Good mic for acoustic guitar?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bodhi71

Good mic for acoustic guitar?

Post by bodhi71 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:30 pm

I am still picking up my jaw off the floor from buying a Duet, using a SM57.
But I know there are better microphones out there for recording Acoustic guitars.
I want to keep the price less than 500.00. Preferably no more than 200.00, I have spent
more than my share this year.
Since realizing how good this thing sounds recording acoustics, I can't put the damn thing down.
I was up past midnight writing and had to be up at 5:00.
In fact, I missed the past 2 days of work.

nebulae

Re: Good mic for acoustic guitar?

Post by nebulae » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:46 pm

I love my Studio Projects C1 for vocals and acoustic guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWEqaABbujI

Grahambo!

Post by Grahambo! » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:49 pm

Oktava Mc-012

bodhi71

Post by bodhi71 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:54 pm

That's cool....
I've been a guitard for 25+ years, and nothing has moved me more than the Duet. I play all kinds of music but usually keep the acoustic stuff unrecorded because I couldn't document my playing that well ( two handed, slap, ect.) In fact I had totally given up on acoustic guitar, I never had that much luck getting down to tape or hard disk whatever.
I damn near cried when I played through headphones, with a little bit of reverb. :oops:
With that said, I want to get the most out of that little silver box.
My chick even had to give praise to this thing.

Edit; Studio Project C1, Oktava Mc-012. Price point, Condensor,Ribbon,Dynamic? What do you like/dislike about them?

Thanks.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:55 pm

bodhi71 wrote:I am still picking up my jaw off the floor from buying a Duet, using a SM57... Since realizing how good this thing sounds recording acoustics, I can't put the damn thing down...
Sounds like you have a sound you like.

I personally haven't found the answer to this question yet. I've gotten decent sounds with large diaphragms (AKG 414 BULS), I've gotten decent sounds with two AKG 414 BULS in stereo patterns, I've gotten good sounds with dynamics - once you find the sweet spot poisition.

Ribbon microphones are often used for acoustics. I've never owned one or used one, so I can't suggest one.

The thing that impresses me when I hear good acoustic guitar recordings is when they sit in a complex mix of sounds, yet they're still full + pretty + present.

gtodd876

Post by gtodd876 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:07 pm

My advice is to do some research over at the www.gearslutz.com forums

Do some searches on acoustic guitar and you'll come up with more info and advice than you've ever wanted:)
-----------------------------------------------
Todd Matthews
http://www.facebook.com/mydarlingfury
http://twitter.com/mydarlingfury | http://mydarlingfury.com

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:11 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:The thing that impresses me when I hear good acoustic guitar recordings is when they sit in a complex mix of sounds, yet they're still full + pretty + present.
But is the mix "warm" and also "punchy" ?

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:06 pm

bodhi71 wrote:That's cool....
I've been a guitard for 25+ years,
didnt some one on this forum invented the word "guitard" ?
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:06 pm

http://www.zzounds.com/item--RODNTK

If you get this mic at the factory resealed price, you are getting an amazing truly pro mic for acoustic guitars, vocals, and any acoustic instrument (flutes, violins, etc).

The Rode K2 is also excellent but a little more than you're recommended price. The AKG 414 range are also good, as is the Shure KSM 32.

For a non tube mic, the Rode NT1-A is really good and is on sale for about half it's retail price of $450, I've seen it as low as $219 recently.

As you can tell, I am a fan of Rode mics. Even the cheapest condenser, the M3, is really good on acoustic guitars, but is only cardiod directional, so less flexible for some other tasks.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:28 pm

Pretty hard to buy a crappy condenser these days. A bargain large or small will do it.

guitar/part/player is of course the other 99%

bagginz

Post by bagginz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:38 am

Rode M3 condensor, excellent on acoustic guitars.

Sounds fab and incidentally the specs. are top notch

IMO no need for valves, high price tags or any extra placebos...

cheers,
bagginz

madlab

Post by madlab » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:02 am

Hidden Driveways wrote:
bodhi71 wrote:I am still picking up my jaw off the floor from buying a Duet, using a SM57... Since realizing how good this thing sounds recording acoustics, I can't put the damn thing down...
Sounds like you have a sound you like.

I personally haven't found the answer to this question yet. I've gotten decent sounds with large diaphragms (AKG 414 BULS), I've gotten decent sounds with two AKG 414 BULS in stereo patterns, I've gotten good sounds with dynamics - once you find the sweet spot poisition.

Ribbon microphones are often used for acoustics. I've never owned one or used one, so I can't suggest one.
Beyer dynamic M160, you could pick one second hand in that price bracket.
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:35 am

MXL990/991 pack modded (you don't even have to do anything super crazy, just desolder and then solder back a very small number of parts)

you could get the mic pack for $100, and still have money left over for a great iron to do the mod with, as well as a great beginning project for soldering (if you aren't already into it).

Here's instructions/pics of the mod:

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/index.php?topic=5156.0

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:02 am

on the budget i like Rode NT1A and the NT2A (NT1A around 160 euros, very good value for money and a very quiet mic)

my personal weapon is the ADK Vienna (costs about 350 euro and is easy up to parr with neumanns!)

or i like classic AKG 414 or neumman TLM 103 / U87 it all depends a bit on the preamps and basic guitar tone, etc., etc. as well...

never use ribbons myself either...

but i got very good results out of a SM 57 as well... it really depends on many other factors then only the mic, the style played, what type of strings used... if you want to capture a lot of the room as well, etc. etc.

still the ADK Vienna (and if you want the real killer combo, buy later a 'the brick' preamp) is to me one of the, if not the best large diaphragm mic around, and the price is a laugh. i personally prefer that anyday over a neumann or schoeps.. those neumanns are actually damn noisy mics, by the way... yes they sound beautiful, but they are noisy as well.
*** Image GAFM ***

feyshay

Post by feyshay » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:03 pm

I'd recommend a Shure SM81.
A more expensive LDC route would be the AT 4050 (which has a lot more uses besides).