beta expiration

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
monohusche

beta expiration

Post by monohusche » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:46 am

hey there,

My 8.1b5 Live version shows an expiration date of 22/10/2009 which is the day after tomorrow but it still seems to be the latest installer. Does that mean that the beta period will be finished after that, or will there be a new version tomorrow ?

I am wondering as nobody else seems to mention that.

cheers, nick

julienb

Re: beta expiration

Post by julienb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:27 am

ahah
I mentionned that on my facebook profile too :D

indeed, I'm curious about a new beta? a RC?
I guess a new beta as a lot of concept have not been yet tested by...us. I think about control_surfaces objects, etc etc
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

cassiel.com

Post by cassiel.com » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:57 am

monohusche wrote:I am wondering as nobody else seems to mention that.

cheers, nick
This is potentially a serious problem for people who are already using Max for Live for important projects with deadlines. (I have a harpsichord and electronics piece to be performed in three weeks.)

One could argue that it's unwise to use beta software for anything critical, and/or on stage. Possibly, but I have a reasonable feel for how reliable MfL is in terms of the software, and have planned the performance accordingly. At the moment, the higher risk seems to be expiry of a limited-time beta just before a performance.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:27 am

Ableton will always try their hardest to get you a new beta before the current one expires.
The whole reasoning behind the expiration dates is that users will always be running the latest versions and therefore not report bugs that have already been fixed.
And generally the last beta will run a few days after the released version comes out. Giving people some time to take care of their order without having to miss a day of Live.

That being said, it has happened that we were without beta. But its usually paired with extreme problems like the server that compiles the code, crashing overnight. Which is usually followed by Alex popping up with a new beta around 4 AM Berlin time.
There are hundreds of people on this and other betas. They know what happens as soon as the sun sets in New-Zealand. :D

cassiel.com

Post by cassiel.com » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:36 am

hoffman2k wrote:Ableton will always try their hardest to get you a new beta before the current one expires.
The whole reasoning behind the expiration dates is that users will always be running the latest versions and therefore not report bugs that have already been fixed.
Sure - that makes sense. I'm just concerned about the risk of an accidental gap in the betas coinciding with a performance event.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:52 am

cassiel.com wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:Ableton will always try their hardest to get you a new beta before the current one expires.
Sure - that makes sense. I'm just concerned about the risk of an accidental gap in the betas coinciding with a performance event.
And its a valid concern. Worst case scenario you set back the computer clock. In the past 5 years over hundreds of betas, I only remember it happening 2 or 3 times. And the new beta always popped up just a few hours after expiration.
All I'm saying is that there is no need to get stressed yet. And if we should fall without a beta, please don't shoot me. I just gave you brief overview of having had the same concern dozens of times myself.
Even if this doesn't reassure you, its helping me relax a bit.

cassiel.com

Post by cassiel.com » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:22 am

hoffman2k wrote:And its a valid concern. Worst case scenario you set back the computer clock.
I don't know how Ableton implement their limited-time license, but PACE AP (for one) guards against clock changes.

stefan-tiedje

Post by stefan-tiedje » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:15 pm

cassiel.com wrote:I'm just concerned about the risk of an accidental gap in the betas coinciding with a performance event.
In this beta stage I would not necessarily rely on a beta version in performance. This is common advice for all betas. Don't blame anybody if a performance fails because you use a beta... (No matter when the next arrives...)

...(I do it also all the time...;-)

Stefan
Les Ondes Mémorielles-----x---
--____-----------|----------|----
--(_|_ ----|\-----|-----()--------
-- _|_)----|-----()---------------
----------()----------TJ Shredder
http://tjshredder.wordpress.com/

cassiel.com

Post by cassiel.com » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:35 pm

stefan-tiedje wrote:In this beta stage I would not necessarily rely on a beta version in performance. This is common advice for all betas. Don't blame anybody if a performance fails because you use a beta...
Hi Stefan!

No software comes with a warranty, so I think by and large it comes down to how one feels about the reliability of a particular set of releases, as well as what the vendor has to say about guarantees of data retention and compatibility between beta releases (remember the early days of [pattr] within Max?).

MfL still has its issues - as you say, it's still in beta - so I've gauged what I'm doing on stage to minimise the risk. I think, in the end, the only way to seriously test a piece of software is to dogfood it.

stefan-tiedje

Post by stefan-tiedje » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:20 pm

Where are you going to hit the road? just curious...

Stefan
Les Ondes Mémorielles-----x---
--____-----------|----------|----
--(_|_ ----|\-----|-----()--------
-- _|_)----|-----()---------------
----------()----------TJ Shredder
http://tjshredder.wordpress.com/

cassiel.com

Post by cassiel.com » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:29 pm

November 12th.

Shoddily cropped image for the event on this page: http://www.cassiel.com/space/Projects/Shard.

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:26 am

cassiel.com wrote:November 12th.

Shoddily cropped image for the event on this page: http://www.cassiel.com/space/Projects/Shard.
Very cool Cassiel. Good luck with the show!
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:29 am

cassiel.com wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:And its a valid concern. Worst case scenario you set back the computer clock.
I don't know how Ableton implement their limited-time license, but PACE AP (for one) guards against clock changes.
It used to work. But I guess now pace is blended in, there will probably be errors.

Anybody seen Alex? :wink:

julienb

Post by julienb » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:54 am

dixit: http://www.ableton.com/beta

Live 8 beta testing is over

Live 8 beta testing has ended. Again, we would like to say "Thank You" to all Live users who participated during beta testing!
I guess christmas will come before christmas and soon :-)
Julien Bayle

julienb

Post by julienb » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:10 am

wow, the message on this url has changed ...
suspens is here :-P
Julien Bayle