Ableton Love thread

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Comatoze

Ableton Love thread

Post by Comatoze » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:26 am

I've noticed that a lot of people are pretty harsh when reporting bugs and requesting features for Live. I'm just hoping the developers aren't taking this too seriously. Live is, imo, a brilliant piece of software and a refined piece of art. Keep up the good work :).

synnack

Re: Ableton Love thread

Post by synnack » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:30 am

I love Ableton and appreciate their work like the next guy.

But... we DO pay for this stuff. And often not a trivial sum. In effect, they work for us. We hire them to make ableton by paying for every product they release.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:38 am

If you love Live, as we do, you keep it real and honest and show enough respect to speak up. Most people are reasonable and realistic and don't rant, but there are always going to be exceptions, given the high cost of the software in difficult economic times. There are plenty of positives to be found, but as said before by other users (TD perhaps), people are far more likely to use a forum to complain about a product than wax lyrical about it - many happy users are not even on these forums, they're just making music and often the first time they sign up here is because they encountered a bug or didn't know how to do something.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

jsg4z

Post by jsg4z » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:45 am

we will all laugh at gilded butterflies

love ableton though

synnack

Post by synnack » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:46 am

I find that the people who are dicks about feature requests really don't get what makes live amazing in the first place. They are just looking for another version of Cubase.

I mean, the fact that you can drag the order of effects around in real time with no audio dropout still amazes me. Outside of any feature they add, the basic fact of session view and the audio engine stability when doing things in real time is amazing.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:42 am

The developers and programmers have my blessings for sure. They are brilliant! My only gripe with ableton is with the top management whom created and put marketing development strategy wayyyyy too far over its software development strategy. Abes aggressive business developers are running this operation.

glenn303

Post by glenn303 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:50 pm

I <3 Ableton as well. I couldn't see myself using anything else.

D K

Post by D K » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:31 pm

tempus3r wrote:I love Ableton and appreciate their work like the next guy.

But... we DO pay for this stuff. And often not a trivial sum. In effect, they work for us. We hire them to make ableton by paying for every product they release.
you are forgetting that this concept was not created by nor initially developed into something that could be used by the consumer.
it took artistic vision, technological prowess, and a hard earned education (and absolute love) to create this software...
were you paying for this part of the equation when it was happening?
yes, we do currently have an investment in the software, and deserve the respect for that, which i personally believe is given us by ableton.
they give the investor a voice in the development.
but my point is this: it is a privilege, not a right to have the benefits of this creation.
it wasn't your idea.

thanks for the great software, ableton!

synnack

Post by synnack » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:03 pm

D K wrote:
tempus3r wrote:I love Ableton and appreciate their work like the next guy.

you are forgetting that this concept was not created by nor initially developed into something that could be used by the consumer.
it took artistic vision, technological prowess, and a hard earned education (and absolute love) to create this software...
were you paying for this part of the equation when it was happening?
yes, we do currently have an investment in the software, and deserve the respect for that, which i personally believe is given us by ableton.
they give the investor a voice in the development.
but my point is this: it is a privilege, not a right to have the benefits of this creation.
it wasn't your idea.

thanks for the great software, ableton!
I am not in any way saying ableton isn't great or deserving of respect. They do listen to their customers, etc... etc...

But I am disagreeing with you that it's some sort of privilege to use Ableton. When you buy a license for an application, you are exactly buying the RIGHT to use it. Thats what software licensing is.

D K

Post by D K » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:51 pm

tempus3r wrote: I am not in any way saying ableton isn't great or deserving of respect. They do listen to their customers, etc... etc...

But I am disagreeing with you that it's some sort of privilege to use Ableton. When you buy a license for an application, you are exactly buying the RIGHT to use it. Thats what software licensing is.
buying a marketed product in no way makes the seller the employee of the buyer. they do not work for you.
they work to make a product that they hope the consumer will need, and it will either sell or not based upon it's quality.
you are a buyer, not stockholder.
i did pay for my license, and have the right to the use of the product, along with customer service and support, just like everyone else.
but i do feel it is a privilege to have the use of the initial artistic element/ idea of this creation. that's just me- i couldn't have come up with it, and it has changed everything for me.
this was a concept created by artists for artists, they could have easily kept it to themselves and gone on to do it without sharing.
i won't argue the subsequent development has been symbiotic, it obviously is.
guess we'll just agree to disagree on that point.
Last edited by D K on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

synnack

Post by synnack » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:57 pm

D K wrote:
tempus3r wrote: I am not in any way saying ableton isn't great or deserving of respect. They do listen to their customers, etc... etc...

buying a marketed product in no way makes the seller the employee of the buyer. they do not work for you.
they work to make a product that they hope the consumer will need, and it will either sell or not based upon it's quality.
you are a buyer, not stockholder.
You're being literal. I was using a metaphor. No shit I am not their employer. It's a metaphor.

D K

Post by D K » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:03 pm

sorry, it's easy to loose metaphor via type.
metaphor for what?

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:15 pm

FUCK ABLETON LIVE

i mean...

i would fuck ableton live if i could

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:39 pm

ableton live is one of the true loves of my life. it changed everything.

'nuff said!

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

bodhi71

Post by bodhi71 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:26 pm

I work extremely hard for the money I earn.
I try not to waste my life energy on frivolous things/pursuits.
If I buy some piece of gear or software I expect a certain standard of excellence.

If Ableton touts itself as a High End piece of software, they are responsible for their products.
I think they have released products before they're ready, and will continue to do so, which I think will tarnish their reputation before long.

That being said;
Once the bugs are gone I will be waaaaaaaay happy.
I do love Ableton.