mow I will be exploring the APC40 and LIve.

Sounds cool,

So, I can have a setup in Traktor of 4 1210s (I have them already), and using timecode also to sync another laptop running Live?

Serato are not cabable of this no?

Toro del Funk

Post by Toro del Funk » Sat May 30, 2009 8:31 am

I use traktor on my Mac along with my Xone 4d. T Pro is a big improvement over 3 with a much tighter interface. One day I will experiment with Live for DJ'ing though.
http://www.torodelfunk.com
http://www.twitter.com/torodelfunk
http://www.soundcloud.com/torodelfunk

MacBook | Allen & Heath Xone 4D | Traktor | Ableton Live 8 | Sylenth1 | Arturia Minimoog V2 | DCAM Synth Squad

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat May 30, 2009 1:24 pm

beats me wrote:
Serato is for old vinyl DJs that can't let it go...
+1, that is why i don't like it that much, i actually really dislike all the conservative DJ-ing / vinyl... thing... to me it got so far that i want to go straight home when i see dusty vinyl in a club and a guy behind it feeling cool because he still uses the dinosaur crap and needs 3 minutes to beatmatch and thinks it's an art form, it bores the shit out of me, give me digital any day. traktor rules.

but yeah i am really excited about the serato / ableton partnership, i just hope that they are radical enough to fuck all that control vinyl / CD business no one needs anymore... i'd rather see a progressive midi control without any damn platter or anything trying to emulate the way we used to do this!!!. something that turns around in circles while DJ-ing in 2009 should be forbidden.

my point of view! be more radical!
*** Image GAFM ***

trevorc

Post by trevorc » Sat May 30, 2009 2:41 pm

drewbixcube wrote: Double click on a clip, enter MIDI map mode, and assign MIDI control to Loop, Position "Set", and Length "Set". The downside to this method is that the mappings are global, meaning they apply to all clips. Therefore, with this method, it is impossible to loop one track while another track is playing (i.e. they'll both loop). Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much interest in changing this behavior: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=108117
your looping instructions are correct but the mapping is only global in that you don't have to remap for every clip. only the clip/channel which is highlighted and playing will loop, clips playing in other channels won't. map midi/keyboard buttons to highlight each channel and you're set.

o0o

Post by o0o » Sat May 30, 2009 5:34 pm

SubFunk wrote:beats me wrote:
Serato is for old vinyl DJs that can't let it go...
+1, that is why i don't like it that much, i actually really dislike all the conservative DJ-ing / vinyl... thing... to me it got so far that i want to go straight home when i see dusty vinyl in a club and a guy behind it feeling cool because he still uses the dinosaur crap and needs 3 minutes to beatmatch and thinks it's an art form, it bores the shit out of me, give me digital any day. traktor rules.

but yeah i am really excited about the serato / ableton partnership, i just hope that they are radical enough to fuck all that control vinyl / CD business no one needs anymore... i'd rather see a progressive midi control without any damn platter or anything trying to emulate the way we used to do this!!!. something that turns around in circles while DJ-ing in 2009 should be forbidden.

my point of view! be more radical!
I like the piano. :|
rabbit

o0o

Post by o0o » Sat May 30, 2009 5:37 pm

willdahbe wrote:
ajargy wrote:
ChiDJ wrote:I prefer Traktor because of the looping capabalities and easy browser.
I have been using Traktor for almost a year now and the simplicity of live looping is unmatchable. I just got Ableton Live 8 about a month ago and I'm curious - Is there any way to create loops on the fly in Live? I haven't been able to figure this out yet...
another way do do 1bar live looping really easy is to use beat repeat. settings are as described for dj type mixing/effects

Interval: 1/8th
Offset: usually at 0 for normalcy, but can be moved about for more interesting effects
Grid: set to 1 bar for 1 bar loop, 1/2 for half bar loop etc.. (map to a knob for realtime fills and whatnot) maybe put some filters mapped to the same knob for more dramatic tweaks.
Variation: set to zero. screw some randomness, i want total control.
Repeat: turned on
Chance: 100
Gate: 2/16th

also make sure the mix section on beat repeat is set to Ins to mute the original track and just play what you want to loop.
just stick it on each track or on the master and have fun looping away. with just a few knobs and buttons mapped to on/off, loop rate and other stuffs it really becomes a powerful effect/ mixing tool..
this is a very nice tip may i collect it?
rabbit

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat May 30, 2009 5:38 pm

^^^ me too, and other classic instruments, but i don't like turntables nor records or CDs anymore... :wink:
at least not in clubs.

that's all.
*** Image GAFM ***

o0o

Post by o0o » Sat May 30, 2009 5:43 pm

aren't the most radical djs to date still djs that use vinyL not because of vinyl
but aren't the most radical djs the turntablist
rabbit

o0o

Post by o0o » Sat May 30, 2009 5:44 pm

i wish more digital djs were like moldover but their numbers are small in comparison
to radical vinyl djs
rabbit

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat May 30, 2009 5:49 pm

o0o wrote:aren't the most radical djs to date still djs that use vinyL not because of vinyl
but aren't the most radical djs the turntablist
i don't think so.

turntable-ism is dusty.

that is my opinion.

hey everyone to his own, here in berlin is a great deal on pro vinyl freaks... loads of clubs try to 'bann' laptops.

i see it the other way around, in our club we had in slovakia, i pushed digital and tried to book mainly non vinyl DJs, with great sucsess, because internationally not many people are crazy or stupid enough to drag hundred of kilos of plastic around anymore.
*** Image GAFM ***

rompling

Post by rompling » Sat May 30, 2009 5:54 pm

:o Traktor scratch is what I use and you can have the best of both worlds with hands on control (old school djing) or digital manipulation havent tried traktor pro but heard there is some issues to be ironed out
Got live 8 and would love to give it go at " playing out " but from what i have read in this very forum a lot of abelton dj`s not too impressed with the new warping system - so maybe I will try with live 7
Pc Dual core 3gb Ram Live 8 ,Reason 4, Novation X station Akai MPC1000 Novation Nio2/4 M Audio BX 5 Korg Zero 8 Novation Nocturn & Launchpad
Been on live since version 2 but ableton forum has somehow only had me down as a user since 08 doh !

o0o

Post by o0o » Sat May 30, 2009 5:55 pm

but artist still drag heavy pianos around too don't they?

speaking only of audio manipulations there are incredible things that
a dj can do with a laptop and incredible things turntablist can do even without a laptop
if you can see the things that a laptop can do why are you not impressed by those that
can do those things without a laptop?
rabbit

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat May 30, 2009 6:07 pm

o0o wrote:but artist still drag heavy pianos around too don't they?

speaking only of audio manipulations there are incredible things that
a dj can do with a laptop and incredible things turntablist can do even without a laptop
if you can see the things that a laptop can do why are you not impressed by those that
can do those things without a laptop?
who said i am not impressed by it. and why always mentioning a piano, can you DJ with a piano, cool!

i just not in faver and not even interested in the survival of vinyl. if it goes after me, vinyl can easy totally die and being a thing of the past, i don't care... i did not touched a vinyl... since T3 came out, and never will... the main DJ i booked for my last party has his own label and gave me a promo record, i nearly started to laugh when he gave me that piece of plastic and i was hmmm... how about a USB stick instead...

there has been actually here in berlin a netlabel party, where they gave out USB sticks with promo tracks on it instead of promo records, that is something i like to support.

that is just my opinion. i know more people loving vinyl, i don't. period. it can die and i don't care.

apart from that this turns out into a thread hijack.
*** Image GAFM ***

o0o

Post by o0o » Sat May 30, 2009 6:15 pm

i don't think one is better than the other i just thought its strange
that someone who likes radical djing would not find value and skill
in the artform of radical vinyl djs to the point of saying its not important.
rabbit

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat May 30, 2009 6:25 pm

o0o wrote:i don't think one is better than the other i just thought its strange
that someone who likes radical djing would not find value and skill
in the artform of radical vinyl djs to the point of saying its not important.
i think we missundertand each other here...

i never said that i don't respect DJ skills, beatmatching with turntables does not count, in my opinion... it's a skill like learning how to open a bottle of wine, nothing more.

and i don't really care what others think, i just don't care about vinyls anymore and find DJ-ing with them boring.

propper turntablism is turntablism, not DJ-ing, we talked about DJ-ing.

and i respect turntablism, but was never into it, neither i care about slow breaks or hip hop (mainly associated with turntablism) it's not my cup of tea.

and i can't see that i said one is better then the other... all i have said is that I get bored with vinyl DJs. and that's just me!!!!

that's all.
*** Image GAFM ***