using MFL to create racks with more macros?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Forge.

using MFL to create racks with more macros?

Post by Forge. » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:24 am

Hi
For my first MFL project I decided to look into creating racks with more than 8 macros using tabs to switch between the banks

being a TOTAL beginner with Max I have barely the first idea how to start on this, but I have managed to find the 'map' live.dial object, and also the 'tab' object - but TBH from there I barely even know where to look

anyone have any tips/suggestions of tutorials etc that will point me in the right direction?

cheers
Craig

Machinate

Re: using MFL to create racks with more macros?

Post by Machinate » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:28 am

hey mate.
have you done the max tutorials? I'd say it's really neccesary to go through all of those before you dig in. Heaps of inspiration there too.

peace
andreas
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:14 am

Hey Andreas

Yeah I've tried some of them...guess I was hoping for a general direction (or even someone to tell me it's not even possible) - time is limited lately, and as a total max noob I could see it taking a LOT of time!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:29 am

I would definitely say; go through all of them - at least, like, the first 40-50 of them. Honestly it's the only way to "teach a man to fish" in this situation. It's well worth the effort, in my opinion. And it's actually fun, spend an hour a day on that and you should be up and running rather quickly.

And yes, it should be possible to do a little max patch with a bunch of dials turning individual macro knobs in a rack somewhere else.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:33 am

Yeah, def check out the tutorials. Id say messing with the Live API is a bit much for a beginner, but there are some really helpful API abstractions( patches ) to get you going in the MFL examples folder.

Macro's sure, you can definitely make them, as far as actually grouping, I don't see a way to do it. but Like andreas said, you can just have it sitting in a track and have it control anything in your Live set. What Ive been doing is just have one max device that receives all audio and MIDI and just distribute functions from there.

Heres a quick max device with a couple things ive made, like CC splitters, and LFOs. Might give you an idea of whats possible. You can open up the patch and have a look around. Pretty simple stuff, the LFO i got from the cycling site ( andrew benson's tutorials i think ) most of the APi stuff I just modified the example abstractions a bit.

anyway, I learn a bit differently, didn't make it to far into the tutorials. I like to just dissect something and see how it all works together.

If you have any questions, Ill try my best to answer them.

www.trackteamaudio.com/data/macrosproject.zip

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:21 pm

thanks guys

I guess maybe with time MFL will get us thinking differently, and maybe more than 8 macros might seem pointless if you can just build your own interface from the ground up

In fact thinking about it, now that we can map keys to a rack's title bar so that we can jump straight to the rack then I guess it's not a lot different to changing banks of macros - whether that button on my controller jumps to a new bank of 8 macros or it just jumps to a new sub-rack inside the main rack I guess makes no difference really in real terms - it's just about how you visually represent it

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:34 pm

the project is missing the max files..

I guess you have to 'Collect all and save' with mfl as well..?

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:39 pm

poster wrote:
the project is missing the max files..

I guess you have to 'Collect all and save' with mfl as well..?

Did a collect all and save. the amxd file is in there now. give it another shot. lemme know,if it works.

also, Ill mention, to remap the knobs, double click the "map Macros" box in the device and use the drop downs, youll have to click "get Devices" to retrieve the sets devices names.

Michael

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:19 pm

abletontrainer.com wrote:thanks guys

I guess maybe with time MFL will get us thinking differently, and maybe more than 8 macros might seem pointless if you can just build your own interface from the ground up

In fact thinking about it, now that we can map keys to a rack's title bar so that we can jump straight to the rack then I guess it's not a lot different to changing banks of macros - whether that button on my controller jumps to a new bank of 8 macros or it just jumps to a new sub-rack inside the main rack I guess makes no difference really in real terms - it's just about how you visually represent it

Again, what I been doing is have a MIDI track with a max device with knobs that can be mapped to any control in Live, devices, volume, sends, clip ops..... Then Everytime I need another knob to do something, ill just add it, You can literally just copy and paste the necessary objects in max and you'll have another knob. Sure you can add a button that will dynamically add another knob( well you can in max anyway ), but i think its more trouble than its worth. check out the set I posted ( should work now ). play around, if you want another knob just copy/paste the need code.

Since your looking to use automap, Id say your best bet is to just make a bunch of max devices with 8 knobs, mapped to the controls you want, then use a keyboard or something to switch, or bank between them, by selecting the device header.

also, You should be able to map "select device" to knobs and sliders in a max device, so you can sweep through selecting devices, don't know if thats really practical, but you can do it, if you want to consolidate the device select midi triggers... good luck and have fun!

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:59 pm

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:[Did a collect all and save. the amxd file is in there now. give it another shot. lemme know,if it works.
thanks.. will study its guts..
though Live crashed on opening that set..