Second beta of upcoming 8.0.4 bugfix update: Live 8.0.4b2!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Alex

Second beta of upcoming 8.0.4 bugfix update: Live 8.0.4b2!

Post by Alex » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:57 pm

Hi folks,

We just released the second beta version of the upcoming 8.0.4 bugfix update.
Every Live 8 owner can use this beta version.

As it is a beta, please remember to backup critical data before you use it.

Version info:

Current version: Live 8.0.4b2
Expiration date: 2009/06/10
Required serial: Live 8 full version

Kind Regards
/Alex

Changes from Live 8.0.4b1 to 8.0.4b2:

Improvements:

Improved handling of the library database. That requires a database conversion and rescan of the current Library when Live is running for the first time.
Depending on the library size and the computer hardware that can take quite a while.

Better GUI performance when recording many automation parameters.

Bugfixes:

Dragging a multi selection of audio files into Live would not work properly, when the multi selection would contain .asd files too [5485]

The 'Select All' context menu command would be available by accident for an entry in the device browser [5496]

On Windows, moving Library could transform .AbletonPresetInfo files into _AbletonPresetInfo files [5506]

Jumping to different bars using the song position field, with the arrow keys, doesn't work properly [5490]

Setting a tempo via scene launch would not work properly if there's a loop in the Arranger [5535]

Exporting or consolidating audio would create a fade in in the resulting audio file [5540]

Announcement of 8.0.4b1:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116148

leinad

Re: Second beta of upcoming 8.0.4 bugfix update: Live 8.0.4b2!

Post by leinad » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:41 am

I can't even catch up with the actual releases... I was still thinking 8.0.2 was the most up to date verison.

Is there a news channel where you are posting notifications of new releases? twitter? friendfeed?

I see a friendfeed ableton group, nothing posted.
I see a twitter.com/ableton user, even with abes homepage url, is that the official abe twitter account to follow? why aren't there any posts?

Is there a rss feed to subscribe to?

Now might be the right time to start doing this stuff. It's easy for everybody. A feed containing beta and non-beta releases.

Regards,
Daniel
8.1, Windows 7 (32 bit)

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:23 am

You know that the forums have a sticky that display the latest beta version, or you can just click "check for updates" in Live itself for released versions?

leinad

Post by leinad » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:45 pm

timothyallan wrote:You know that the forums have a sticky that display the latest beta version, or you can just click "check for updates" in Live itself for released versions?
That's no argument at all. Since the absolute mouse mode issue has been fixed there is hardly a reason for me to visit the forum. I just drop by once in a while just to see what's new, and that tiny entry about 8.0.3 must have missed my eyes.

Also I'm no user of the Help->Update feature you talk about, since most of the times I would be doing that update I'd get a message telling me "No updates avaliable".

So why not automate that notification process with tools designed to do that. My newsreader would happily check a couple of times a day if there are any news on releases from Ableton without me even having to bother about it.

Your approach is so old school, while I'd like to remind you that your blog offers rss feeds, as well as your twitter account.

I have nothing against the Help->Update feature, it's just that I'm not the kind of person who uses it. I have nothing about a stickie in a forum, it's just that I don't visit the forum that often. But I do feed myself with dozens of newsfeeds and I don't care if a feed I'm subscribed to just drops me a notice once every two weeks.

I'd also go along with an email subscription to new releases, but since that's not being offered as well (I'm not angry at all, really) it might be the best to go and publish an rss feed since all the subscription management is in the hands of a 3rd party. Friendfeed or twitter.

I'm not angry, I'm not ranting, I'm just saying that those tools might be good to serve the purpose. So really, answers like "go check the forum" or "go check the menu entry" are a bit OT since the point I'm trying to get to is not "to go and check" but instead "to be notified of" by whichever mean I prefer of, be it my newsreader or whichever tool I feel like using.

Or just a blinking dot in abletons user interface... but we all know how hard that is to code.

Besides a feed could also notify us of other things if Ableton would consider it newsworthy...

So, Timothy, I apologize to you if I made you feel a bit angry now (experience tells me that in the interwebs every tiny remark usually ends up being a war), I liked your blog, specially the entry
Made by Monkeys - ‘I Think Of You’ (Timothy Allan Vocal Mix). Stay safe.

Sorry to everybody for this long post.
8.1, Windows 7 (32 bit)

deepdirtydub

Post by deepdirtydub » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:34 pm

http://www.twitter.com/AbletonTweets Not official. But we cover just about everything Ableton related.

As soon as one of us sees the update you'll see it on there.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:48 pm

leinad wrote:
timothyallan wrote:You know that the forums have a sticky that display the latest beta version, or you can just click "check for updates" in Live itself for released versions?

So, Timothy, I apologize to you if I made you feel a bit angry now (experience tells me that in the interwebs every tiny remark usually ends up being a war), I liked your blog, specially the entry
Made by Monkeys - ‘I Think Of You’ (Timothy Allan Vocal Mix). Stay safe.

Sorry to everybody for this long post.

No reason to apologize at all, I don't usually get angry at anything... especially something from the intarweb :) Plus, even if I was upset, your lovely comment about my track would have eased all of that :lol:

leinad

Post by leinad » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:25 pm

Announcements on friendfeed and twitter
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116905
8.1, Windows 7 (32 bit)