Call for Input

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
andrewbenson

Call for Input

Post by andrewbenson » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:46 pm

Hello Everyone,
I am working on a Cycling74.com feature on Max-for-Live, and would love to see what you guys are building as you try out the software.
What was the first device you created?
What types of devices are you excited about making or seeing other people make?
What are you planning to build with Max-for-Live?
Would you like to share any of your creations with the Max and Live communities?

If you would like to share your thoughts and devices, please Email me directly at andrewb@cycling74.com. Be sure to include links to your personal website should we feature your device or project in a web article.

Thanks,
Andrew Benson
--
Cycling '74

stefan-tiedje

Re: Call for Input

Post by stefan-tiedje » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:38 am

andrewbenson wrote:What was the first device you created?
The first was an additive synthesizer ported from a project I did in my summer holidays, but it would crash Live reproducible on every save...
As I could not proceed with that, I successfully ported an old filter pluggo I made several years ago. This one is also crashing Live, but not that frequently (takes some minutes of automatically interpolating its presets...;-)
All sort of Synths/Samplers and Midi controlled Effects.
At the moment I am excited about recreating my "Polyrische Variationen" as a Live set which would use a bunch of algorithmic Midi generators all linked together.
I already created some devices which can route Midi to other devices freely. I'll try to port my spatialisation pluggos to M4L and
YASL (Yet Another Software Looper (as if there weren't enough around already...;-)).
YAAS (Yet Another Additive Synthesizer (the crashing one)).
Maybe a YAG (Yet Another Granulator) and some shredding devices. (Once my boss gave me the name DJ Shredder for a reason...;-)
Would you like to share any of your creations with the Max and Live communities?
I shared the filter already, and yes I'll share a lot...
I will publish a remix project for "Polyrische Variationen". Basically providing the algorithms and the remixer would then be able to choose the sounds and mix a new collage.
"Polyrische Variationen" was originally created back in 1986 with a custom program, first running on an Apple ][ compatible computer, written in Turbo-Pascal, and later on a 68000 machine called Gepard, written in Modula II. And again later I ported it to Max...

All together I am excited about my new toys...

Stefan
Les Ondes Mémorielles-----x---
--____-----------|----------|----
--(_|_ ----|\-----|-----()--------
-- _|_)----|-----()---------------
----------()----------TJ Shredder
http://tjshredder.wordpress.com/

andrewbenson

Post by andrewbenson » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:10 pm

Please EMAIL me offlist with your responses if you would like to participate.

Andrew B.
andrewb at cycling74 dot com

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:21 pm

andrewbenson wrote:Hello Everyone,
I am working on a Cycling74.com feature on Max-for-Live, and would love to see what you guys are building as you try out the software.

If you would like to share your thoughts and devices, please Email me directly at andrewb@cycling74.com. Be sure to include links to your personal website should we feature your device or project in a web article.

Thanks,
Andrew Benson
--
Cycling '74
first I built a robust LFO for M4L...

second I've built a Midi routing 'hub' with 6 input/filters 6 outputs/filters and also 2 OSC i/o...
I use it to route Midi around the studio..

third was some violent envelope following filters...

fourth was (still is ) a control surface for the evolver desktop...
(all that's left to do there are some touch ups..and figure out how to send/receive preset 'dumps')

next up are some jitter and trying to figure out live.remote.. :mrgreen:

and I also plan to build a huge modulation section for live...
(which I plan to make 'touchscreen' friendly GUI..)

andrewbenson

Post by andrewbenson » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:13 pm

Hi 3dot,
Please send me an email offlist. Thanks!

Andrew B.

josquin2000

Post by josquin2000 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:57 pm

Gosh, I just noticed that itable does not respond to keyboard edit commands, as did the old table object in edit mode. This makes the edit-ability of the itable not nearly as good as the original table object's edit window! (cut, copy, paste!!!)
I know, I can set the tool to use with itable, but without keyboard editing (cut, copy, paste!!!) the use is deeply limited. I have tried using the itable just for display, and popping the edit window, but
a) is there an api for table like the itable for managing the tools?
b) can we get keyboard edit commands to work with the itable?

i can use length to dynamically adjust my access to the table, but
Really, now SELECTTOOL is fairly useless without copy and paste commands!

Perhaps there is unpublished API for this?

Or can we get it?
Or I think I might well stick with itable just for display, and table for editing (both looking at same data by tablename...)

Any help guys? This is a bit of a show stopper for me, right now...

l&k
j2k
aka
baker@charlieb.com

julienb

Post by julienb » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:20 pm

andrewbenson wrote:Hello Everyone,
a big patch interface for my own controller named protodeck: http://www.julienbayle.net/diy/protodeck/
I'm working on it yet cause I still have things to fix...
andrewbenson wrote: What types of devices are you excited about making or seeing other people make?
synth
andrewbenson wrote: What are you planning to build with Max-for-Live?
after this interface patch, I'll make a monome-pages apps translation in a patch in order to avoid working with java directly.
andrewbenson wrote: Would you like to share any of your creations with the Max and Live communities?
yes.
I'm in an open-source way as it is shown on my website.
I'm publishing and will publish all about my protodeck controller.
andrewbenson wrote: If you would like to share your thoughts and devices, please Email me directly at andrewb@cycling74.com. Be sure to include links to your personal website should we feature your device or project in a web article.

Thanks,
Andrew Benson
--
Cycling '74
as soon as I'll have my patch ok, I'll put it on my website and send it to you !!
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

synnack

Post by synnack » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:01 am

3dot... wrote:first I built a robust LFO for M4L...
Dude, post that to maxforlive.com!
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

synnack

Post by synnack » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:08 am

The first thing I did was prototype an idea I always had where a device listens on a midi track for in coming notes and sends a bang to a different device that receives them and uses that to bang out frames of a video (via jitter). Pretty fun way to make perfectly synced video effects.

Second thing was to take an LFO patch I made in Max and convert it to a device that modulated Operator parameters.

What is most exciting is to see what people do that I would have never thought of. In that sense I'm excited about what I don't know to be excited about yet.

Absolutely! So much so I've created an entire site dedicated to user-supplied device sharing. http://www.maxforlive.com
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:54 am

tempus3r wrote:
3dot... wrote:first I built a robust LFO for M4L...
Dude, post that to maxforlive.com!
bah... I need more TIME !!!! I've not had a chance to tidy/fix my patches yet..
but when they're done I will. :mrgreen: