How do you explain to people what kind of music you make?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
PLacidBasilisk

How do you explain to people what kind of music you make?

Post by PLacidBasilisk » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:13 pm

In everyday situations and conversations with people who have little or no knowledge of electronic music beyond the Vengaboys. Could be your girlfriend; could be your nephew; could be a stranger on the street.

This is more directed at those of you who are making slightly more experimental stuff, but still applies to those who make what can be described easily as trance, house, electro etc.

Do you get dumb expressions when you try to explain?
Do people look at you like you're an imbecile?
What would you say if asked to describe your musical style in a job interview?

Nokatus

Re: How do you explain to people what kind of music you make?

Post by Nokatus » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:19 pm

I just say I make electronic music. If I get the vibe it's not worth explaining further, I don't :P

Salty P

Post by Salty P » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:34 pm

Yeah I pretty much just say electronic music.

With regards to a job interview (it obviously depends on the type of job), more often than not it's generally a good idea not to convey the message that you make 'drug music'. So phrases like banging techno can definitely reduce your chances :lol:

tommyn

Post by tommyn » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:55 pm

I live in new york and i dont even tell people i like edm, especially at work.
there gonna think your gay (which isnt a bad thing, but i am not) or they think you do drugs.
people dont understand there is a respectable culture around dance music.

another thing is people refer to any edm as "techno", ive chewed many people out being like oh you like sven vath, or dj umek?

http://soundcloud.com/tommy-nigro

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:45 pm

that has always been tuff for me.
i've never been genre specific.
now that i make electronic music or a combo of electronic music with instruments its even harder.
i usually just direct them to the internet and tell them to tell me what style it is :)

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:53 pm

I gave up trying to explain this a long time ago because it's just been an exercise in frustration. I just say "electronic" music now. Since I live in Indiana, I just start out with the default assumption that the person I'm telling won't get what I'm talking about anyway.

Cyberstar

Post by Cyberstar » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:12 pm

I don't even bother anymore I just say I make music, most of the arse wipes around here look at you funny if you say you play anything other than rap/Hip hop music.

If I do say I do electronic music they laugh and say....oh that techno shit ? to which I reply no I didn't say techno I said electronic and they say you mean there's a difference ? at which point I walk away.
3.6 GHz i7-9700K 8-Core|Win 10 64|MOTU 16a|Push 2|Live 10.1.15 Suite|Komplete12|Studio One V4|Reason 11|Zebra 2|Omnisphere 2||
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/nomar161

stapum

Post by stapum » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:21 pm

Just say Electronic music...

if they dont know what it is just say is music from Pluto and than "you must've been there to know what it is"... conversation's over!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PLacidBasilisk

Post by PLacidBasilisk » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:45 pm

Same deal here. Where I'm from The Black Eyed Peas are considered pretty "out there". Most of the Luddites I talk to seem to laugh electronic music off as if it's a passing phase that's past its heyday.

fingerprince

Post by fingerprince » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:28 pm

I just say I make weird shit that you wouldnt ike
That seems to kill it most times
:)

d-track

Post by d-track » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:03 pm

good topic.

i have given up years ago.
nowadays i just say i make techno and other electronica.
ppl ask is it drug music?
then i say: YES IT IS.

silence then, and, another topic...

acidboy

Post by acidboy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:39 pm

often people say they don't fall in to particular genres, I think that you don't actually realize how many genres and sub genres there actually are. I personally don't like being labeled like most musicians but unfortunately it happens. Its more for the media than anything, Its a description so people know what their going to hear. Personally its best to choose your own genre be it electronic, electronica, techno , minimal techno or whatever because eventually someone will do it for you if you don't.

check out this genre list and theres gotta be something on there you fit in too even if its a mixture of a few.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music_styles

jhalbro

Post by jhalbro » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:52 pm

All I say is rock and roll, cause its so broad and everyone has there own idea of what rock and roll is

BOB Cooper

Post by BOB Cooper » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:14 am

well, this is an issue. I don't know myself.

hard to explain to people.

I just hope to have a friend who know my music next to me and ask him what he thinks I'm doing, so I can answer.

the booking agency which cares about my gigs titled it "experimental breakbeat rock". but for the next gig, I'm announced as "experimental blues".
even if it is "electro-related" music, I can't say "electronic" as I use electric instruments, and most of my sounds are acoustic, so...

I might say it mixes rock, electro, and concrete music. but then I have to explain what concrete music is...

so, most of the time I say it's a visual music. music for a movie that you don't see, but that you have to build, that you have to let happen and watch in your mind.

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:20 am

Even back in olden times when I was playing stuff that pretty much seemed to me to have a straightforward 60s rock flavor, and I would *play* it for people, they couldn't even really "get" something that simple, probably because it didn't sound like the radio or their crappy CD (cassette? :oops: ) collection.

Now that I'm diving headfirst into electronic stuff, I don't expect it to get any easier or harder for everyday dildos to grok.