I'm not hiphop enough for rapper apparently..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cmreal04

Re: I'm not hiphop enough for rapper apparently..

Post by cmreal04 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:00 am

All I know is I clicked on butterflies by accident and that tracks great.

CM
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:56 pm

gabrielsaint wrote:I love 85pm 808 beats. And I love you too! :lol:
:mrgreen: sweet.

oh... but what's this "Was" shit? My guess is - you still are...

@ nuxnamon Just listen to mike_o. thats a real rapper hater right there. he runs rappers off professionally :wink:

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:05 pm

Yeah, if you want this to be more "hip-hop", then make the main synth more 80s sounding, take the reverb off the drums, slow the tempo about 20 bpm, and replace the cymbal loops with something simpler.
This track would sound good with some lady singing over it though, like you did in butterflies. :)

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:05 pm

H20nly wrote:
gabrielsaint wrote:I love 85pm 808 beats. And I love you too! :lol:
:mrgreen: sweet.

oh... but what's this "Was" shit? My guess is - you still are...

@ nuxnamon Just listen to mike_o. thats a real rapper hater right there. he runs rappers off professionally :wink:

thanks man, its nice to have my skills recognized yo!!! :D

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:10 pm

^ *tips hat*

**begins thinking of a way to ask mike_o for a beat and how to tell him that it needs to sound more like Master P**

sunaivod

Post by sunaivod » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:11 pm

Wow that guy is crazy, the track is pretty good and I'm not into hiphop
It would be dope if someone could rap on this. Normal hiphop is too boring for me, but this is good.

Trip Downtown

Post by Trip Downtown » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:26 pm

Epic tune! Love it. If the guy doesn't wanna do anything on it get someone else, the track has big potential imo. Just (as someone mentioned) don't settle for typical top 40 hiphop lyrics, settle for EPIC.

As for criticism, lose the change-down at 0:14 and don't hit the gated-ness until the beat kicks in. Those things sound a little cheesy on their own imo, with everything else going in the track they work nicely though.

In conclusion, find a better open minded MC, finish it. 8)

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:04 pm

i know it's only 4 pages long at this point but i don't feel like reading the whole thread so i don't know if i'm repeating what everyone else has said.

i agree with the few posts i did read. now, don't get me wrong. i like your song and i like that hip hop is getting dancy and i dig gated synths as much as the next guy. for this song to be more "hip-hop" (which i hate even saying anything you would here on the radio is hip-hop because it's not!), you need to slow this song down, and take out the gated synth. it needs to be more minimal for an MC to spit to. you've got was could be a good breaks tune, not a hip hop tune. leave the orchestra in though, it sounds good. just minimalize the shit out of the song. if you insist on leaving the synths in, take out a few notes so that is has some space to breath. electronic music tends to fill every crevice with some sort of sound, but the way i see it is that rap music tends to be filled with vocals, not instruments. tell ur rapper to record himself and build the song around that if he's actually capable of flowing without the backing music.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:10 pm

my ableton familia,

thanks for all the constructive criticism and I really appreciate all the input. I agree with what alot of you said and it's not what's considered hip hop.. It may have elements of hip hop thrown in there, but it's mixed with alot of different things which is probably a result of my influences which greatly crosses many genres. I've never limited myself to listening to specific genre's and I think it shows a bit in my productions. But isn't that how genre's evolve by mixing in different styles and trying different things? But I guess my main gripe with this cat was he said to do a beat and make it different and that's what I did. It wasn't my intention to do traditional hip hop but something different and thought he might be open to it. If he spit over it, off course I would change up the song a bit to make room for his vocals but I think he was too quick too judge. I would have been willing to work with him but I think he needs another producer who probably specializes in mainstream hiphop. Oh well, my group gets the track and we're pretty diverse and we'll do something with it.. . so I guess I'm not hip hop in the traditional sense which is cool so I'll just be. next up is a break up song for you sensitive bitches.. I think John Gordon needs it..

nux

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:05 am

like I said I like your music but tread lightly when mentioning the shock and awe that is John Gordon less
you make the mistake of many a dead men, demons, and angels alike for it is not i before e except after c
but J before G after abandoning all else that mere human beings like ourselves must concern ourselves with

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:19 am

starving student wrote:like I said I like your music but tread lightly when mentioning the shock and awe that is John Gordon less
you make the mistake of many a dead men, demons, and angels alike for it is not i before e except after c
but J before G after abandoning all else that mere human beings like ourselves must concern ourselves with
WTF? lol.. when i say sensitive bitches, I include myself.. after all, I am the one who takes meds for a breakup that occurred 3 years ago. and like John Gordons predicament, she too was married but i didn't know until after the fact.. I guess I wasn't hip hop enough for her also..

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:20 am

Robot Love
A Poem/Rap
BY
Throwaway

Sprockets, gears and springs
That tin metal ass makes me want to get em them jeans
01010011 Thats just me talking dirty to my programmed hunny bun
Motor oil, l.e.d.s and ribbon cables
when Im hot and ready
shes willing and able

(Bee ba ba Boop)
What girl? Your Crazy!
(bap bap Barooom)
Oh yeah?
(beep beep click)
Goddamn your sick!

But she knows Ill do it
My robot love
makes me get to it
Lube up my ass
on the bed
My robot girl's straght giving head
eew she loves it when i rap like easy e
shes my robot girl I got to give her the beepety bee

To be continued....

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:21 am

^ Fuck yeah!!! :lol:

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:29 am

Nux can I get a BEAT?

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:40 am

That was pretty tight. But the rappers right. This has more of a Crystal Method Breakbeat feel to it. My suggestion is less synth (Moog sounds are good tho) more straight forward beat (Less in the filler and more in the kick and snare) And thats about it.
Because Whatever.