Why isTraktor becoming the standard for djing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
timwright

Re: Why isTraktor becoming the standard for djing

Post by timwright » Sat May 30, 2009 6:44 pm

I would have assumed Serato is more commonly used, as others have said. Advantage of Traktor is the ease of setup and use. You can use it with or without any external hardware, and it's got great features (including the A&H filter emulations).

Depends on how you want to use it I think. If you're after a more traditional setup, controlling your tracks with vinyls or CDs, then get SSL. If you wanna use midi controllers and such then Traktor will do the job perfectly.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sat May 30, 2009 6:52 pm

Serato's alright. I used it for the first time last night on my Washington DC gig (there was already a Serato box set up and it was going to be difficult to start unplugging shit to get the Audio 8 DJ plugged in). Took me a while to get used to it. I sort of messed up the first couple of mixes. But then I got the hang of it and the set continued smoothly.

Maybe it's just a habit thing, but I prefer Traktor Scratch BY FAR. Feels very stable to me in terms of DVS control. And feature-wise it's steps ahead of Serato.

I might be kicking myself when the Ableton/Serato colab thing is finally revealed, but right now I'm happy I went the Traktor route.

Gotta say though, it's cool that anyone can install the serato software on their laptop for free, then just hook it up at any club when necessary (just as I had to do last night).

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sat May 30, 2009 8:10 pm

I have used Traktor/FS2, Live, and Serato for DJing. I prefer Serato because it seems to be easier to set up and it's very basic... Not a bunch of extra stuff like Traktor.
I use Live for live performance for my band, for myself, and for production.

trilo

Post by trilo » Sat May 30, 2009 8:52 pm

In my opinion, Traktor's a more popular choice for a lot of DJ's because it's a bit of an easier solution for people starting out. I'm a die-hard Ableton fan, but honest enough to admit there's a bit more work involved. If you're coming from a background of a pair of decks and a mixer, the Traktor interface is a little more familiar, and you can drop tracks in and get going a little more quickly. And then big fat bonus points for the Beatport integration, that's got to be a huge sell for both traditional DJ's looking to make the digital transition and newbies looking to get started.

On the down side (and depending on what you're looking to accomplish it's a HUGE down side), Traktor does a lot less than Live. To try and sum it up nicely, I'd say Traktor is a great solution for live playback where Live is a great solution for live performance. With Live you not only can play those same tracks back, but you can create your own remixes and original tracks as well.

And the bulk of people out there DJ'ing aren't looking for much more than a solid playback solution with the easiest possible learning curve.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Sun May 31, 2009 7:48 am

SubFunk wrote:
o0o wrote:but artist still drag heavy pianos around too don't they?

speaking only of audio manipulations there are incredible things that
a dj can do with a laptop and incredible things turntablist can do even without a laptop
if you can see the things that a laptop can do why are you not impressed by those that
can do those things without a laptop?
who said i am not impressed by it. and why always mentioning a piano, can you DJ with a piano, cool!

i just not in faver and not even interested in the survival of vinyl. if it goes after me, vinyl can easy totally die and being a thing of the past, i don't care... i did not touched a vinyl... since T3 came out, and never will... the main DJ i booked for my last party has his own label and gave me a promo record, i nearly started to laugh when he gave me that piece of plastic and i was hmmm... how about a USB stick instead...

there has been actually here in berlin a netlabel party, where they gave out USB sticks with promo tracks on it instead of promo records, that is something i like to support.

that is just my opinion. i know more people loving vinyl, i don't. period. it can die and i don't care.

apart from that this turns out into a thread hijack.
preach brother.

the beauty of traktor is it can now be sit in either camp [vinyl emulation or pure midi control]. i have been very impressed by it. it will always come down to how you want to work with the software. ableton just happens to suit me the best.

vinyl is gone period. its life span is in its twlight, but turntablism [or whatever is evolves into] will live on with new tools. turntablism was born from a couple of guys dicking around with a record player!!!! whats the future going to bring with all these new avenues to explore?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun May 31, 2009 8:22 am

nuperspective wrote:
the beauty of traktor is it can now be sit in either camp [vinyl emulation or pure midi control]
another reason i like it over serato and can see it gains popularity over serato quickly...

serato is still stuck on vinyl and decks only...

i am pretty much alone with my i don't give a damn fuck about records anymore attitude... i know!

that is why traktor i guess is quick spreading, it serves both... the conservative record junky and the midi control freak.
*** Image GAFM ***

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi,

I presently run traktor 3 LE with a vestax VCI next to my ableton live setup.

LE is ok but I need MIDI assignations doable by myself, and other options not available in LE.

My question is : should I go TRAKTOR 3.4, or TRAKTOR PRO ?

(someone can sell me his T3 licence for 60 euros)

- I read here and there that T PRO is still full of bugs and not so reliable for now...

- I read that T3 was way more flexible in terms of midi and live modularity than T pro, and since I'd like to use Traktor and ableton live simultaneously...

- I see that Tpro is ok for "midi slavery" stuff, but T3 isn't (only master). Anyone synced successfully live and traktor? (in either ways)

- as a passionate live+midi harware user I like making my own midi assignations, and I read that T3 was really easier to midi program, but that Tpro had more midi options (midi modifiers)...

I don't know what to do. seems that I need parts of T3 AND parts of Tpro, so I feel stuck with an impossible choice...

any opinions?

cheers

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:27 pm

Tpro is fully configurable in terms of MIDI and key mapping. Some of the option and parameter "names" and sub-menus have changed, but i think they're all there.

As far as stability is concerned, I havent found Tpro to be any more unstable than T3. I've only had one major freeze in a live situation and I'm pretty sure it was due to an already unstable hard drive, which ended up crapping out a few days later.

One thing I like about Tpro, which I'm not sure if its available on T3, is the ability to override the Timecode scratch vinyl or cd's with midi control. Makes it extremely flexible. I Put this to the test on my last gig, where I did a b2b set with some label mates. I used the timecode, they used a midi controller (Behringer BCD)... they all worked simultaneously without a hitch.

djwack

Post by djwack » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:06 pm

Alas, TPro is still slightly buggy.. try moving a loop when playing back longer WAV files for example..

I bought TPro because I was afraid that NI's gonna drop all future support from T3 (like they did with battery, as soon as the next ver came out they stopped fixing the old ones.. that still had issues). But after using TPro for a few months, I finally reinstalled T3 a few days ago and I think T3 is still nicer for my taste. I can only hope for future TPro updates to bridge the gap a bit more in the future..

For all you VinylDJ haterz, I'm feeling you.. Last time I played at a club, the DJ I was playing with that night came to me after the show and went "gee, you really should get those DVS controllers for your laptop.. people were complaining that it looks silly" and I was like W!T!F!

From now on I will only play without vinyls/DVS! :) Just to piss 'em all off

(looks aside, I still prefer the vinyl sound.. so call me contradictionary)
(and more contradictions, vinyl is a nice instrument.. it's the convenience that's just not there)
(and yeah, I'd like to use vinyl for controlling synths too)
(and... I give up)

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:55 pm

^^ that'll show'em :lol: anyways what is the difference between t3 and tpro is there a comparison chart somewhere I can't seem to find one?

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:43 pm

(and yeah, I'd like to use vinyl for controlling synths too)
strange but great idea! (I can't manage to imagine what it could do...) :lol:
what is the difference between t3 and tpro is there a comparison chart somewhere I can't seem to find one?
there is a "what's new in Tpro" section on native instrument's "bling bling shiny but superficial" site...

T3 vs Tpro : Aqua_tek vs djwack ;)

I saw lots of people on forums that came back to T3 after upgrading to Tpro.
I saw lots of people (not sure it's equally the same amount) fully happy with Tpro,,,
djwack wrote:after using TPro for a few months, I finally reinstalled T3 a few days ago and I think T3 is still nicer for my taste.
I'll be interested if you could you precise what is "nicer" for you in T3 please?

cheers

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:49 pm

monstrejumo wrote:
what is the difference between t3 and tpro is there a comparison chart somewhere I can't seem to find one?
there is a "what's new in Tpro" section on native instrument's "bling bling shiny but superficial" site...
Right, here's the link: http://www.native-instruments.com/newre ... /?page=231 - basically, new synching, tweaked UI, but the main thing (for me, at least) is a lot more flexibility in the routing of effects. I like TPro, I never open T3 any more...

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:00 pm

I like TPro, I never open T3 any more...

8 O : could you explain us what do you prefer in Tpro, that seems to excuse the bugs that annoy the other people that stick with T3?

there seem to be 2 types of traktor users, the ones who like/love Tpro, the others who definitively stay with older versions...
I'd like to figure out what is the criteria to decide in which group I'll be.

Here is an interesting topic on NI's forum about this :

https://www.nativeinstruments.com/forum ... hp?t=74450

I'm now reading it, so I have no clue yet, but soon as I figure it out, I'll feedback on it, and perhaps will I make my choice!

cheers

djwack

Post by djwack » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:15 pm

I think what does it for me is the UI. I still prefer the ability to build my own views as offered in T3. Also, when "cloning" decks, TPro does not sync to the parent deck in the same way as in T3. Maybe it's just my settings? And I appreciate being able to record data as well as audio when messing with the wheels, easier to do overdubs.

Listing all the exact differences between TPro and T3 would take too much effort from me, sorry :p
Being friday and all..

If at all possible, try to demo both of them.

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:21 pm

monstrejumo wrote:8 O : could you explain us what do you prefer in Tpro, that seems to excuse the bugs that annoy the other people that stick with T3?
The effects routing. T3 is really limited with the number of effects you can have at the same time and different effects per deck. TPro is much, much more flexible and powerful. I regularly experience one small annoying bug (but it's predictable and not fatal) and apart from that TPro's been rock solid for me.