How To Warp A Whole Track with relative Success

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:26 pm

This technique is very good its the method I use now. 8)
HA HA HA :twisted:

ravetunes

Post by ravetunes » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:10 pm

worked fine for me too thanks

jd35

WARP AND WARBLES

Post by jd35 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:30 am

I have been reading this very informative string but am unclear whether it solves my problem. i am new to Ableton and am using it for DJ mixes mainly. I have managed to make a set using imported Mp3 files and have simply allowoed the autowarp function to do its work. This works fine in terms of beat matching, however, on certain tracks, once warped, they exhibit a warble/distortion effect.

I presume this is, in some way, related to the warping process?

I see references on the forum to both warping problems and warble effects, but how can i fix this? - do i need to warp the problem tracks manually? is it a compresion probelm.

Any help appreciated, sorry if this question has been asked many times, i could not seem to find a good reference.

Jon

dizaster

Post by dizaster » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:59 am

JD35, have a look at my offering further back in this post, i dj with it a lot and everyone i have taught to use my system can warp a whole track in under a minute. stick at it, it will make sense after about 5 tracks.

Good luck

jd35

Post by jd35 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:37 pm

so is the warble effect due to inaccurate warping?

dizaster

Post by dizaster » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:07 pm

what sort of music are you mixing? original bpm and running tempo? if you move too far apart they will crackle and messup. I don';t understand what you mean by warble.. pls explian more

regards

jd35

Post by jd35 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:17 pm

I am mixing house and garage, these are slightly different original bpm's (120-130bpm) and i am allowing ableton to autowarp them to a master 123bpm tempo. Currently, i am doing no normal warping.

The sound is an audible distortion effect. I could send you the before/after files if that would help explain it?

Thanks for your replies

dizaster

Post by dizaster » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:11 pm

ahhh, i think i know what you're doing. once ableton autowarps, you need to go back through and fix the markers. place the markers as close as you can to the beginning of the beat.

go back through the post , you didnt undersstand et what the warpign is all about i think. You need to line up the first marker to 1.1.1 about 2 pages back there are several ways of warping tracks. Chris has a good one in there too.

Regards
Diz

msticman

Post by msticman » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:44 pm

ive mainly been working with live as a production tool and not dj. ive done a little mixing with live just to see what it offers.

ive noticed that on some tracks that i drag in, it has nearly every marker fixed(yellow). should i leave it like that and trust the program or should i unwarp it and start from scratch?

after reading some of the tips, i was wondering about something. as i said before, im a noob to djing, so i dont know if this would work. or if it would make a set sound all messed up.

if you warp only the parts of the song that are going to be mixed together, would that work?

ie. youve got your first song. and you want to start mixing in the second song around bar 200 of the first one. could you warp just from 200 to end and then from bar 1 of 2nd track until first one fades out?

just a question from a noob

dizaster

warping

Post by dizaster » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:56 pm

right then, when you see all the yellow markers already in there, they are probably not lined up properly. It's best to delete them and start over.

Also, go to preferences and default tab and unclick 'auto warp samples' It;s better this wey i reckon. as you always have to make the final minor adjustments anyway

Regards your last bit, yes you can start warping half way, just click a marker, then right click and sleect 'set 1.1.1 here' and start from there

good luck
Diz

gr00veh0lmes

Post by gr00veh0lmes » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:39 am

OK, this is an excellent forum and a great topic, but there is something that no-one has mentioned yet.

DIFFERENT SONGS/BEATS HAVE DIFFERENT ATTACK TIMES!

Warp your tracks, not to the start of the attack, but to the largest (highest amplitude) part of the downbeat. (BUT AT THE ZERO CROSSING)

BE CONSISTENT.

If you decide to do this, then nothing should flange too badly.

This is the best TIP I have.

Cheers

A[/b]

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:45 am

Hey thanks a lot Chris! This has saved so much time. I'm not sure if anybody mentioned this yet, but for really spastic idm tracks it's almost to confusing to even tap tempo. So I am now using the method you so kindly shared with us all, and had trouble finding the original bpm. I found a solution that gets you pretty close to the original tempo really fast. By simply setting the warp mode to re-pitch for the track you can play with the tempo to pitch it close to original pitch then set the track back to whatever warp mode you prefer. This works very well for crazy breaks that are all over the place and you don't know if they are 160 bpms or 180 bpms.

NickolsF

Post by NickolsF » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:37 pm

dizaster.........Ive been trying all these methods and its funny but u kinda just get a hang of it.....i like your method the best for what Ive tried so far, Im mixing tracks that very 120-135 bpm's......and also a few alot lower but, when we switch to re-pitch, why do we do this, this does change the pitch in the song, which i cant have cuz live guitar will be played over it, so I would just switch to back to beats underneath warp there on the clips and it switched the original pitch back.....so my question is this 2 things, when i switch back to beats, does that mess up my warping under re-pitch???
Also why do we use re-pitch whats it doing or why cant we leave it at beats?? thanks for ur help.

jakeruben47

re

Post by jakeruben47 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:07 am

Thanks so much for the tip you just saved me about 300 hours of wrapping tracks!
Jake Ruben

Andy Watkins

Warping

Post by Andy Watkins » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:10 am

Great post, thanks a lot, a big help to someone like me that has only just started using Ableton (with little experience in Music tech, or digital dj'ing either).

Couple of questions:

1) Copying audio from vinyl, WHY is it important to record into a separate audio edit prog. and NOT direct into Ableton ?? (which is what i have been doing for a few days already)

2) Maximising tracks in audio editor, could you elaborate on this ??

thanks, all the best...