Berlin clubbing - WTF !?!?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
projoosa

Berlin clubbing - WTF !?!?

Post by projoosa » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:36 am

Im over in Berlin with work for the IFA consumer electronics show... Being sat night we decided to go clubbing. Our first place of choice was the highly recommended Panorama club/bar and took a 20 euro taxi ride there. We queued about 15-20 mins before we were denied at the door for being English. Following this we went to recommendatlon no. 2 watergate. We queued here and then at the door were challenged with whether we knew who was playing before getting let in.

In all my years of clubbing I've never experience such a negative attitude and it left us with a really bad taste. Clubbing is about accessibility and love for the music whoever you are. I have heard of berlin as a lprogressive and forward looking city and am very much confused by this expereince in todays day and age. Have we been very unlucky ???? You would be very unlucky to experience this at the most mainstream clubs in the uk and certainly not atsomewhere playing electronica. In summary WTF !?!?

Peace,
marc

Veiss

Re: Berlin clubbing - WTF !?!?

Post by Veiss » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:19 am

DENIED :cry:
haha, yea that kind of sucks man.

nq

Post by nq » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:15 am

they have a pretty strict door at panorama bar. especially since it's becoming a tourist thing to go and watch the techno/gay weirdos at places like berghain panaorma bar and such.

sorry to hear that.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:05 am

Yup Berlin does suck, the 'scene' here is so up their own ass that you just want to puke all the time.
But don't forget that you are in the world mecca of electronic music / clubbing.... My ass.
*** Image GAFM ***

8O

Post by 8O » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:21 am

projoosa wrote:...We queued about 15-20 mins before we were denied at the door for being English.
Hahahahahaha! This door policy is exactly the reason why I like Berghain/Panorama Bar. Never had a problem getting in and I'm not German and even in small groups of non-Germans, never had a problem. Must've been the way you guys behaved.

"for being English"! Want some salt for those chips on your shoulder? :lol:
projoosa wrote:Following this we went to recommendatlon no. 2 watergate. We queued here and then at the door were challenged with whether we knew who was playing before getting let in.
Well, did you know who was playing? Been to Watergate lots of times too, their policy is much more relaxed than Berghain, so you guys must've really been sticking out like a sore thumb to get denied here.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:23 am

And by the way, claiming that there are to many tourists in a place is the biggest bullshit ever, the whole town consists of only tourists and foreigners or germans from some rotten villages... If you took them all away you would not even be left with enough people to fill just one club.
*** Image GAFM ***

8O

Post by 8O » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:24 am

SubFunk wrote:...some rotten villages...
:lol: :lol:

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:31 am

8O wrote:
projoosa wrote:...We queued about 15-20 mins before we were denied at the door for being English.
Hahahahahaha! This door policy is exactly the reason why I like Berghain/Panorama Bar. Never had a problem getting in and I'm not German and even in small groups of non-Germans, never had a problem. Must've been the way you guys behaved.

"for being English"! Want some salt for those chips on your shoulder? :lol:
projoosa wrote:Following this we went to recommendatlon no. 2 watergate. We queued here and then at the door were challenged with whether we knew who was playing before getting let in.
Well, did you know who was playing? Been to Watergate lots of times too, their policy is much more relaxed than Berghain, so you guys must've really been sticking out like a sore thumb to get denied here.
come on sven at berghain does make his selection totally random and after how much he is fucked on drugs... It has nothing to do with behaviour or looks, he even at times denies people who work for or at berghain the acsess... Or even if you are on the guestlist, once he refused a bunch i know who where already regulars at ostgut times the acsess and they had pre sold tickets for NYE, and not because it was overfilled or something... This is no exception, you had always luck, ok
but there is no 'policy' behind the door... It's random, totally random and sven is a rotten ass.

Same goes for watergate and a few other places.
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:34 am

At times there are only kiddy tourists at panorama bar, at least i witnessed at ones and it was annyoing, cause they all got in totally wasted on alcohol and behaved like school kids..., door policy my ass.
*** Image GAFM ***

8O

Post by 8O » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:37 am

SubFunk wrote:come on sven at berghain does make his selection totally random and after how much he is fucked on drugs... It has nothing to do with behaviour or looks, he even at times denies people who work for or at berghain the acsess... Or even if you are on the guestlist, once he refused a bunch i know who where already regulars at ostgut times the acsess and they had pre sold tickets for NYE, and not because it was overfilled or something... This is no exception, you had always luck, ok
but there is no 'policy' behind the door... It's random, totally random and sven is a rotten ass.

Same goes for watergate and a few other places.
I bow to your greater experience... but my experience has been different: sven singled out the obvious nazi trouble makers from the "rotten villages" who tried to blend in. Maybe you're right, maybe everyone who says they've never had a problem getting into Berghain, has just been lucky...

Anyone reading this thread and wondering who Sven is...

8O

Post by 8O » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:39 am

SubFunk wrote:At times there are only kiddy tourists at panorama bar, at least i witnessed at ones and it was annyoing, cause they all got in totally wasted on alcohol and behaved like school kids..., door policy my ass.
Man, I've had totally different experience at Berghain/Panorama... Kiddy tourists at Watergate, yes... :( but Berghain was always much better in my experience... but maybe it depends on the night...

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:46 am

What i say is that it's random, he does not and some other places as well! have a policy or an attitude he strictly follows, it's just random, that's all.

I don't know if any old berliners still remember places pre- house/techno clubs like the 'cha cha' or 'die tanzstelle' those had door policies. You knew what's going to get you in and what not.
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:49 am

I totally believe you having a different experience... I had those as well, that's why i know it's at random.
*** Image GAFM ***

8O

Post by 8O » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:55 am

Right, so when the OP says "is it cos I is English?" that's just rubbish, unless the group are really sticking out like drunken lager louts. Right?

That Watergate "who's playing tonight" check is legitimate, I think. One time in 10 I've been asked that at Watergate for the BPitch birthday party - of course you know who's playing! - and we were let in no problem...

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:56 am

It just makes me sick that a place like that filthy and rotten with shit sound (even it's a f1 pa, but set up poorly) and a resident dj, like ben klock (former ben e. klock) who used to spin lowest level handbag disco house shit at cockies, when it was still the tiny tuesday bar... And other cheese tunes at the first 103... A guy who never had a musical vision or his own sound... That a place like that was voted no.1 in europe, thatmakes me puke and shows what kind of people go regular into berghain.
*** Image GAFM ***