So I've just bought Logic 9... dun dun duunnnnnnn

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aqua_tek

Re: So I've just bought Logic 9... dun dun duunnnnnnn

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:24 am

8 hours? WTF

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:40 am

It actually took about 2 hours with my MBP dvd drive for 9 dual layers... I guess that ain't toooo bad. :)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:06 am

timothyallan wrote:Any tips/advice/workflow or other things you wish you'd figured out when you first started with it?
Set up these key commands. They aren't default, so you have to set them up yourself, but IMO these help to make composing in Logic as fast as Live. Faster than Lives Arrangement Page, (though it has improved)...

Zoom To Selection both horizontally and vertically. < -- this one is a real time saver, Live added something sort of similar in 8, but not the same, as it's still only horizontally from what I recall. Basically I have it set up on the Z key, and coupled with 'command a' for selecting all the objects in the arrangement, zooms you back to full screen. Whatever you select in the Arrange page in general can be zoomed in less than 1/2 second with little mouse work.

I set the magnifying glass to the right click as well, this is great for general browsing, automation editing etc.

A mouse with a scroll wheel click, set the toolbox to that click, every editing tool at your disposal instantly.

CAPTURE LAST TAKE AS RECORDING! <--- this is the major awesome of Logic! Whatever MIDI you play into Logic is recorded, if you simply stop the sequence, and have this key command set up, Logic will spit out that MIDI data. That awesome line you played, that kills you when record is on isn't an issue, or that screwing around that you did, that sounded better than the thing you were going to do, is capture-able.

Set left and right locators by selection. <-- live does this with 'command L', I was happy about that when I started writing in Live as much as Logic.

In Preferences make sure "Auto Demix While multitrack Recording" is selected. I think it might be on by default now? but it didn't used to be. I have no idea why? Personally I don't stack synths that often, and most of the time I do it's an afterthought, not a default behavior I want while playing. I would rather be able to select more than one synth to play live and work out counter melodies on the spot.

Enjoy being able to look at multiple MIDI matrixes while editing, being able to use two screens, and being able to set nearly any mouse move to a keyboard shortcut. No grabbing the MIDI subwindow to edit MIDI every other minute while working on tightening percussion or just experimenting etc. Enjoy being able to surgically edit MIDI in an event window, and a better automation system.

The audio routing is far more limited than Live, so mess around with that before running into that brick wall. It's not bad, just not stellar like Lives.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:51 am

Man google amazes me sometimes. I searched for "Auto Demix While multitrack Recording" to learn more about it, and this thread popped up:

Ableton Forum • View topic - So I've just bought Logic 9... dun ...
3 posts - 3 authors - Last post: 33 minutes ago
In Preferences make sure "Auto Demix While multitrack Recording" is selected. I think it might be on by default now? but it didn't used to ...
forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t...start... - 33 minutes ago - Similar

Great posts guys, especially MW, really helpful.

creature

Post by creature » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:01 am

timothyallan wrote:What do you mean 'not' install the jam packs. Is there another way to make music that doesn't involve using other peoples loops!?!?
No. You can only use other peoples loops. That is the law. Now go buy my loops in my sig below.

I am kidding of course ;-)

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:49 am

MW - There's a new zoom key command in Logic9 (I read it was new in 9 at least). You can bind "Zoom to selection/return to original zoom" to one key. So I have my whole arrangement in view, zoom in to the selection, hit the same key combo again and bwammo, I'm back at the original zoom. No more ctl-a to select all :)

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:34 am

when you start, don´t use - like in live - the media browser to find good sounds in the chanel strip presets. better: open your instruments in the chanel strip slot and get your sounds inside the instuments brower. why? most of the preset-chanel-strips are hopelessly overloaded with fx-plugs.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:39 am

Good advice... it's a good thing the first thing I do is delete all the presets out of my DAWs :D

pedx1ng

Post by pedx1ng » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:29 am

timothyallan wrote:It actually took about 2 hours with my MBP dvd drive for 9 dual layers... I guess that ain't toooo bad. :)
You mean it's not just Windows with those great estimates?

http://www.xkcd.com/612/

hehe

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:48 pm

Learn to love the marquee tool, it honestly speeds up a lot of things in Logic.

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:14 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
timothyallan wrote:Any tips/advice/workflow or other things you wish you'd figured out when you first started with it?

CAPTURE LAST TAKE AS RECORDING! <--- this is the major awesome of Logic! Whatever MIDI you play into Logic is recorded, if you simply stop the sequence, and have this key command set up, Logic will spit out that MIDI data. That awesome line you played, that kills you when record is on isn't an issue, or that screwing around that you did, that sounded better than the thing you were going to do, is capture-able.
This has to be one of my favorite and overall, one of the more useful commands in Logic. So many times I've been able to record someone without them thinking they were being recorded. You tell them, just jam out, and as long as you hit the command when needed, you got yourself a take. And like MW said, these improv takes with no recording pressure are sometimes just better.
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:07 pm

wow, that's pretty cool.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:41 pm

timothyallan wrote: Thanks for the dancetech links Nick. The best part is when you can hear the dude light up a smoke with a zippo and take a deep haul off of it while he's giving the lesson lol
I think the guy's presentation is hilarious at times, as you've noticed :)

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:11 pm

weeddigger wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:

This has to be one of my favorite and overall, one of the more useful commands in Logic. So many times I've been able to record someone without them thinking they were being recorded. You tell them, just jam out, and as long as you hit the command when needed, you got yourself a take. And like MW said, these improv takes with no recording pressure are sometimes just better.
Wow i've never used this, and I'm not sure I totally understand what it does... but it sounds nifty. Gonna look it up