How To Warp A Whole Track with relative Success

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Q&A

Post by Q&A » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:51 am

you know those scenes in the cop shows where the noble detective calmy talks the suicide attemptee off of the ledge....

" Come on man, it's not so bad....warping is easy, you just got to do it the right way...thats all..."

*I tightly close my eyes and start bauling*

(cut to next scene, me being taking a blanket and hot coffee and sitting with the hero policeman, as he shows how to warp tracks..... we become super star dj's

the end

modular1

Post by modular1 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:21 am

my god... this thread has been a revelation in time saving...

thank you

Frantic

Post by Frantic » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:39 am

This thread has been amazing. I can now put full house tracks into Live and it only takes me a few minutes per track!

I'm still not fully understanding the "don't make it yellow" thing about warp markers.

Before reading this thread I was using a very similar method. The only things different were that I was warping left to right (so time consuming!) and that I *was* making them yellow warp markers before dragging.

What exactly did this do wrong to my files? The older ones that I warped by making markers yellow seemed to work fine. What is the difference?

Once I understand the difference (I'm sure someone can explain it here), should I then go back to all my older warped files, click on the yellow markers and click "delete"? Would that keep the grid in the same place?

dizaster

Post by dizaster » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:48 pm

Hey Frantic,
I don't know exactly why, but over the past year warping like mad it really does seem to work better if you drop the marker in the right place before yellowing it. By work better, i mean that it seems to relocate the next markers more accurately. I really have no idea why it works this way, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it is my theory.

Diz

Frantic

Post by Frantic » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:59 pm

Thanks much for the reply Diz.

BTW, you wouldn't be the Diz of "Iz & Diz" house fame, would you?

dizaster

Post by dizaster » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:48 am

Frantic,
No mate, i'm not.
I'm from Malta, where we have our own little scene going on and even then i'm very under the radar. I do this as a hobby, but due to the fact that i know all the top dj's here, and am their local ableton live support helpline they invite me to play a few good gigs every now and then, which suits me perfectly.

Frantic

Post by Frantic » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:54 pm

Sounds good man, sweet.

Warping seems too easy now. A ton of these tracks I download online I just have to set that first marker and it's done. Crazy.

I did the beasties last night and threw a house beat behind it, this is a freakin blast: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=536453

barrymendez

Post by barrymendez » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:54 am

dizaster wrote:Hey Frantic,
I don't know exactly why, but over the past year warping like mad it really does seem to work better if you drop the marker in the right place before yellowing it. By work better, i mean that it seems to relocate the next markers more accurately. I really have no idea why it works this way, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it is my theory.

Diz
By moving one of the grid markers after the last warp marker (yellow), you adjust the BPM of that complete (un-warp-marked) section, thus all the grid markers behind the last warp marker will move more (hopefully) to their correct position.
If you double-click the grid marker first, creating a warp marker, the BPM of the section after that marker remains unchanged, the grid markers just shift left or right depending on where you place the last 'yellow' warp marker.
Free Tibet!

Frantic

Post by Frantic » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:42 pm

barrymendez wrote:rid markers after the last warp marker (yellow), you adjust the BPM of that complete (un-warp-marked) section, thus all the grid markers behind the last warp marker will move more (hopefully) to their correct position.
If you double-click the grid marker first, creating a warp marker, the BPM of the section after that marker remains unchanged, the grid markers just shift left or right depending on where you place the last 'yellow' warp marker.
Barrymendez speaks the truth! I am starting to get these warp markers.

It's as simple as what he says above. When pulling any gray warp markers around, you're only adjusting the BPMs between the yellow warp markers to your left and right.

The more I understand this, the easier warping will become...

barrymendez

Post by barrymendez » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:50 pm

Frantic wrote:When pulling any gray warp markers around, you're only adjusting the BPMs between the yellow warp markers to your left and right.
Well, almost. Between two Warp Markers the BPM, and thus the position of the Grid Markers is fixed. Unless you add another Warp Marker.
You can only move the position of the Grid Markers (changing the BPM of that part of the clip) on the right hand side of the clip, meaning to the right of the last Warp Marker.

Cheers!

Barry
Free Tibet!

Frantic

Post by Frantic » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:15 pm

Oh wow, okay. That explains why I can't drag some grid markers.

So you can only drag grid markers (gray) that are to the right of your last warp marker (yellow). Dragging these grid markers changes the BPM of only the section of the grid to the right of this last marker.

Understood!

ravetunes

Post by ravetunes » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:06 pm

just wondering, how a user navigates his way around the arrangment view, as in once you have you track warped do you then deleted the warped tune from view and leave the arrangment view, and go to the session view and add the new warped track as a new audio track? and vice verse go back to the arrangment view warp a track so on so on, just wondering because when i try and warp another track in the arrangment view there is no sound.. any reason for this? thanks everyone for all the help on the site, warped my first track just now after 2 weeks of messing around... but must say its addictive!!

row102938

Post by row102938 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:38 pm

I have the same problem as you rave tunes....as in, when i drag a tune into the arrange tune sometimes it is slightly faded in colour and is mutedd when you press play....I cant figure out why!
I will continue to experiment and look through the forums to find the answer, in the meatime if anyone can explain that would be great.
Good thread by the way, thanks

Frantic

Post by Frantic » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:35 pm

I think you guys are having trouble with the "back to arrangement" button. It's at the top middlish of the screen. When things are "grayed out" and not playing, as you mentioned, press it. That should sort you out.

row102938

Post by row102938 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:44 pm

Thanks mate, thats seems to have sorted it out! :D ..although im worried it will happen again! What does this button exaclty do and why are the things greyed out n the first place?
That would be really helpful!!