jomox vs elektron?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Zky

jomox vs elektron?

Post by Zky » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:55 pm

hello guys

now thinking on get either a jomox or elektron drum machine

wich of both are your favourites? regardless of the price,,would like to hear your opinion here :)

of course there are different models,,but wich one would you take??

thanks!

j2j

Re: jomox vs elektron?

Post by j2j » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:38 pm

I'd like to see the elektron come in vst/au. It is totally digital, they should be able to model their own creation fairly easily.

This is not just because I would only like to spend $150 or so on a plug in. This is because, if machine drum was a vst/au, it would fully integrate into our DAWS, and it would be the coolest vst/au drum synth around.

Furthermore, I prefer elektron to the jomox. Elektron is not trying to clone, or be anything else. It just, is its own sound, and it sounds great.
too many lasers...

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:56 pm

I prefer the Elektron MachineDrum, because of it's awesome superplayable interface on top of the amazing sonic spectrum it has. I would highly recommend Elektron to never make a software version out of any of their instruments, ever.

j2j

Post by j2j » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:09 pm

SimonPHC wrote:I would highly recommend Elektron to never make a software version out of any of their instruments, ever.
+1

I have to agree here. The release of a software instrument from Elektron, would totally destroy the value of their hardware.

With that said, I'd really like to see a software only version from them. At the very least, a TI style program.

Sooner or later, somebody will code a proper drum software. Reason's Redrum is good, but its stuck in Reason, so I don't have it, and Reaktor's Limelite, is even better, but there isn't much else in Reaktor I dig, so I don't have it.

I've got the RM5, but meh, Its a wannabe 808, 909, with a huge sample library. I'm semi interested in the Attack, but really, it seems older and over the hill to me. I've always found MicroTonic, a little thin, and I hate the d12 stuff. ADM is ok, but its a little weak.

I've still not found the perfect drum software. Something that isn't a clone of something, or modeled after something, and doesn't bog you down with a huge sample library.

The Elektron is fabulous. But, GOSH, I actually LOVE software. Really, really, I love software so much more than hardware.

Software integrates, doesn't forget, is updated, functional, and so many softwares are excellent sounding.

I want a Machine drum audio unit.
too many lasers...

j2j

Post by j2j » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:20 pm

You know coded a funky little drum machine? Chris K, who works here with the Ableton crew. Scroll down on his website.

http://christiankleine.com/Site/pluggo.html

I don't know what the Ableton working contract is, but I'd like to see a talented guy like this, engineer a proper drum synth, with sequencer, nice oscillator section, and filters.

It doesn't need every effect in the book, like RM 5 or Battery. Just a great synth, with its own sound, ie not a clone like D12 or ADM.

Something FAT sounding, and not thin and metalic like Micro-Tonic. Also, I don't want an overweight sampler, with some drum synth ability.

I'm really waiting to see a FAT, KILLER, drum synth vst/au. Best so far is, Drumatic, and that is synth edit.

I mean, gimme a break.

Where is the C++, au/vst, drum synth god? It doesn't exist yet. IMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But you know..

Anybody capable of doing it properly, is probably so busy with other work, or is not allowed to code it, because they are on contract with some music software company.

Sucks!!
too many lasers...

Zky

Post by Zky » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:39 pm

i see..anyone knows if its possible to send program change to machinedrum for change patterns/sequencers as slave?

convex

Post by convex » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:42 pm

I think the big differences are going to be the quality (maybe nature is a better word) of the sounds, the variety of sounds on offer, and the sequencing/sound programming workflow. If you simply want a fully analog reproduction of a Roland 808 or 909 with more modern, full-featured sequencing, go for one of the Jomox boxes. The Machinedrum on the other hand will do a decent job of recreating the sounds of both of those machines and it gives you the possibility to synthesize maybe a wider range of sounds. I say "maybe" because I only have hands-on experience with Elektron and have only read about and listened to demos of Jomox.

It looks like Jomox's take on sequencing is more advanced than the vintage Roland scheme, but I wonder how it compares to Elektron's unique take on sound and sequence programming. The workflow is really where the magic is with an Elektron device. It's super fast to twist sounds into all sorts of weird places with a Machinedrum and last I checked, the OS was still being updated periodically with new features. It would be really hard to sum up in a forum post all the tricky shit you can do with the Machinedrum OS. Having said that, as much as I loved my Machinedrum before it was stolen, I will say that it's sounds tend to have a distinct digital sheen, almost to point of being shrill, especially when pushed into areas like tones and more synth-like sounds. Not bad, but definitely not analog. Someone else here can surely speak more intelligently about the comparative fatness of Jomox's analog synthesis.

Short of doing a side-by-side, hands-on comparison of these boxes, one of the best things you can do to determine what is going to suit your needs functionality-wise is to read the manuals of each one. Sonically, you're likely to get a more traditional, but possibly limited range of sounds from the Jomox boxes. The Machinedrum on the other hand can produce the bread and butter electronic drum sounds and get as freaky as you like due to the complexity you can achieve with sequenced parameters and all the routable LFO's. On top of that, you can get a Machinedrum with limited sampling memory. That kind of changes the game too.

Good luck.
Last edited by convex on Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

convex

Post by convex » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:45 pm

What's with the VST rant, anyway? The question was Elektron vs. Jomox.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:04 pm

I have got a machine drum.

I think it sounds shit.

The UI is fun, and better than other hardware boxes (Dave Smith Evolver springs to mind as I have been plkaying aorund with mine again this weekend).

Others will probably disagree but I think that the machine drum sounds really, really bad.

By bad I mean digital, harsh, not good in a mix.

This is why, on it's own it sounds cool. Stick it against some other stuff and the difference is palpable.

I have got a track which is MD drums (byw I am talking about the MD sounds, not sampled ones, that's a diff kettle of fish)

Then some analogue stuff from my modular, plus some stuff from battery and a few other bits. I programmed up the drums on the MD and a simple bass thing and it sounded great. Compared to other stuff I have recently been working on it doesn't cut the mustard.

Here's the but though. I am getting more and more into analogue sounding stuff. I am beginning to appreciate that almost all of the drums I love are either real drums that have ben well recorded and are warm and sharp and punchy or are 808 / 909 / 606 and a few others that have been recorded well and then processed well.

This is however an opinion and one of many but I would say if harsh and digital is our think, get the md, otherwise i'd look at the jomox. They are very very different beasts though.

The main thing about the MD is the user interface and the ability to modulate stuff with ease.

i used it and thought, this takes longer to do less stuff than I can in ableton and doesn't sound as good as my computer rig. . .

An alternative might be Numerology and some of the drum Au's. I have been using audio realism's ADM with some good results, that into URS's saturation then compression from sonalksis and some eq from URS channel strip pro (and a touch lil more compression).

I think that the original 808 / 909 etc all sound shit without a fair bit of retouching however so YRMV.. .

I'd find somewhere you can listen to them both, and importantly record em both, get them doing similar things and take a cd home, listen to it a few days later then decide if it's just sound quality. . .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:07 pm

Btw I think you'd have to slave live to the mD, live historically hasn't synced well with hardware if it's the master, crazy huh?

I donno if they have sorted that in 8 though. It's been a problem for a while (pre version 6)
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

Zky

Post by Zky » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 pm

so here seems that the deal is either to decide between extensive modulation with elektron or better punchy sounds with jomox with less modulation capabilities??

i know that i can go to the store and listen etc..but what im looking for here is for other users opinions in real life,,day to day basis of working with either one of this devices or personal experiences etc..

what like to find is a drum machine that sounds fat on the mix by itself,,either digital or analogue.of course each of us have a different taste,,but we all understand "phat" ;)

j2j

Post by j2j » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:30 pm

convex wrote:What's with the VST rant, anyway? The question was Elektron vs. Jomox.

True...

:D

Slightly off topic, maybe. But I really did have an opinion of Elektron vs Jomox in there.
too many lasers...

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:38 pm

j2j wrote:
SimonPHC wrote:
I would highly recommend Elektron to never make a software version out of any of their instruments, ever.
+1

I have to agree here. The release of a software instrument from Elektron, would totally destroy the value of their hardware.
that makes it even more important that someone releases it as a plug-in.

it's about time that they are heavily bum fucked.

and to the OP, as you can't get a plug version for now anyway... the MASCHINE DRUM IS THE ONE TO GET!
*** Image GAFM ***

pix

Post by pix » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:43 pm

the jomox sounds way better for drums.

the MDUW is fantastic to complement a beat. As an inspirational tool for live tweaking and coming up with weird fx it's unbeatable. But the basic sound for drums (kick, snare, hats) can't reach the presence and punch of the jomox.

I think the 2 make a great pair. But people that say that the jomox is only a 808 and 909 clone clearly never have used one. the samples and the filters allow for completely new stuff. I had a 888 and recently upgraded for a 999.

here's some stuff I recorded from them if you want to check them out.

http://pixmusic.net/audio/888loops.mp3 (888 multi tracked into live with some fx)

http://pixmusic.net/audio/888test.mp3 (same as above, the only sound not coming from the 888 is the stringy pad later on)

http://pixmusic.net/audio/wavejmxdemo.m4a (this is some rough sketch of some 999 patterns with a pro one and a nord wave on top- but some of the patterns show what you can do with the 999 filters)

http://pixmusic.net/audio/wave%20away.mp3 (beat is 999 delay is from live)

http://pixmusic.net/audio/pharaodub.mp3 (same as above, sub is also from the 999)

however, the jomox can't do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtxX0VEpMSI

but imo it sounds better.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:48 pm

^^^ hmmm a jomox sounds like a 909 who cares about a 909 drum sound those days unless you make trance and progressive a la 92' - 94'
*** Image GAFM ***