2 computers synchronization problem

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
igors

2 computers synchronization problem

Post by igors » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:54 am

Did somebody tried to synchronize 2 Abletons running on 2 computers via MIDI ?
How to do that????

thnks

_

by-pass

Post by by-pass » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:56 pm

Hi,
I have start to work with other peoples people 2 years ago, after few tests with the midi syncro, we work like a dj, make choice together about bpm speed, and one start and the other syncronize with the sound speed like djing with turntable... that's wotk really well.
--> for info: http://www.music0films.info
--> Material:
  • Macpro, Yamaha 01X, APC 40, Novation Nocturn 25 , Ableton Live + Max4live + Serato Scratch Live
  • Macbook pro, RME multiface, Korg nanoPAD, nanoKeys, Ableton Live + Max4live

Petteri Karjalainen

Post by Petteri Karjalainen » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:28 am

yeh .. sync is for suckers ...
when youre running ableton on both machines .. syncing by ear is just fine :)
just shout out the bpms and off you go ;)
Ableton Live 2->
Macbook C2D 2.0ghz/4gb ram
RME Fireface 400
Ambient Sequencer AS-606

George

Why?

Post by George » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:19 pm

I use midi to sync both computers...
...in that way , I have more time to develop musical ideas and do a better song in less time with my friends.
Who cares about manual sync???? :?

igors

Post by igors » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:12 am

Thanks for replies but I'd really like to know how you do that. I mean do you use sort of software clock or only 2 Abletons or Ableton + Reason are just fine? I tried to do this but something is wrong.
I must add that I use REMOTE 25 as a MIDI OUT port.

:roll: :?:

smutek

Post by smutek » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:00 pm

Both machines have to have some type of midi interface.

Run the midi out from your master machine to the midi in on the slave machine.

On your master machine go to Ableton/Prefs - midi/sync - and on the output dropdown choose your interface that will be sending midi to the slave.

On your slave machine go to Ableton/Prefs - midi/sync - and on the input dropdown choose the interface that will be recieving midi from the master.

On your slave machine activate the external sync switch. This is to the left of the tempo indicator and is marked EXT.

You should be all set. When you run your master machine the slave should follow.

Run the metronome on both machines and in Ableton / prefs - midi/sync adjust the sync delay until the machines are matched.

If you happen to be using two airport equipped macs running osx than download iMidi. It allows you to midi sync two macs running osx through the airports, no interfaces or midi cables needed, and I must say it works great!

Good luck.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:21 pm

smutek wrote:download iMidi. It allows you to midi sync two macs running osx through the airports, no interfaces or midi cables needed.
8O 8O 8O Thats crazy talk!!! VERY impressed! *polishes floor with jaw*

cope

Post by cope » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:30 pm

for you pc guys, try midioverlan: http://www.musiclab.com/products/rpl_info.htm . Also available for mac.

Gotek

Post by Gotek » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:22 pm

Hi , we were trying to do the same on many different PCs, and we didt not succed once to get the two PC in synchronization...
I think the problem comes from the type of sync signal that live is giving as output: if u put Live in slave u can choose between two different type of sync : 1-TIME CODE MIDI, 2-MIDI CLOCK .
I was testing the ynchronization with a korg EMX1, Live as slave.
The sync type in this case must be MIDI CLOCK, and once setted in this way live recognize the Sync Signal.
But if i was connectin two PC, both kind of sync inut types were unsuccesful.. in my opinionis there should be a control that lets u set the kind of MIDI synchronization OUTPUT, in the way to set on the Live Master machine a MIDI CLOCK output sync, as well as on the Slave machine.

I had also some problem to simply send sync from live to the EMX1, cause the sync is not stable, after some time the machines are not in sync anymore.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:01 pm

perosnally i cant get it work properly - the latency causes a drift after several minutes... still not found a solution. (between an apple powerbook and a Dell lapy)

James Talk

Post by James Talk » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:46 pm

i tried this last week and it worked perfectly both laptops were perfectly in time, and running along side each other, the midi latency between the 2 was about 18ms but i just adjusted the timing in ableton prefs and it was perfect, it didnt drift at all.

in a couple of weeks i will be trying to sync up my pc laptop with an apple powerbook i will let u know wat happens.

thanks
Sony Vaio VGN-215M, Intel Centrino 1.6ghz, 512 Ram, 60gb 5400rpm Drive, ATI Radeon 9200. M-Audio Firewire 410. Evoluion UC-33e Controller.

doki_pen

Post by doki_pen » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:29 am

Gotek did you click the little EXT button?

I use MIDI to sync up two computers and it works great. Just use the metronome method on both machines and you'll be swinging.

I then have my ES-1's and my buddy's ER-1 hooked to the MIDI out on my machine. I have a sample on the ES-1 of the metronome beep in live and have a pattern that plays this on the quarter notes. Works perfect!

Jon

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:34 pm

I've synced two laptops in the past without any major issues, just set the sync offset once, and you're off.

I've had problems receiving clock from my Doepfer Schaltwerk. Apparently my midi interface got bogged down when I played into Live at the same time. So I switched the schaltwerk to the midi i/o built into my fw410, and it's been rock-solid ever since, woohoo.