djing on live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
ohforeal88

djing on live

Post by ohforeal88 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:38 pm

ok im not much of a dj but i wanted to really learn on live how to dj but im having a couple of problems. im using my mac, mpd32, and also have the duet. now with the duet i cant cue songs up with just listenin to one song in my head phones and idky that is. second when i try and mix songs in and the temp is to high for one song it speeds it up. how can i mix in songs in without having the tempo speed the songs up or slow them down

zalo

Re: djing on live

Post by zalo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:34 am

first off, there is a forum search function

2. the duet doesnt have enough outs to cue, you'll need to buy another soundcard with at least 4 outs

3. warping

ohforeal88

Post by ohforeal88 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:15 am

thanks so what sound card works good with ableton then?

zalo

Post by zalo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:16 am

well if you use an aggregate device to merge the duet with the internal card you can run the master out the duet and the cue out the internal

but to answer your last question is like saying what car works good with roads

go to the store and tell them everything you want to do with your card, if they are cool they will give you options beyond what they sell but they will give you at least something that will work easily

Spurts

Post by Spurts » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:52 am

Hi People,

My first post and I'm sorry to say that I'm pretty rubbish using ableton at the moment!!

I was trying to record straight in in real time to put some scratches on top of a beat but I'm experiencing a latantcy.

Any ideas?

gRave Robber

Post by gRave Robber » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:37 am

I'm in the same boat as you kinda. In the sense that I'm not a DJ and I want to learn to rock tracks in Live. I have a M-Audio Profire 610, I adore this thing. It's solid and versatile little thing. Vaery adaptable to Live or Studio setting, around the $500 ish mar, But in my honest opinion worth it. hope that helps
“People say that beatmatching is the art of DJing, but I’m sorry, beat matching isn’t really creative, it’s just a skill,” Richie Hawtin

sherman

Post by sherman » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:53 am

Definitely check out this forum, there's alot of information specific to DJing with Live.
Alot of the members there frequent this forum too :D
--sherman