Hackintosh Experts - Need Info

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nebulae

Hackintosh Experts - Need Info

Post by nebulae » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:04 pm

1. Which is the best and latest build of hackintosh to use? Kaleway or what?
2. Do you need to format any external drives to Fat32 so that they can be read by OSX after installing? What I'm asking is what's the easiest way to transfer files over from a PC to a Mac? Like the Live library.

citizenchris099

Re: Hackintosh Experts - Need Info

Post by citizenchris099 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:43 pm

nebulae wrote:1. Which is the best and latest build of hackintosh to use? Kaleway or what?
2. Do you need to format any external drives to Fat32 so that they can be read by OSX after installing? What I'm asking is what's the easiest way to transfer files over from a PC to a Mac? Like the Live library.
Um prolly not the best idea to ask how to do an illegal thing here. Besides aren't their dedicated sites for this sort of thing??

dextroc

Post by dextroc » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:49 pm

1. I don't know the answer to. I just use a plain official macbook pro i bought in 2006. Still works wonders for me.
2. depends on what you want to do. if you need to be transferring files back and forth between the hackingtosh and another windows pc, then you should format it in fat 32. Sucks having fat 32, though, since it's slow and limited. if you only need to transfer files once, there's no need to format it. mac osx reads ntfs, it just can't write on it. then, i think i recall seeing somewhere some programs that help you write to ntfs on mac and a program for windows that does the same for htfs. might be wrong about that, tho.

anyway, hope that helps...
Yup...
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz, Ableton Live Suite 8, Max/MSP/Jitter, TC Konnekt 24d, Remote SL 25, Monome, joysticks, music boxes, harps, guitars, whatever...

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:50 pm

citizenchris099 wrote:
nebulae wrote:1. Which is the best and latest build of hackintosh to use? Kaleway or what?
Um prolly not the best idea to ask how to do an illegal thing here. Besides aren't their dedicated sites for this sort of thing??
He's right you know. Maybe try here.
Unsound Designer

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:51 pm

citizenchris099 wrote:
Wow, 9 posts, and you're already telling me how to behave. Kudos, Dallas brutha. :)

So as I was saying,

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:58 pm

dextroc wrote: 2. depends on what you want to do. if you need to be transferring files back and forth between the hackingtosh and another windows pc, then you should format it in fat 32. Sucks having fat 32, though, since it's slow and limited. if you only need to transfer files once, there's no need to format it. mac osx reads ntfs, it just can't write on it. then, i think i recall seeing somewhere some programs that help you write to ntfs on mac and a program for windows that does the same for htfs. might be wrong about that, tho.

Finally someone with a helpful post - thx.

So if I have an external drive that has a copy of my Live Library, and it's an NTFS drive, I should be able to read it into my Hackintosh?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:02 pm

nebulae wrote:
dextroc wrote: 2. depends on what you want to do. if you need to be transferring files back and forth between the hackingtosh and another windows pc, then you should format it in fat 32. Sucks having fat 32, though, since it's slow and limited. if you only need to transfer files once, there's no need to format it. mac osx reads ntfs, it just can't write on it. then, i think i recall seeing somewhere some programs that help you write to ntfs on mac and a program for windows that does the same for htfs. might be wrong about that, tho.

Finally someone with a helpful post - thx.

So if I have an external drive that has a copy of my Live Library, and it's an NTFS drive, I should be able to read it into my Hackintosh?
Yes. OS X can read NTFS, just can't write to the NTFS formatted external (edit: without some extra voodoo app).
Unsound Designer

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:03 pm

nebulae wrote:
citizenchris099 wrote:
Wow, 9 posts, and you're already telling me how to behave. Kudos, Dallas brutha. :)

So as I was saying,
so what amount of posts does it take to point out the obvious? While you're at it why not ask the best method for hacking Ableton?? Sheesh. This is a forum hosted by a software company and you're asking how to illegally use another companies software....am I missing something?? And yes as you pointed out I'm new to the forum...but yeah I wasn't born yesterday.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:07 pm

citizenchris099 wrote:so what amount of posts does it take to point out the obvious?
brotha, don't even get me started... :oops:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:12 pm

citizenchris099 wrote:you're asking how to illegally use another companies software....am I missing something??
Quite a bit, actually...

1. Read this: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/illegal

2. Read this: http://www.applematters.com/article/are ... s-illegal/

3. Read this: http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-bu ... -to-finish - this is where one BUYS the OS.

Then feel free to have a discussion with me about how violating the EULA is not the same as murder (the first being a violation of usage, the second being actually illegal).

Then, 4. Give your high horse a rest, and climb off it.

(also, bring bigger guns to your next fight...I don't take prisoners)

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:20 pm

nebulae wrote:
citizenchris099 wrote:you're asking how to illegally use another companies software....am I missing something??
Quite a bit, actually...

1. Read this: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/illegal

2. Read this: http://www.applematters.com/article/are ... s-illegal/

3. Read this: http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-bu ... -to-finish - this is where one BUYS the OS.

Then feel free to have a discussion with me about how violating the EULA is not the same as murder (the first being a violation of usage, the second being actually illegal).

Then, 4. Give your high horse a rest, and climb off it.

(also, bring bigger guns to your next fight...I don't take prisoners)
seems the crap you have to go through to accomplish the goal of getting OS X on a pc is antithetical to the over all mac experience of "it just works"
Have fun w/ur fake Mac though.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:22 pm

nebulae wrote:1. Which is the best and latest build of hackintosh to use?
The first one's free, then you're hooked. You'll get a glossy macbook pro, you'll be wearing tight pegged jeans and a turtleneck, letting your hair grow over your face a bit, attempting a beard, and visiting Seattle, begging me to take you to the first Starbucks, instead of to Redmond.

Happened to Adam Jay, it'll happen to you, mark my words. :twisted:

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:25 pm

citizenchris099 wrote: seems the crap you have to go through to accomplish the goal of getting OS X on a pc is antithetical to the over all mac experience of "it just works"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o2BWpN4Sps
20-30 minutes to install...you're right, that sure is a whole lot of work. Can't wait for my fake mac to boot up. I bet the first window says, "Congratulations! How would you like to spend that extra $2000 you just saved?"

BTW, thx for dropping your illegal argument. It's good to cut bait when you're completely overwhelmed.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:28 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
nebulae wrote:1. Which is the best and latest build of hackintosh to use?
The first one's free, then you're hooked. You'll get a glossy macbook pro, you'll be wearing tight pegged jeans and a turtleneck, letting your hair grow over your face a bit, attempting a beard, and visiting Seattle, begging me to take you to the first Starbucks, instead of to Redmond.

Happened to Adam Jay, it'll happen to you, mark my words. :twisted:
Actually, I'm doing this as a pure experiment to prove that OSX isn't any better than Win7. But I'll take you up on the coffee and other gay crap you mentioned.

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:41 pm

nebulae wrote:
citizenchris099 wrote: seems the crap you have to go through to accomplish the goal of getting OS X on a pc is antithetical to the over all mac experience of "it just works"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o2BWpN4Sps
20-30 minutes to install...you're right, that sure is a whole lot of work. Can't wait for my fake mac to boot up. I bet the first window says, "Congratulations! How would you like to spend that extra $2000 you just saved?"

BTW, thx for dropping your illegal argument. It's good to cut bait when you're completely overwhelmed.
No problem...just not interested in proving I'm right and or proving you're wrong. The only thing I'm overwhelmed by the simple fact that no one has ever convinced anyone on the internet they disagree with they are wrong. So lets be friends. ; )

What sort of box/laptop you installing OS X to?