Abe's Spectrum Analyzer

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Mehalic

Abe's Spectrum Analyzer

Post by Mehalic » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:07 pm

Hey guys,

does anyone else have any issues using/reading the new spectrum analyzer? I've been trying to use it to get my mixes sounding cleaner, and its worked a bit, but overall I think its tough to use especially in the lower end of the spectrum (for basses and kicks). Just wondering if anyone has any tips on getting a better mix with using spectrum?!

Here's hoping for cleaner mixes.
MM
Symbolic Studio's
K-DUB

SoundCloud Account

ollyb303

Re: Abe's Spectrum Analyzer

Post by ollyb303 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:14 pm

Use your ears!!
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

zalo

Post by zalo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:31 pm

the only thing you can really use spectrum for is to see what frequencies arent being used or to see what is louder than everything else

dont watch it as you tweak things or youre going to make lifeless music

you can use it as a reference but everytime i throw it on my master track i delete it within 30 seconds

its a tool not a guide

Mehalic

Post by Mehalic » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:39 pm

Thanks Olly, I didn't think of that. I think after several years of working in my studio I know my ears aren't great, hence the use of a tool to aid me. Just hoping to get some tips and tricks for how other people use this tool to produce clear, full bottom end.

I usually stick a spectrum on the master after I've gotten all my parts ready and try and use either EQ and/or side chain compression to get the bottom end to sit right. It's worked ok, but I see a tonne of room for improvement here - what do other people do outside of what been said here?

Maybe the weak link in this chain is my ears and no tool will help with that. Phishing?

MM
MM
Symbolic Studio's
K-DUB

SoundCloud Account

zalo

Post by zalo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:10 pm

the lower the frequency the less useful spectrum actually is

the best tool for getting low end right, is big speakers you can turn up loud

feyshay

Post by feyshay » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:52 pm

Ears are the best. My favorite analyzer is the one that comes with the Fireface 800 that I have. Spend some time with analyzer and watch the height of low end peaks while listening to solid reference songs that you have. You'll get a feel for the pattern you need to be looking at, allowing you to follow your ears and eyes. IMO turning up the monitors can make it even more difficult to get the right bottom end.
Also, you may be having some difficulties if your room is not set up properly for monitoring (e.g. bass traps).
Go onto KVR and find some other spectrum analyzers. There are a number of free ones and cheap ones.

zalo

Post by zalo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:05 pm

they say to mix quiet to get the right balance but i figure if the whole point is to make sure the bottom end doesnt sound like ass in the venue they are going to pump it

its a good thing to listen to your song at all volumes

i also pump it through different speakers (headphones, monitors, heck i run through my tv and a bose sounddock i have) when mixing

any way, my point with bass is that at loud volumes the subs have a lot more momentum, that means if your ducking bass for the kicks there is going to need to be a little more separation, im not saying a lot of separation, but trust me, a millisecond can make a world of difference

Mehalic

Post by Mehalic » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:46 pm

Thanks guys, appreciated the insight!
MM
Symbolic Studio's
K-DUB

SoundCloud Account

AudioRuso

Post by AudioRuso » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:34 am

most monitors do not produce the bass needed to accurately predict what the song will sound like on pa speakers

get a subwoofer and you're set no spectro needed